What's new

Bad Cold and no power under 2000 revs

Bigwig1

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CDTI
My 2005 tourer CDTI I recently acquired is becoming very asthmatic and rough when started from cold and needs some nursing to rev properly, Which after a minute or so, it does. It also has no power under 2000 rpm at which point the turbo kicks in and it lurches like a spurred horse. Anybody give me any clues as to causes & remedies? Thx

Although fuel filter should definitely be done with a genuine honda item, this sounds more like an egr issue or possibly sticking turbo..

Book in with me for diagnostics.

I've no idea when the fuel filter was last changed. So will get this done pronto. I've just googled EGR and it seems to be something to do with recirculating exhaust gases, so I'll ask the mechanic to look at that too. (Sadly car engines are a mystery to me..) So thanks for these tips. Mr Fahad, I would love to book the car in with you for diagnostics, but as you appear to be in Halifax, and I live in the Irish Republic, there may be a slight logistical problem.?

Sorry I can't see location info when posting from my phone. Yes it sounds like an egr issue, ask him to temporarily blank it and see if it cures it. It will put the car into limp mode but you'll know if the lagging issue has gone.

Then look at either replacing or permanently removing the egr with an egr off tuning solution.

F6HAD said:
Sorry I can't see location info when posting from my phone. Yes it sounds like an egr issue, ask him to temporarily blank it and see if it cures it. It will put the car into limp mode but you'll know if the lagging issue has gone.

Then look at either replacing or permanently removing the egr with an egr off tuning solution.
Can u please explain why this power loss can be detected because the EGR valve?
Does it stuck open?

Yes exactly, not closing properly.. allows additional air into the inlet which ecu isn't expecting or it could just be slow operating and opening to a certain point and getting stuck

Excellent posts fahad one of the reasons I drive a petrol lol, turbo lag can be sticky egr valve or leak in one of the air pipes both very common fault you can test egr with vacuum tool and pipes if needed can be checked with leakdown test although as fahad said I would have said sticky egr as well

sent using tapatalk

honda_saj said:
Excellent posts fahad one of the reasons I drive a petrol lol, turbo lag can be sticky egr valve or leak in one of the air pipes both very common fault you can test egr with vacuum tool and pipes if needed can be checked with leakdown test although as fahad said I would have said sticky egr as well

sent using tapatalk

Like you mentioned this is why you drive a petrol... I'm with you on that... This is the first and last time i bought a turbo diesel car. In future for sure petrol and non turbo.

Absolutely non turbo petrol all the way but don't mind turbo on petrol as they last longer than diesel and are more reliable a lot of the new cars are using smaller engines with turbos

sent using tapatalk