What's new

Weird power steering leak

skhell

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8, 6th gen Accord
Hi guys,

Last weekend I replaced the clutch on my year 2000 1.8 Accord and something strange happened. I had no problem with the clutch job, but while doing it, I noticed a pool of oil forming on the driver side, under steering rack. I could not found where the oil was leaking or why it was leaking, but when I turned on the engine, I realized it was power steering fluid.

Here is what I did. I jacked the car up and put two jack stands under the car. I guess the car got with the front wheels 10cm off the ground. While doing the clutch job, I also turned the wheels by hand several times, (not using the the steering wheel, but pushing/pulling the brake calipers/discs).

When turning the wheels by hand I heard some "oil noise", but I didn't noticed if it leaked at that time, since I was busy with the clutch job.

Is there any reason for the power steering to leak because the car was with the front slightly raised or because I turned the wheels by hand? I suspect this is not normal... The weird thing is that before that I had no power steering leaks, or at least nothing significant...

Any ideias of what could be happening here?

If your power steering fluid/oil was filled just a bit over the MAX mark it's normal that when you turn the wheel ( it does not metter where/steering wheel or disc ) the oil will come out of the reservoir.
That happen because the power steering pump does not turn so it does not send the oil in the side of the steering rack where needed so the oposite side from that you turn.

Don't wory about it. It's normal if the power steering fluid is filled at MAX or higher

Jan Accord said:
If your power steering fluid/oil was filled just a bit over the MAX mark it's normal that when you turn the wheel ( it does not metter where/steering wheel or disc ) the oil will come out of the reservoir.
That happen because the power steering pump does not turn so it does not send the oil in the side of the steering rack where needed so the oposite side from that you turn.

Don't wory about it. It's normal if the power steering fluid is filled at MAX or higher
The problem is that it didn't came out of the reservoir, I think... The oil was dripping from the sub-frame structure/beam. The one where the front lower arm is connected to, but near the firewall. I have already ordered more Honda PSF to top the reservoir and then will turn the wheels with the engine off and try to figure out from where it is leaking.

BTW, do you guys know any safe alternative to Honda PSF? Recently the local Honda shop closed it's doors for and now the nearest Honda dealer is at 150km away :unsure:

On the drivers side of my steering rack there is a valve shaped thing (currently having a thick moment as I can't remember the name). Mine isn't leaking but was covered in liquid/muck, as I cleaned it up. Maybe mine was an old leak that was fixed but not cleaned up, but Could be a seal in there?

You will need to get the car up on ramps as it's quite far back.

I had a very similar issue around the same location. Noticed whilst doing some work a patch of oil. Took me ages to figure out where it was coming from and hadnt noticed any loss of fluids. As it turned out once I had cleaned all the surrounding area I noticed the PS pipe( think it's high pressure one) had a hair line crack/pin hole and the PS fluid was weeping. Think I made it worse by actually cleaning the crap of it in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still had no chance to take a good look at it. I will have to get under the car while someone is steering the wheels and try to find the leak. I also suspect there is a problem in the PS pipe.