• PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Name:John Smith
  • Car :'08 i-DTEC EX man 5D
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:55 AM

About £1000 it's cheaper to perform egr and dpf off with remap

sent using tapatalk

If I get a remap done to stop the DPF from being needed, my local garage tells me that that there is no need to physically remove the DPF.  Is this true?  He claims that the remap changes the burn chemistry and that no soot particles will be created, and that any that are created will simply be burned out of the DPF during longer/motorway journeys.

The trouble is that although this MIGHT be true(??) if the car is working perfectly, however I am worried that as the car ages (already 10 years, 100,000 miles) it might soot up again and that the back pressure might damage the engine & turbo. [From memory, F@had even thinks it might set fire to the car.]

So the obvious thing would be to remove the DPF physically. The trouble with that is that I am guessing that this could be visually obvious during any MOT.  So one option would be to take the DPF off an knock out all the internals i.e. the actual honeycomb of filtering pipe, and then put it back on. Presumably that would be almost impossible to check for during an MOT.

But I have just spent several hundred quid getting my DPF cleaned professionally. AND if I did fail the MOT, if I kept the cleaned DPF somewhere I could always replace the thing if pushed.

In my case the DPF's pressure sensor  has blown up and I am told that ONLY Honda make them and that they are cost £425 + labour to replace. So the temptation to remove the DPF is strong.

OR is there a way to get an second-hand dead DPF casing from somewhere, knock out the internals from THAT and fit that instead, still keeping my cleaned DPF in reserve. But if I did get that done, how obvious would it be during an MOT that this had happened?

Edited by ship69, 06 March 2019 - 10:27 AM.

Honda Accord Tourer (2007), 2.2 litre diesel, i-CTDI
Premier Tuning - Stage 1 (180bhp)

#42 Cliffordski

Cliffordski

And still...

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts
  • Name:Cliff
  • Car :06 Tourer 2.4 EX man
  • LocationCounty Durham

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

There's a nice 8th Gen 2.4 Tourer on Autotrader just now. Why not pay the deposit over the phone and then go and pick it up. They don't come up very often.

Life's too short for all this nonsense.

#43 rhinogolf

rhinogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Name:DAVE EDMONDSON
  • Car :7th&8th gen tourers
  • LocationYork

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:49 PM

I had mine removed with just over 80k by Fahad even before the DPF sign came on,the casing is still in place this was done about 3yrs ago it's now got 260k on Auto Ex Gt I've also got the tourer which also has had the DPF removed about 6yrs ago this has 270k on now(which I will be getting rid off shortly) never had a problem passing the new MOT.

#44 stellamon

stellamon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Name:Nick
  • Car :Accord 2.2i-DTEC
  • LocationShrewsbury

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:15 PM

I took mine up to Halifax to see Fahad for a dpf removal and they found out it had already been done.

Still wizzed through the mot though.