What's new

Water leak in rear passenger footwell and boot

GSTAR

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi all,

I have a 2004 (53 plate) Honda Accord 2.0L Petrol Manual

Since the last couple of weeks I've noticed a leak in my car. Basically the rear passenger footwells are soaking and in the boot space where the spare wheel is there is also an accumulation of water.

I've drained out all of this water but with the rainy weather lately it's been gathering up again. I cannot figure out what is causing the leak.

My car has a sunroof but I'm not certain whether that is the source of the leak. Over the weekend I ran water over the sunroof and back window and left it for half an hour or so. A small amount of water did appear in the boot so I checked all the seals and noticed one of the seals around the boot was a bit loose. So I reapplied this seal and that seemed to have stopped water getting in to the boot. However this morning it has re-appeared again in both the boot and rear footwells, which leads me to believe there must be a leak somewhere else.

The water itself is just plain water, it's definitely not coolant or any other type of liquid. Due to work commitments I haven't really had time to get it checked out and it would be a lot easier if I could at least pinpoint the source of the leak myself.

What can I try in order to diagnose it further?

You will have to strip out and follow water stains or you can use talculm powder trick

sent using tapatalk

A few things spring to mind, though I haven't had a car with a boot for some fifteen years.

Have you had a rear end shunt that might have moved the panels or the integrity of the locking mechanism ?

You could use a damp course meter on the upholstery to verify which area is wetter and therefore closer to the source.

My first check though (having had a Mk1 saloon where her final MOT check confirmed the only thing holding everything behind the rear axle to the car was the rear window) would be the conditon of the boot seal, looking for nics or perishing in the soft material.

Additionally a trapped leaf or crusty hard algae on the seam will also let water past. Use an old toothbrush to clear out debris.

There is also news of a poor weather weekend, so persuading the wife to sleep overnight in the rear might be in order.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. @Channel Hopper - I will carry out some further inspections when I get home from work tomorrow, although it's been proving difficult with it being dark by the time I get home.

What I'm finding is it is quite moist on the underside of the boot carpet. The spare wheel is also moist. There was around 50ml of water accumulated by this evening and the rear seat footwells were also wet.

I don't understand if there is a leak in the boot, how is it making its way down to the rear seat footwells? Unless there is more than one leak but that would be a strange co-incidence.

I'm gonna get it looked at on the weekend but in the meantime if anyone has any further suggestions, do let me know!

Thanks.

GSTAR said:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. @Channel Hopper - I will carry out some further inspections when I get home from work tomorrow, although it's been proving difficult with it being dark by the time I get home.

What I'm finding is it is quite moist on the underside of the boot carpet. The spare wheel is also moist. There was around 50ml of water accumulated by this evening and the rear seat footwells were also wet.

I don't understand if there is a leak in the boot, how is it making its way down to the rear seat footwells? Unless there is more than one leak but that would be a strange co-incidence.

I'm gonna get it looked at on the weekend but in the meantime if anyone has any further suggestions, do let me know!
After three years, is there any progress in investigating?