What's new

Does it always seem like you're fixing your car?

Goodluckmonkey

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
CN2
Admittedly, my accord has taken a hammering over the last 18 months.

It always seems like I'm fixing something, so I've just looked back at my records.

The amount of parts I've thrown at over the last 18 months is pretty horrific.

Oct '15 - 149k - Snapped Oilpump chain - Fitted used N22A2 Civic motor and turbo CHRA. Swapped injector needles too.

Jan '16 - 153k - New front suspension - upper and lower control arms, inner and outer track rod joints, drop links. (I like to change everything at once and have a car that drives tight)

Aug '16 - 168k - PAS high pressure hose, new driveshafts

Jan '17 - 171k - OSF Drop link - only lasted 18k!

There must be more value in the parts i've fitted than the car they were fitted to - I must be mad.

Has anyone else had a car that's been so parts hungry?

I changed a side light bulb yesterday, last year a vtec pressure switch, iirc correctly, which didn't cost an arm and a leg thankfully, but other than service stuff, no she's been ok for me so far

I've got three bulbs to replace and to muck about with the VSA light/sensor stuff before the MOT is up, and there is a knock under hard acceleration in first from the drive shaft that I will probably ignore (same with the slippping clutch).

I dislike intensely getting under cars, I always seem to get a piece of grit in the eye, which is probably why I have ridden bikes for somewhat longer.

Hahaha. That was why I gave up on cars years ago for four years. Hated getting dirt in my eyes.

Can't bring myself to buy a newer car either, and am really enjoying having a cheap one again. Probably because it drives quite well and I don't care if it gets mucky or dinged.

Before the accord I went car shopping with £15k of savings, and ended up with a £6k car and a brand new Triumph Tiger instead.

Funnily enough a similar thing happened with the accord. Bought a new 675 Daytona, spent a load of money on the house, and a cheap diesel to commute in.

Somehow my cheapo stopgap diesel has become a keeper too. It's already more than paid for itself in fuel savings, but I've no reason to change it. It doesn't even look that dated - last year I had a guy ask me if it was the new Volvo???

Before I bought the Honda I owned audi a6, added 48k on the clock over 3 years. Over the years it only needed a timing belt and general servicing. Then I had an A4 cabriolet for a year, only serviced once before selling it for the Accord as I needed to free up some funds. Since the Accord I've had a new clutch, blanked EGR and remap due to poor running. Messed about with xenons, brakes and discs all round twice, changed a ceased caliper, now the PS fluid is leaking and had issue with Limp mode. If it wasn't for the forum I would have got shot a long time ago, on the plus the mileage return is great, still looks OK. Apart from the scratches some **** put on it, the space inside is great, I carry plenty bikes on the back and now have roof bars installed. The seats and lumbar support is good, plenty toys inside, if I sell it it would only be to upgrade aesthetically as it does a job. For the Mrs this year I got a contract hire deal, on a skoda yeti, 2 yrs hand it back in, job done

Before the Accord i had Renault Twingo wtih 340.000km and the only thing i had to change was the TPS sensor which i got from the breakers for 10€ and the startr motor which was 180€ OEM...Just normal servicing and it still runs

The joys of petrol cars.
Our petrol civic's cost peanuts to keep, and my old 5th gen accord I had 10 years ago was the same. Shame the diesel's not as hardy.

Yep.

In hindsight is be much further ahead if I'd bought an old 1800 petrol 6th gen. Always loads floating around with no miles on them.

I hear you..

My Gen 5 is the most reliable car ever. Just well built, well thought out, out of the box great road holding and generally impervious to sloppy maintenance schedules. Just a shame that in a collision a newer car will use it and me as a crumple zone.

Being on this forum and seeing all the problems people are having makes me a bit nervous about the diesel, and I will be maintaining it a hell of a lot more regularly than the Gen 5.

My old 1800 gen 5 returned between 37 and 40mpg every tank, even when towing a trailer with 2 motorbikes on it.

The diesels the same on local trips, and only ever performs better on a motorway haul.

Honda never needed a diesel.

Disagree up to a point.

10-12 years ago things were very different in the world with fuel supplies and prices at the pump. Whilst the UK has horrendous taxation on fuel that means the consumer cost of a tank is roughly the same for each, elsewhere there could be a difference of some 35% when filling up.

That being said, I had been looking for a diesel since my last few vehicles were able to run on almost anything, Isuzu engine based Vauxhalls and the 1.7 Citroen BXs would happily run on 80% chip oil which was easily available 15 years ago. Problem is, times have changed and laws have come in on how shops dispose of the stuff so it's a rarity these days to find 25 litre cans lying around in alleyways. I'm also unsure if the Accord will digest the stuff without gumming up (and that fuel filter really is in a stupid place for regular cleaning).

Probably a better comparison would be from somebody with a high mileage petrol Accord, do they reach the magic 1/4 million miles without engine replacement ?