What's new

Induction help please

Robotchilli

Members
Reaction score
Car
Gen 7 Accord 2004
Hi all, hoping for some guidance for my 2004 cl7 2.0ltr.

I am looking for a short induction kit (I have no need for the cold air kit like a typhoon and don't want to spend almost £400)
I have had K&N 57i kits on my previous mx5's etc but I can only find such a kit for the 2.4accord and not for the 2ltr. It seems only the cold air typhoon is, listed form the 2.0ltr.

I have done some searches and noticed the s2000 cone filter cheap option but don't see how this would work for me as the maf is attached to the top lid of the air box so just taking the lid off and dropping in the s2000 cone doesn't seem like an option. Happy to stand corrected if someone knows something I don't on this.
Will the 2.4 short ram induction kit fit the 2.0ltr?

I am aware that heat soak will be an issue which I can live with. I am just looking for a better note when driving.
Any advice, pointers, guidance woulda be greatly appreciated folks.

2.4 products should fit. I believe they're the same at the intake stage. I think it's just the length of he piston & the cam profile that is the only notable difference between the 2.0 & 2.4.

Might want to double check with a second opinion though. I could be mistaken.

Thanks Steve that's helpful. All opinions or suggestions appreciated ☺

You could also simply remove the gigantic sound deadening resonator box inside the wheel well then fit a performance panel filter to the standard box. You'll get your noise minus the heat soak

Andyjdmteg said:
You could also simply remove the gigantic sound deadening resonator box inside the wheel well then fit a performance panel filter to the standard box. You'll get your noise minus the heat soak
That sounds like a realistic option thanks. Is something others have done with success?
Also where would this be located... noob question probably but I am new to Accords.

Cheers

Any other advice, guidance or experiences on this would be brilliant. Thanks

Check out stevearcades diy intake thread you'll find plenty of pictures to ***ist. With the bonnet open the air box sits just above the battery which feeds into a pipe that goes down, out of the engine bay and into a large resonator box inside the wheel arch area. You'll need to jack up the front passenger side. Remove the wheel then carefully pop the clips for the arch liner. There's also a couple of Phillips head screws. You'll plainly see the resonator box but to get access to some of the bolts you'll need to take off the front bumper which is actually quite simple and is a case of removing some clips/ bolts from underneath the front corner, remove the front under Bonner trim (just clips again) and carefully "pop" the bumper one side at a time then lift it away. Be careful of your fog light / headlamp washer cabling if you have them.
The aim is to remove the whole resonator leaving just the down pipe in place. I think a couple of people on here have tried this but if your willling to do all that then for less than 100 quid you could try steves solution.

Phew!

Ideal... nice write up, Andy! I'll take a look at Steve's DIY job and decide where to go from there. I'm defo not forking out over 350 notes on a K&N kit, so two really good alternatives by the sounds of things :D

Thanks Andy. Very informative but you are right. Going down the other route will be less of a faff than taking off bumpers etc.
I am away part of this week so will have a go at something as soon as I am back.
On another note I notice K&N have released a short arm universal kit which apparently comes highly rated compared to other "universal" kits which usually means they will fit sod all. Still not cheap at £180 but not as sore on the pocket as a Typhoon.

Yes there one of the few sites that seem to stock bits for our accords in the U.K.
The icebox has a fairly decent write up so could be a good option. I would still go down the diy route rather than paying for the short ram. Same result - far less money
Those quads look like a hoot

You'll need this filter or similar, ignore the link to US eBay you can get these in the U.K.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291595267815&alt=web

And probably this pipe or similar in a 76mm internal diameter, 100mm length although you could go longer

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Straight-Silicone-Hose-Coupling-Connector-Silicon-Rubber-Tube-Joiner-Pipe-Ash-/330688700173?var=&hash=item4cfe951f0d%3Am%3AmzixC55dtLFH1DxFnfqYPeg&_trkparms=pageci%253A6c29b670-14d2-11e7-8177-74dbd180ab6e%257Cparentrq%253A1c45719015b0a624ad475078fff4f9c7%257Ciid%253A16&varId=540055717749

Bingo, one short ram intake for way less than a hundred quid. Will sound epic, but heat soak like a b***h!
You'll also need a couple of larger hose clamps for like 2 quid
You could go full CIA for about another 20 quid with an elbow pipe, trust me this will sound great, avoid the heat soak (mostly) and getting that bumper off / on really is very straight forward I promise !

Andyjdmteg said:
You'll need this filter or similar, ignore the link to US eBay you can get these in the U.K.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291595267815&alt=web

And probably this pipe or similar in a 76mm internal diameter, 100mm length although you could go longer

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Straight-Silicone-Hose-Coupling-Connector-Silicon-Rubber-Tube-Joiner-Pipe-Ash-/330688700173?var=&hash=item4cfe951f0d%3Am%3AmzixC55dtLFH1DxFnfqYPeg&_trkparms=pageci%253A6c29b670-14d2-11e7-8177-74dbd180ab6e%257Cparentrq%253A1c45719015b0a624ad475078fff4f9c7%257Ciid%253A16&varId=540055717749

Bingo, one short ram intake for way less than a hundred quid. Will sound epic, but heat soak like a b***h!
You'll also need a couple of larger hose clamps for like 2 quid
You could go full CIA for about another 20 quid with an elbow pipe, trust me this will sound great, avoid the heat soak (mostly) and getting that bumper off / on really is very straight forward I promise !
So glad I saw this! I reckon this will be a great option and will also allow me to get a bit more hands on with my motor! Think i'll get longer than 10cm though and go for for 20cm and see where that gets me!

Is the main air filter box and resonator box part of the same connection or are they two separate things? If separate, can the resonator be left in situ once the air filter is on? :unsure:

As always, thanks!

EDIT: Am I still using some of the existing piping that's there so the sensor's can be secured to something? Hence, might only need 10cm as per your post, Andy?!

Just a word of warning, nothing bad about the product as I am a believer in adhering to the maintenance schedules of the manufacturer

K+N filters require frequent cleaning and re-oiling in dusty/damp environments to work correctly. Moreso if they are in an enclosure that sucks in air from the areas that might contaminate (behind motocycle engines where the carbs sit)

If you can, fit a baffle in front of the filter that does not restrict the cool fast moving air from natural forward motion, but shields it from the road dirt and crap from the usual suspects under the bonnet, including brakedust and incoming debris from the front grill.

After years of using a universal cone filter I came across a direct fit filter on eBay for my 01 f18 accord very similar to pic. Offered 12 quid on a best offer nd think I ended up paying 14 quid. Bargain! U may find something on their site. Power flow green cotton air filter.
a89cbfa476b5a5721eed1214fa691463.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done my homework properly now and re read some of the existing topics on here regarding the installation! I just need to order the parts and find the time to fit it.

Once done i'll post up pics, watch this space!...

The diy thread on here started by stevearcade is invaluable for reference guys. All the answers you seek are in that thread with regards to install etc.
Yes the pipe connected to the throttle that houses the sensors is retained.
The oem system comprises of that pipe into the air box which connects to the resonator ***embly via a "down pipe"

Andyjdmteg said:
The diy thread on here started by stevearcade is invaluable for reference guys. All the answers you seek are in that thread with regards to install etc.
Yes the pipe connected to the throttle that houses the sensors is retained.
The oem system comprises of that pipe into the air box which connects to the resonator ***embly via a "down pipe"
Very good explanation

sent using tapatalk