Photo

2017 F1 (potential results spoilers - may discuss results before Ch4 highlight show)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 freddofrog

freddofrog

won 16.4k on Euro lottery :)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • Name:.Freddo
  • Car :TBD
  • LocationOff abroad

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:51 AM

Well Vettel won in Melbourne, with Hamilton 2nd, Bottas 3rd.

I'm pleased that Vettel has won, and it looks like either Vettel or Hamilton is going to win the 2017 championship. Personally I don't want either of them to win the championship, I was quite pleased that Rosberg won it last year.

I can only hope that Honda somehow get their act together, not because it's Honda, more that I want to see Alonso up there at the front, just for a different person to be on the top of the podium. Either him, or either driver from Red Bull.

#2 Jon_G

Jon_G

No Longer Active

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,124 posts
  • Name:Jon
  • Car :2005 Tourer i-CTDi
  • LocationNr Ludlow, Shropshire

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

F1! Were you having trouble sleeping?

#3 Stevearcade

Stevearcade

TA Friend

• Super Moderators
  • 6,738 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car :2003 Accord CM2
  • LocationEastbourne

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

Rosberg annoyed me last year (and the year before that). A championship win is a championship win. Well done to him. I'm glad he chose to step down though, he's was a bit wet, if you know what I mean...

It's just a shame Williams re-employed Massa instead of bringing someone new, young and exciting in to drive. So rather than an older driver retiring and a young one coming into the sport to liven things up, an older driver retired and an even older driver came out of retirement to plug the vacancy on the grid. Grumble grumble grumble... 

Anyway, onto 2017, Lewis said Ferrari were going to be the team to beat after testing, guess he was right. I thought Lewis got an uncharacteristically strong start. His starts have been notoriously poor his entire career, often dropping places into the first corner. He shot off, but the Ferrari was very composed and performed very well in the turbulent air of the Mercedes. He kept Lewis honest whilst seeming to take better care of his its tyres which meant he could go longer and get the jump on Lewis in the pitting window. After that Lewis couldn't catch him, simple.

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out in China in two weeks when we're on a proper track with more overtaking opportunities, not a street circuit with limited opportunities for overtaking. I think it will be a more evenly matched race between Ferrari and Mercedes in two weeks time. In all, I'm quite excited for 2017 as it looks like it's going to be a tight year between Ferrari and Mercedes which means there'll hopefully be good racing. Also, thought the cars looked much more exciting and energetic with the new wheel sizes and aero specs.

It's worth noting that in recent years, the guy who wins the first race of the season went on to take the world title  ;)

My CM2 - Cold Air Intake with K&N Filter, Custom 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust, Reflashed ECU, Custom Made 8J Steelies from Extreme Offset, BC Racing Coilovers, Short Shifter, Type-R Gear Knob, XCarLink iPod Interface, Interior & Exterior LED Bulb Conversion, Wind Deflectors, Yellow Fog Lamps, JDM size plates, Type S Grill (with blacked out chrome), Front & Rear Type S Skirts.

#4 freddofrog

freddofrog

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • LocationOff abroad

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:41 PM

F1! Were you having trouble sleeping?

This happened Jon ......http://typeaccord.co...arent/?p=240371

Rosberg annoyed me last year (and the year before that). A championship win is a championship win. Well done to him. I'm glad he chose to step down though, he's was a bit wet, if you know what I mean...

It's just a shame Williams re-employed Massa instead of bringing someone new, young and exciting in to drive. So rather than an older driver retiring and a young one coming into the sport to liven things up, an older driver retired and an even older driver came out of retirement to plug the vacancy on the grid. Grumble grumble grumble... 

Anyway, onto 2017, Lewis said Ferrari were going to be the team to beat after testing, guess he was right. I thought Lewis got an uncharacteristically strong start. His starts have been notoriously poor his entire career, often dropping places into the first corner. He shot off, but the Ferrari was very composed and performed very well in the turbulent air of the Mercedes. He kept Lewis honest whilst seeming to take better care of his its tyres which meant he could go longer and get the jump on Lewis in the pitting window. After that Lewis couldn't catch him, simple.

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out in China in two weeks when we're on a proper track with more overtaking opportunities, not a street circuit with limited opportunities for overtaking. I think it will be a more evenly matched race between Ferrari and Mercedes in two weeks time. In all, I'm quite excited for 2017 as it looks like it's going to be a tight year between Ferrari and Mercedes which means there'll hopefully be good racing. Also, thought the cars looked much more exciting and energetic with the new wheel sizes and aero specs.

It's worth noting that in recent years, the guy who wins the first race of the season went on to take the world title   ;)

I can't really add or subtract to any of that, but I really was on Rosberg's side because I don't like Hamilton's smug attitude, indeed that's why Rosberg won, Hamilton was not giving it what it needed at every race. No surprise that there were a few boo's for Hamilton at Melbourne.

I just don't want any team to run away with it yet again, so this year it could be interesting. However I don't want Vettel to get a 5th championship, and I don't want Hamilton to get a 4th, I'd rather  see Alonso get a 3rd, or one of the Red Bull drivers get a 1st.

#5 bob_t

bob_t

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Name:Robert
  • Car :accord executive 2.4
  • LocationPerthshire

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:56 PM

I also agree Brian, It was nice to see Vettel winning in what looked for once like a genuinely competitive car.

As for Rosberg its hard to take away from him what he achieved after all he did own schumacher when they were both at Merc, and you never saw him bumping his gums about reliability issues in the last 2 years bearing in mind his car stopped more than Hamiltons in the last 2 years. Hamilton is a seriously fast driver there is no doubt, but his temperament has always been the missing link, some of his comments and behavior after he has lost a race is very childish, bearing in mind everyone else was driving round in lawnmowers compared to the Mercs.

With regards to the 'few' boo's for Hamilton, having been at Albert park in 2008 when Hamilton won the race, the booing for Hamilton was deafening and is more related to the deep seated problems that Australia faces in this multicultural society we live in unfortunately.

Im an Alonso fan, always have been and id love to see him up there mixing it with the big boys where he should be.

• freddofrog likes this

#6 freddofrog

freddofrog

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • LocationOff abroad

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:44 PM

noted , I didn't realise the booing might be due to other "factors"  :mellow:

#7 Stevearcade

Stevearcade

TA Friend

• Super Moderators
  • 6,738 posts
  • LocationEastbourne

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:59 PM

noted , I didn't realise the booing might be due to other "factors"  :mellow:

I agree that Hamilton sometimes doesn't help himself with the things he says, but I'm fully of the opinion that there's heightened media and FIA scrutiny of Hamilton within the F1 circles because F1 is a very white middle-class pastime and Lewis is a working-class black lad  :( . Lewis and I are the same age (within a month of each other), but I wish he was 20 years older and had been a driver when I was a kid. His drive, determination and success would have made him a brilliant role model for people like me and my friends growing up in inner city Birmingham. Also, race issues were much more prevalent in major sports like football in the late 80s and 90s and had there also been a successful black guy driving in F1 it would have progressed some corners of motorsport that are probably still lurking in the 1970s. 

My CM2 - Cold Air Intake with K&N Filter, Custom 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust, Reflashed ECU, Custom Made 8J Steelies from Extreme Offset, BC Racing Coilovers, Short Shifter, Type-R Gear Knob, XCarLink iPod Interface, Interior & Exterior LED Bulb Conversion, Wind Deflectors, Yellow Fog Lamps, JDM size plates, Type S Grill (with blacked out chrome), Front & Rear Type S Skirts.

#8 freddofrog

freddofrog

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • LocationOff abroad

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:32 PM

that's an interesting viewpoint, I hadn't thought of that.

Role models in F1 for me were James Hunt and Nigel Mansell, plus the "entertaining" fight between Prost and Senna. Then came Damon Hill and the Schumacher incident, then the latter dominated F1 for too long (partly due to the relentless 365 days-per-year testing that Ferrari were able to do in those days). 

I read somewhere that even though Schumacher was admired in Germany, his domination was the cause of a decline in interest of F1 in Germany. IMO the same is true of Hamilton, it gets boring to watch the same person dominate F1 for too long, even if they are one's own nationality.

#9 bob_t

bob_t

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Name:Robert
  • Car :accord executive 2.4
  • LocationPerthshire

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:35 AM

My Idols in F1 would have to be Pique (senior), Mansell just has to be there and Senna. James hunt was just before my time i think, but from what ive seen and read he was a quite a character lol

I certainly lost interest in F1 during the schumacher years and the vettel years to an extent. When i take over F1 the grids going to be 20 identical ferraris and let the best man win !

#10 freddofrog

freddofrog

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • LocationOff abroad

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:49 AM

Surely it would then be called Formula Ferrari and all people who own a Ferrari road car would automatically join FIA.

If I ran F1 I'd introduce a rule that anyone who had won the championship the previous year, had to carry 30kg of weight in their car  :lol:

#11 freddofrog

freddofrog

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • LocationOff abroad

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

Well IMO it's both sad and laughable that McLaren-Honda are still so dire, sad for Alonso (years passing while he's got absolutely no chance) and laughable that Honda can't do what Renault can do  :lol:

And then it's also both sad and laughable that Ferrari are on the front row in Russia, sad because Vettel may win a 5th Championship, and laughable because Hamilton will now begin to sulk the more that it happens  :lol:

I've kind of lost interest in F1 but this churn is managing to keep me following events at least.

• Stevearcade likes this

#12 freddofrog

freddofrog

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • LocationOff abroad

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

Alonso's McLaren packed up on the parade lap  B)

so Bottas jumped both Ferrari's at the start and led all the way to the finish, Vettel 2nd, Raikkonen 3rd, Hamilton 4th  

would be nice if all the races end in that order

Edited by freddofrog, 30 April 2017 - 01:38 PM.

#13 Stevearcade

Stevearcade

TA Friend

• Super Moderators
  • 6,738 posts
  • LocationEastbourne

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

Really interesting race today. If you haven't seen it yet, make sure you catch the highlight show on Ch4.

#14 freddofrog

freddofrog

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • LocationOff abroad

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:40 PM

I listened to the last 20 laps on Radio 5 live, did sound interesting, but I'm puzzled how both Ferraris were so far back , I presume that they both got jumped at the start in some melee 

#15 freddofrog

freddofrog

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • LocationOff abroad

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:03 PM

Just seen it, Verstappen clipped Vetttel's front wing, so Vettel went in to get a front wing and ended up at the back.

Pretty good going after that to end up 4th 

#16 slimsonic

slimsonic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Name:slim
  • Car :Accord
  • LocationLondon

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:38 AM

vettel chances look dead 

hamilton now 59 points ahead only 4 races left

#17 Stevearcade

Stevearcade

TA Friend

• Super Moderators
  • 6,738 posts
  • LocationEastbourne

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

Yeah, pretty much so. But a DNF or engine penalty for Lewis could still throw a cat amongst the pigeons.

#18 slimsonic

slimsonic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:04 AM

vettel need lewis to have 2 dnf of 4 races nd then beat lewis in other 2 but that odd dharma

#19 slimsonic

slimsonic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:30 PM

so jensen button says lewis hamilton was weird when they were team mates

sullky brat in other words

#20 Stevearcade

Stevearcade

TA Friend

• Super Moderators
  • 6,738 posts
  • LocationEastbourne

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:38 PM

so jensen button says lewis hamilton was weird when they were team mates

sullky brat in other words

I don't doubt this at all. But generally, when people are that good at something, it often comes at the cost of certain social skills. I've known some amazingly talented musicians in my time, but they were all oddballs to some extent. Hardly any of them were normal in social situations. I guess it's the price you pay for being so single minded. So devoted to something at a time when everyone else is learning how to just be a normal person.