What's new

Engine sound

Very similar to mine (100K miles), but is that a slightly high pitched rattle at idle? If the chains have never been replaced, 160k is about the distance they last from what I have read.

I am fairly new to this engine however so I hope someone with more knowledge corrects me if I am wrong on this.

I don't know if timing chain has been changed, but i don't think this sound like it. I hear something on steering pump, so somebody who know better can help us.

When the would pump chain was dying on my CDTI, the rattle noise would transmit through the PAS casing.

Can't really hear it on your videos though. They sound like death when they're ready to die though.

Hard to say as nothing properly translates across video.

I put headphones in and couldn't tell either way.

There is a scratching/rasping sound that doesn't seem familiar to me. I had to replace a stretched can chain and it was a deeper noise that, crucially, went away when the engine was revved above about 1500 RPM and the oil pressure rose and allowed the tensioner to exert more force on the stretched chain. My engine was really only noisy when hot and ticking over.

You should probably remove the aux belt to see if the noise is something to do with one of the pulleys, or carefully spray WD40 at each of the pulleys with the engine running to see if you can fix that noise.

Sounds like timing chain ?, had mine chainged at 150,000 it got louder over about 6 mounths. not cheap £500-600

Just ***ume one of his friends told him it was his big end, so now it's on his drive half stripped with green tarp over the engine bay and quietly rusting. That always works in my mind for closure on mystery engine noise threads that become forum zombie material.

night-of-the-living-thread.jpg

Hello guys, I have some new videos :no aux belt
https://youtu.be/YvGhWUP3O1I
shorter version aux belt, also an o-ring changed on power steering pump
https://youtu.be/IWEQB7gnyns
So what do you think? Should I replace my timing chain? I mean it cost me a lot money, and a lot of people in my area don`t want to do it.
Soon I will do an engine flush, replace oil and filters. I want to see if will be any difference

Do an oil change first, second vid is a lot quieter, and inaudible when driving??

If you want silent then please Sadiq Khan and fit an electric motor.!!