What's new

Strange Whining/Grinding Noise When Starting

strockus

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4l Executive
Ok, so sometimes when i start my car i get this whining/grinding noise straight after the engine turns over for a second or two which i have a feeling might be my starter motor. Not really sure how else to describe it. There are times where it makes the sound while trying to start the engine which slows down the starting of it. Any ideas what it might be in particular? If it is the starter motor, is there an easy way to check what part number is my starter motor as I already looked at options to get one but every seller is asking me for a part number as there are several types of starter motors for the K24a3 engine apparently.

Sounds like the ring gear grinding maybe? Have you tried putting it in first, hand brake off then rocking the car forward then jump back in, neutral and start?
If it's making a noise like a fox barking (sorry closest thing I could think of!) then yes it probably wants a starter

Andyjdmteg said:
Sounds like the ring gear grinding maybe? Have you tried putting it in first, hand brake off then rocking the car forward then jump back in, neutral and start?
If it's making a noise like a fox barking (sorry closest thing I could think of!) then yes it probably wants a starter
I can't believe that comparison but it really resembles what I actually hear! I haven't tried what you suggested but I'll give it a go tomorrow morning before work and I'll see how that goes but I'm pretty sure that it will be my starter motor. Thanks for the input!

freddofrog said:
If you want the part number for your car start here http://www.lingshondaparts.com/cars/oem-car-parts-diagrams.html

You will eventually reach a page of thumbnails relevant for your car e.g. http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_block_selection_C30.php?mod_01=2855

When you open one of those you will find that the part numbers begin with PFKL, but to get Honda part numbers, just remove "_pfk" from the URL of the page.
Thanks for the info mate! I'll have to have a look at it.

+1 for starter motor - could be a faulty solenoid that's not withdrawing the pinion from the ring gear.

If the solenoid isn't retracting the starter cog from the flywheel you get to hear interesting and alarming noises. You can remove the starter and test it with jumper leads. Make sure the slidy bit is lubricated. Then put it back and see if the problem is gone.

Also inspect the flywheel teeth if you can. You will need to rotate the engine bit by bit by hand. If you see or feel any damage file it smooth as this might be what is locking the starter to the flywheel.

Not seen this on a Honda but have on other cars.

Hi guys,

I recently had something exactly like this occur. Especially when it is a cold day it is quite a loud grinding noise that lasts a second or two as soon as i turn the engine over. I originally thought it was my starter too (as a starting point)
After some investigation work and the noise becoming a more permanent whining noise i found it was my ac compressor bearings were shot.
To the point the ac is no longer working and it may not be safe to drive as the noise has got much much louder.

I have 2 options, either get a shorter aux belt installed to bypass the ac compressor which is a good temp fix but my ac will not work.
or buy a new ac compressor and get gas drained from the ac unit, install compressor and then re-gass which is a much more expensive option but needed.

Let us know what the fix is if you get this sorted.

Cheers :)

Any joy with this yet i nave the fox bark noise to when its cold....

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

strockus said:
It was the starter motor. Changed it and the noise was gone.
Great that's one item on my list to get done... did you buy OEM. ?

Didn't go OEM. I got one of eBay for around £100 pounds which has a two year warranty. It's a high mileage car so I doubt I will be keeping it for more than 2 years but you never know. If you are planning to keep it for a while I would go OEM though.
Timberfake said:
Great that's one item on my list to get done... did you buy OEM. ?

I bought a decent one from fleabay too, seems to be doing the job well. that was about £100 too. And it wasn't an exchange to I have the OE one off my 2.4 which still works was just getting a bit lazy and I didn't want to be stranded so swapped it out. I found it a very easy job by taking the intake manifold off so no messing around under the car breaking my already broken back, replaced the intake manifold gasket on refit with an OE Honda gasket for about £15 although I think the gasket being metal could have re-used the old one.