What's new

New headlights fitted

Sonoflal2

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i-cdti sport
Fitted a set of facelift style headlights as my old ones were continually misting and corroded on the outside of the lenses. It was an MOT advisory last time so thought I'd change them.

IMG_20170331_144944074_zpspmujwhyz.jpg
[/IMG]

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Sonoflal2 said:
Fitted a set of facelift style headlights as my old ones were continually misting and corroded on the outside of the lenses. It was an MOT advisory last time so thought I'd change them.

IMG_20170331_144944074_zpspmujwhyz.jpg

The old ones looked like this

IMG_20160715_115924974_zpsw2blmlhp.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_20160715_115943264_HDR_zpspxoty0sr.jpg
[/IMG]

How exactly do the replacement FL lights differ to the PFL originals?

One of my recent MoT failure reasons was the headlamps having no dipped beam pattern... This was due to the cloudiness of the plastic covers and the roughness of the surface.

The lense covers are different at the sides and for some reason there is a redundant connector that isn't used by my replacement units. These are not OEM Honda units. Works perfectly well tho.

Mine need a heavy polish twice a year at least now. They yellow very quickly. Your new lights look great. I'll have to get round to doing this myself at some point. Are the clusters the same for HID and Halogens, if so it should be easy to source parts. If they're different it won't be easy as HIDs were not a standard on the face lift

Stevearcade if you clean them up using polish then clear lacquer will be fine you won't have to keep cleaning all the time

sent using tapatalk

I use Maguires headlamp kit. Is there another product I should use to seal them afterwards?

At the end of this vid. Worth watching the entire thing though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJbKLZ7RmM

It's not just the larger blue lens, they also have a tinted/crystal indicator lamp..

I did this mod on my Accord many years back now, well worth doing.

It looks great now although the offside unit sticks out a couple of mm to the wing which is slightly annoying but as i said these aren't genuine honda parts. Couldn't afford those, lol.

Hey guys. Just polished my headlamps on a 2006 7th gen. First tried the hand polish / clear coat method. The finished was not that great after third coat and I ended up buying the 20£ kit from halfords. Approx 30 Min per headlamp and they were Back to decent shine. Will see how much they
hold without a finishing clear coat.

Do all cars with plastic lens get this problem? I've never had a car suffer this particular issue before and it really p's me off. I've had it fail once or twice, then given a damn good clean followed by applying oil and all good. Not sure who told me to do that but they do seem to come up nicely. But they do then get grubby again in a few weeks.

Other way I was told was to use a few different grades of sandpaper and take them down a micron or 10, then varnish. Perhaps one of these cleaner sets is the way to go. Thanks for that.

one side of mine was terrible tried some toothpaste and a sheep wool bit for my drill after 5 minutes came up great then rainXed IT ..still looks great after a few weeks