What's new

When did Honda offer HID as a factory option?

Richard B

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 Tourer
Hi all,

Does anyone know what year HID became a factory option on new Hondas?

Was HID offered on any of the 7th Gen Accords?

Thanks.

I think it was fitted as standard on the Executive models from 2003 onwards.

My 04 EX has halogens.

On the 7th gen cars only the pre facelift 2.4 exec had hid lights.

They came as standard on pre-facelift Execs. After the facelift they became an optional extra with the Halogens standard across the entire range. I think there were issues of reliability surrounding the self levelling mechanism, hence it's been dropped as a standard fitting, what with Honda always priding reliability above all else.

sounds like the Bluetooth module that flattens the battery, maybe that should have been an optional extra too LOL

freddofrog said:
sounds like the Bluetooth module that flattens the battery, maybe that should have been an optional extra too LOL
Hahaha not forgetting the power tailgate

sent using tapatalk

Jan Accord said:
And the exhaust manifold and rear calipers :)
All inclusive optionals [emoji23]
Forgot about the vsa unit [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

sent using tapatalk

Anything it goes wrong on my car i start to read about it on this forum and for every fault i had until now the answer was the same...This is a common fault on this car :)

The new 2003 Honda Accord with the following as standard:

All models:
Failing rear tailgates (tourers only)
Binding rear callipers
Chocolate drive shafts
Weak ARB Drop Links
Weak ARB bushes
Weak compliance bushes
Creaky clutch pedals
That weird crack, that's not really a crack that appears on the inside of the headlamp cluster by the side lights (you know the one ;) )
Bluetooth modules that don't work (facelift only)
Thin, weak paint
Exhaust heat shield that work loose and rattle

Diesel options:
Sticky EGR Valve
Cracked manifold
Chocolate clutches & flywheels
Failing VSA modulators
Failing Air Conditioning Compressors

Petrol Options:
Unnecessary twin exhaust that splits at the Y joint (2.4)
Exhaust tips that rust and fall off
1 litre per 1K mile oil consumption (2.4)
Jerkiness in crawling traffic (2.4)
Clutch release bearings that dry up and make lots of noise every time you pull away

Exec Options:
Self levelling headlamp motors that seize
Temperamental Sat Nav DVD drives that stop working
Electronically adjustable seats that slide forward under braking

To quote the (very famous) advert for our car "isn't nice when everything just works" :lol:

You forgot the TPS sensor and power steering pump ;-)
We all know that every car have his own faults but on this one...Ahh

Wow that's a list of the problems Steve and jan [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

sent using tapatalk

And I thought it was just my car that felt like the seat wasnt bolted down!!!

Found it's worse in some positions than others though.

Stevearcade said:
The new 2003 Honda Accord with the following as standard:

All models:
Failing rear tailgates (tourers only)
Binding rear callipers
Chocolate drive shafts
Weak ARB Drop Links
Weak ARB bushes
Weak compliance bushes
Creaky clutch pedals
That weird crack, that's not really a crack that appears on the inside of the headlamp cluster by the side lights (you know the one ;) )
Bluetooth modules that don't work (facelift only)
Thin, weak paint
Exhaust heat shield that work loose and rattle

Diesel options:
Sticky EGR Valve
Cracked manifold
Chocolate clutches & flywheels
Failing VSA modulators
Failing Air Conditioning Compressors

Petrol Options:
Unnecessary twin exhaust that splits at the Y joint (2.4)
Exhaust tips that rust and fall off
1 litre per 1K mile oil consumption (2.4)
Jerkiness in crawling traffic (2.4)
Clutch release bearings that dry up and make lots of noise every time you pull away

Exec Options:
Self levelling headlamp motors that seize
Temperamental Sat Nav DVD drives that stop working
Electronically adjustable seats that slide forward under braking

To quote the (very famous) advert for our car "isn't nice when everything just works" :lol:
PMSL, I just love this list, it is so true !!! ;)

Apart from all that, the Accord is ok LOL

edit:
a bit like this thread http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23260-so-how-much-of-your-accord-is-an-off-the-shelf-design/ but a nice comprehensive list by Steve above, most of which is probably not Honda
- I nearly forgot, upper display can stop working if car is parked over time facing the sun (probably not Honda)

Apart from all that, the Accord is ok LOL

Phahahahhaha[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Exactly

Thanks everyone for the HID Info, and the tragically humorous factory Easter egg list. I might print it out and cross them off as the car works it way through with age.

I have a further question 're HID.. Did the factory HID kit fit into the stock headlight or was this a totally sepatate unit?

And also, what did Honda do for high beam in HID cars?.. And if you fitted your own,what do you run for high beam?

You can't run OEM hids in halogen light because they use waay different bulbs and the balast is fitted on the bottom of the headlight trough which goes the connection cables for the bulb.
In HID headlights for high beams are still normal halogen bulbs.
At this moment i'm running all the bulbs in the front of the car hid, and i can tell u that you can see in the future ;-)
67ad7719fea3d0d6e909dd8e02ed8ecf.jpg

I was under the impression that the striking delay for HID make it unsuitable for legally required headlight signalling.

Jan's in Slovenia, Richard. Rules may be different. But yes, given that HID take a second or more to get up to brightness I'd wonder how well they would flash.

Jan, my pre-facelift, HID headlamps look in a bad way. I want to replace them with facelift clusters. I was under the impression it was a straight swap. Are you saying the lenses on the clusters are different between xenon and HID? I was thinking of buying some blueprint replica facelift clusters and just swapping them over. Is this not a good idea? Is bulb fitment different too?

The hid system has a totally different wiring loom and setup.

They don't have a manual headlight beam height adjustment and rely on a self levelling mechanism based on sensor readings from suspension height level sensors.

You're best of just fitting a nice HID kit in your factory halogen unit. We've got a EuroR (with factory HID) and an ICTDI with a HID kit in the household and actually at a cursory glance there isn't much to tell them apart if you didn't know what you were looking for. Both have a crisp light output and cutoff.

^^ x2
Make no sense to swap the headlights because you can still have an decent setup with halogen headlights.

But they look tired. There's this weird crack thing on the inside. I see it on loads of pre-facelift accords. It's by the side lights. I think it's an inherent floor in the manufacture/design. I'd love to swap them out for facelift. The lighting capability is fine. This is purely for cosmetic reasons. I had thought it would be a simple swap and it didn't matter whether you had HIDs or Xenons, because the clusters were the same, but if they have different fitments and/or lenses on the inside, then yeah, it'll be more hassle than it's worth.

You can still put some facelift headlights but halogen. It should be an plug&play setup

But no using facelift halogen clusters with my existing, factory HIDs then? :(