What's new

Differences between 7th gen 2.4 and 8th gen

Dr_Broon

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer Type S
Hi guys, don't get on here much, but we've recently swapped the wifes 2.0 exec tourer (7th gen) for a type s (also 7th gen).
Loving the difference in power, but also handling etc.
Have noticed though that (at least according to auto trader) the 8th gen type s had more power and more torque, and wondered if anyone knew what had changed between the two... They're both k24, but what is new?
Cheers :)

Mostly camshafts

edit: plus slightly increased compression ratio and VTEC engagement is 1000 rpm lower on stock maps

That's the littlebo one? Got that in the wish list but still got modding on my civic aerodeck before I spend modding cash on the wife's car :D

Is the higher compression through different pistons or is it the head that's different?

Sorry if these are silly questions, but I'm used to seeing life through the lens of what's different between the b18 in the civic compared to the one in the integra.

So would dropping the cams in from the 8th gen (with the remap) make much difference?

My take on this is that if I wasn't content with the K2A3 as stock in my car, then I'd buy an 8th gen with the K24Z3 . The main reason is that the ECU on the K24Z3 is easy to remap (it's the same as in the Acura TSX) , the main problem with the ECU on the K24A3 is that your choices are limited. The reason is that the CANbus in the 7th gen is mostly a proprietary design.

If I had known what I now know, I would have kept the car I had at the time, and waited to spend my money on an 8th gen Accord, or, gone for my 2nd choice which was a Subaru Legacy (but if I had done the latter then I wouldn't have ended up on this forum and met all the people who I now know, and maybe would have got more points on my driving licence).

The other answer is this : it's not that simple to change cams, the valves and springs would need uprating too. If I were to consider changing cams on these engines, I'd emigrate to California where the weather is better and the parts are readily available and cheaper.

Thanks freddo.
Apart from needing the boot size (and a roof box) for when we go camping, I do prefer the look of the 7th gen, especially with the type s kit.

That's yet another thing about Honda, why dispense with the trailing arms suspension resulting in a narrower boot on the 8th gen Tourer, just daft.