P0113 IAT Sensor 1 Circuit High Voltage
P0118 ECT Sensor Cricuit High Voltage
P0193 FRP Sensor Circuit High Voltage
P0403 EGR Valve Circuit Open
P1248 APP Sensor A/B Incorrect Voltage Correlation
P1384 Glow Plug Circuit Malfunction
P2017 IMRC Valve Position Sensor Circuit High Voltage
P2138 APP Sensor A/B Incorrect Voltage Correlation

Depending on how long those codes have been stored, there could be an over-voltage issue ?
Looked to me like a lot of things were disconnected for some reason when the ECU was powered up.

The ECU has specific codes for out-of-spec voltage conditions (e.g. P16A4), so I'd ***ume there be an over-voltage DTC? Interesting to speculate (like some sort of forensic investigators in a really boring TV drama) but probably not useful to the current problem!

Jon_G said:
Looked to me like a lot of things were disconnected for some reason when the ECU was powered up.

The ECU has specific codes for out-of-spec voltage conditions (e.g. P16A4), so I'd ***ume there be an over-voltage DTC? Interesting to speculate (like some sort of forensic investigators in a really boring TV drama) but probably not useful to the current problem!
don't shoot the messenger :eek:

You've got the ESM yourself Jon, why not use that rather than "search the forum" :p

Well guys

Thanks for your continued help on this.

Having cleared the old fault codes which my Honda main agent didn't bother to do it has cleared the muddy waters.

I have just been out for a drive and the engine has gone into limp mode twice.

Both times the fault codes that have come up are P1248 and P2138

Having read the contents of your link earlier John-G, I might be wrong but, it does seem to point to the Throttle sensor which in turn will affect the swirl control. Am I correct?

I will have a good look a it again tomorrow and see what I can find. It would be great if that is the problem because I am getting really P**ed of with this.

Cheers Guys

When you've cleaned the APP, clear the codes again, and keep an eye out in case any of the other codes crop up again ;)

edit: I'd also download the ESM you can then look up any codes in that , just select the year and model of your car, put the code into the search box and click on the 'magnifying glass'

chesjak said:
Well guys

Thanks for your continued help on this.

Having cleared the old fault codes which my Honda main agent didn't bother to do it has cleared the muddy waters.

I have just been out for a drive and the engine has gone into limp mode twice.

Both times the fault codes that have come up are P1248 and P2138

Having read the contents of your link earlier John-G, I might be wrong but, it does seem to point to the Throttle sensor which in turn will affect the swirl control. Am I correct?

I will have a good look a it again tomorrow and see what I can find. It would be great if that is the problem because I am getting really P**ed of with this.

Cheers Guys
Those codes point directly to the APP (throttle) sensor, which has no direct interaction with the 'swirl valve' (which is actually the Intake Manifold Runner Control). It's a common enough problem, which you might fix using an electrical switch cleaner, ***uming it isn't actually damaged.

freddofrog said:
don't shoot the messenger :eek:

You've got the ESM yourself Jon, why not use that rather than "search the forum" :p
Sorry, wasn't shooting!

I think it's worth suggesting a search, as hopefully not only will a code be explained but also some possible solutions will be found.

Probably shouldn't chance my luck here but yesterday am I took the throttle actuator off and gave it a big blow out/clean with can of electrical spray and adjusted the throttle cable to take up a bit of slack. I also took the IMRC valve etc of and also gave that a thorough clean with the Electrical cleaner and also another solenoid/valve towards the rear of the engine and the vacuum pipes leading up to the swirl control actuator.

Have done a few trips now and have to say it is a different engine. No fault codes showing now, It is quieter, smoother all the way up the range and no hesitating on light throttle

Early days but I do think I might have cracked it!!!!!

Grateful thanks to you all especially Jon-G I don't think I would have done it without you all. To be honest I did not know you could get fault code readers etc for that price Jon-G you saved me an expensive trip to the garage.

One thing I did notice though where the vacuum operated actuator links to the swirl valve, it is linked by a short bar with a hole on the end that hooks onto the swirl control. Inside that hole is a small plastic liner. This over the time has become worn and elongated to such an extent that there is a bit of slack in the linkage. Would this have any effect on the engine control. I can't seem to find the parts on Lings Honda site to investigate. Can't believe you have to buy the whole setup just for this part.

Thanks again

Well done!

Unless it's in danger of falling off, then I wouldn't worry too much about that linkage. The IMRC has internal position sensors that, if in an incorrect position, will generate a fault code. It won't cause the engine to stop, or anything nasty.

Thanks jon_g another one that you have resolved glad all sorted when I removed and cleaned my throttle body, maf, map sensors the car drove lovely and in sure mpg went up

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

honda_saj said:
Thanks jon_g another one that you have resolved glad all sorted when I removed and cleaned my throttle body, maf, map sensors the car drove lovely and in sure mpg went up
If I may be uncharacteristically pedantic (LOL) it's not correct to call the IMRC a throttle body. It doesn't throttle, it diverts air flow in order to optimise the intake resonant path (and to generate 'swirl' on a petrol engine).

Jon_G said:
If I may be uncharacteristically pedantic (LOL) it's not correct to call the IMRC a throttle body. It doesn't throttle, it diverts air flow in order to optimise the intake resonant path (and to generate 'swirl' on a petrol engine).
Correct old school back from the days when carbs were around

honda_saj said:
Correct old school back from the days when carbs were around
But not on diesels they weren't! And neither were throttles.

Forgive me if you've already said and I've forgotten, but do you have a diesel or a petrol Saj?

Hi Jon,
I own a petrol and have more experience on petrol I am like a novice on diesel engines I can troubleshoot and diagnose but don't really like diesels never was a fan of diesels

honda_saj said:
Hi Jon,
I own a petrol and have more experience on petrol I am like a novice on diesel engines I can troubleshoot and diagnose but don't really like diesels never was a fan of diesels
Ah. Makes sense now!

honda_saj said:
...don't really like diesels never was a fan of diesels
29855694.jpg

Your a diesel lover, polluting the air, rofl

Jon_G said:
But not on diesels they weren't! And neither were throttles.

Forgive me if you've already said and I've forgotten, but do you have a diesel or a petrol Saj?
My father used to sell , and repair these in the early 50's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2SJWhNczz4