What's new

Anti-freeze

Jon_G

No Longer Active
Reaction score
Car
2005 Tourer i-CTDi
Does anyone know the details of the type of anti-freeze originally used by Honda in my 2005 PFL 7th gen diesel Accord... e.g. is the anti-corrosion technology phosphate, OAT or what?

I've been topping it up, mostly with tap water, every once in a while for the last 9 years and it's currently sitting on minimum and so due a top-up, but this time I want to use concentrate. But I need to use a compatible type!

No I don't think so - just as 5L or 1L ready mixed.

I'd suggest changing the rubber O ring on the radiator drain plug as well - or it can leak.

That's annoying, as I really need concentrate. I'll have to get some from eBay, but at least I now know that I need an OAT/sebacate type. Might have to settle for OAT?

So if I wanted to drain the system, flush it and refill then this wouldn't be possible using anti-freeze from Honda? If it comes only as a premix solution then the (mostly) water remaining in the engine waterways after flushing would surely further dilute a premix to an ineffective concentration?

I won't be touching the drain, but thanks for the tip.

I think if you don't open the engine block drain as well (which I never have) you only leave about 0.5L or so in. So maybe it's better not to flush with water - just drain and refill, and keep that concentration? Only the corrosion inhibitor goes off in time, not the antifreeze itself.

I'm only topping up the level from 'min' to 'max'... Needed appropriate concentrate to bring the overall concentration back up after years of minor tops up, mostly using tap water!

Thanks for your advice Cliff.

freddofrog said:
aye hyperconcentration could lead to shear stress
Yeah, as if it's not bad enough worrying about a nasty gouge from the clippers, to find there's too much chemical in the dip as well must be awful.

Cliffordski said:
Yeah, as if it's not bad enough worrying about a nasty gouge from the clippers, to find there's too much chemical in the dip as well must be awful.
you need to dip the sails before docking the clipper

300px-KennethWilliams.jpg

MyfirstVtech said:
And don't look at the mantelpiece whilst poking the fire.
I think the unwritten rules seem to be that the new sentence must consist of words from the previous sentence LOL

I think we've addressed up the whole 'antifreeze' issue and then some.

I'll add a photo of me topping up my radiator when the antifreeze turns up next weekend. Prepare to be underwhelmed...

Cliffordski said:
you need to get your ticket docked by the clipper before the clipper sails
I've reached the "likes" limit ages ago, that's an excellent one , something very good will have to follow on from that [note, this is not a follow on, I just don't have any more "likes" left]

Jon_G said:
I think we've addressed up the whole 'antifreeze' issue and then some.

I'll add a photo of me topping up my radiator when the antifreeze turns up next weekend. Prepare to be underwhelmed...
just when we were getting a good game going

..............I saw something similar to this on another forum and it started in a similar way ;)

Cheers - I missed a trick though - I should have said 'the doc needs....' and '.....sails out the dock'

So is anyone going to admonish Jon for not using genuine Honda antifreeze ? And tell him his radiator will explode or suchlike ?

Cliffordski said:
So is anyone going to admonish Jon for not using genuine Honda antifreeze ? And tell him his radiator will explode or suchlike ?
only if they're wearing these shoes
Cry_Palace_001.jpg

I used this and my radiator has not yet exploded. Mixed it down to 50% or close to it. And I have driven on 40 degree plus days with the aircon working overtime.

Richard B said:
I used this and my radiator has not yet exploded. Mixed it down to 50% or close to it. And I have driven on 40 degree plus days with the aircon working overtime.
I put 'shropshire' into the search box and it showed me a map of Australia, so I'll have to stick with the one I've ordered!

Seems ironic calling it 'antifreeze' in Australia... When did you last have to scrape ice off your windscreen?