What's new

Tourer rear arch rust

Laird chris

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord tourer
I wonder if anyone knows if replacement wheel arch sections are available as opposed to having to get the complete rear quarter panel? My off side is being eaten by the tin worm.

I was thinking that to replace the arches with part body panels would be more than the car is worth. The welding and painting will not be cheap, those covers would do the job, just get the grinder out and remove the carp, treat with curerust and the job should last? my 7th had the same problem I think they all will unless you pull back the inner plastic and thoroughly remove all the road grime, and treat with wax oil before the dreaded worm gets a grip.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-ACCORD-ESTATE-2003-08-REAR-QUARTER-PANEL-PASSENGER-GRAPHITE-PEARL-NH658P-/351867284026?clk_rvr_id=1202232868663&rmvSB=true

edgeoftime said:
I was thinking that to replace the arches with part body panels would be more than the car is worth. The welding and painting will not be cheap, those covers would do the job, just get the grinder out and remove the carp, treat with curerust and the job should last? my 7th had the same problem I think they all will unless you pull back the inner plastic and thoroughly remove all the road grime, and treat with wax oil before the dreaded worm gets a grip.
yep I totally agree ;)

(over the "likes" quota at the moment, I'll be back LOL)

If I decided to go down the route you describe in #5 John, personally I'd prefer the plastic ones ;)

But I do agree that, with some digging and curerust and filler, they might hold up well and look ok for some time.

These covers do make things worse indeed. The chrome one also looks very retro, probably will look good on some 90s car.
Best and somewhat permanent solution is cut and weld a new arch, then prime and paint. New OEM panels cost a fortune.
Hint: find front arches/panels in the scrapyard - front left is same as rear right (front right same as rear left).
Front arches are less prone to rust, try to find some crashed, dented (just the arch needs to be fine), as they are way cheaper and scrappers can't sell them for much money.

I agree, but like me, I don't think the OP has the skills to that level, and labour costs in the UK for that work outweigh the value of the car.

Also, the OP's car is a Tourer, I'm not sure if it's so easy to transplant sections from the front ? (might be, I just don't know)

Further to this I cleaned the car this morning,and following my own advise I cleaned up behind the arches you would not believe the amount of carp there was up there, I also felt like there was some kind of rubbery deposit on the ledge inside the arch, could this be an afterthought of the first owner? or have Honda latched onto this fault with the MK8.

I think that there is supposed to be a seal between the ledge in the wing's arch and the arch itself (over the wheel), and this seal tended to give way over time.

As there is no bubbling around that area on my car, I've decided not to touch it at all. But if there is bubbling then I might start to push around up behind the ledge, or maybe remove the trim on the inside of the car and have a look from the inside ?