What's new

car tax, what a joke.

toffee_pie

Members
Reaction score
Car
Legacy 3.0R SpecB
So, knowing my Subaru is due tax I went on line recently and taxed her up for the year..a gut wrenching £535 to the DVLA, funds of course which will be used for road improvements and other great causes!

Anyway, I got my reminder from them shortly after and it quoted the figure of £515, I queried this and they said the reminder letters are sent out in advance of any changes that Mr Osbourne decides are necessary to fleece people further so the rate I paid is correct for 2017.

I said send me a refund (car taxed till end of April) and I can re tax if from the DVLA reminder letter at the lower rate and they said they cant do that, £20 is not much on the grand scheme of things but dont see why motorists can get ****ed aroound like this.

They reply to my query about a refund was of course they cant!

How much money are these guys raking in makes you wonder.

On a side note, I am coming up to a years ownership of the SpecB so will do a write up soon as its a really awesome car! whatever about the tax.

It's been 18 months, and I'm still not over selling my spec B wagon. Awesome car.

toffee_pie said:
So, knowing my Subaru is due tax I went on line recently and taxed her up for the year..a gut wrenching £535 to the DVLA, funds of course which will be used for road improvements and other great causes!

Anyway, I got my reminder from them shortly after and it quoted the figure of £515, I queried this and they said the reminder letters are sent out in advance of any changes that Mr Osbourne decides are necessary to fleece people further so the rate I paid is correct for 2017.

I said send me a refund (car taxed till end of April) and I can re tax if from the DVLA reminder letter at the lower rate and they said they cant do that, £20 is not much on the grand scheme of things but dont see why motorists can get ****ed aroound like this.

They reply to my query about a refund was of course they cant!

How much money are these guys raking in makes you wonder.

On a side note, I am coming up to a years ownership of the SpecB so will do a write up soon as its a really awesome car! whatever about the tax.
Eric where have you been, we all miss your posts in General Chat ;)

To answer your question ....there is no answer LOL

But yeah the DVLA are a law unto themselves, AFAIK they are a bit like United Airlines in that they can do what they like when they like ....so you're lucky they didn't send out their bouncers to beat you up :lol:

66540993.jpg

freddofrog said:
Eric where have you been, we all miss your posts in General Chat ;)

To answer your question ....there is no answer LOL

But yeah the DVLA are a law unto themselves, AFAIK they are a bit like United Airlines in that they can do what they like when they like ....so you're lucky they didn't send out their bouncers to beat you up :lol:
Right Brian!! Better not tell them the tax rate for this in Ireland or they will think we are having a bargain.

What ****es me off more than anything is the state of the roads, some surfaces are so bad in Southampton i am not sure they can be classified as roads at all.

Jon_G said:

ah ffs, hows the diesel going these days, must be drinking it with your dinner up there?

goes without saying i am not a fan, in fact the rattle and stink of them is enough to deter me irrespective of petrol tax rates! a smooth as silk Subaru 6 pot is better than any manky old derv im affraid Jon.

Southampton is full of them for god sake, its one of the places suggested to have the diesel tax, the luxury cruise ships not helping things at all mind you.! Walking around the city here the stinch is just *****.

I was in Japan a few times, most recently a few weeks back and it never ceases to amaze how a huge metropolis like Tokyo and all is cars has much cleaner air, sure lots of them are hybrid and electric but Japan is a well know petrolhead nation.

vbG9aYv.jpg

k37k7o4.jpg

0IolLpv.jpg

hxYHE3z.jpg

On car emissions, Japan is the Far East equivalent of California.

Similarly on car emissions, Southampton must be the equivalent of Mexico LOL

freddofrog said:
On car emissions, Japan is the Far East equivalent of California.

Similarly on car emissions, Southampton must be the equivalent of Mexico LOL
Beijing, Shenzhen, Shanghai and Mexico more like

Hi Eric, not heard from you on here for a while, how you doing m8?

As for the car Tax, it just something we all have to live with in this great poxy nation of ours lol.

My Subaru was a pre-facelift. The dash and centre console were naff co pared to a facelift car, but road-tax was £200 a year back when I bought it in 2011.

Ironic though, as those EZ30 motors are so clean on emissions, they barely register on the gas ****yser (even once mine lost the big cat too)
Just loads of CO2.

Goodluckmonkey said:
Just loads of CO2.
Recently I've started to become cynical about this CO2 thing. Unlike Trump, I do believe that climate change is a result of human activities, CO2 in particular.

But even if the UK went to electric vehicles over-night, and switched to building more nuclear fission and loads of off-shore wind-farms, it won't make much of a dent to the CO2 from the rest of the world, and the rest of the world can't rely on the right mix of nuclear and renewables (it needs the correct mix so as to be able to follow the daily demand profile).

All we can hope for is some miracle of nuclear fusion reactors and bio-engineering to then reverse the process.

Until that happens, we're stuck with fossil fuels, and car-tax is just part of the "CO2 off-setting" con-trick .

freddofrog said:
Recently I've started to become cynical about this CO2 thing. Unlike Trump, I do believe that climate change is a result of human activities, CO2 in particular.

But even if the UK went to electric vehicles over-night, and switched to building more nuclear fission and loads of off-shore wind-farms, it won't make much of a dent to the CO2 from the rest of the world, and the rest of the world can't rely on the right mix of nuclear and renewables (it needs the correct mix so as to be able to follow the daily demand profile).

All we can hope for is some miracle of nuclear fusion reactors and bio-engineering to then reverse the process.

Until that happens, we're stuck with fossil fuels, and car-tax is just part of the "CO2 off-setting" con-trick .
Why would nuclear fusion result in less CO2 than current nuclear (fission) power generation?

Jon_G said:
Why would nuclear fusion result in less CO2 than current nuclear (fission) power generation?
oops my logic in #12 missed another issue with current methods of non-CO2 electric power ......that horrible stuff that results from nuclear fission reactors, AFAIK nuclear fusion reactors would produce very little ?

freddofrog said:
oops my logic in #12 missed another issue with current methods of non-CO2 electric power ......that horrible stuff that results from nuclear fission reactors, AFAIK nuclear fusion reactors would produce very little ?
Fusion reactions produce no horrible fission products and no plutonium, so much nicer all round than fission reactions. But 60 years of effort has yet to come up with a sustainable reaction process that produces more energy than it consumes. So Sellafield still has work to do...

Fusion reactors have to happen. Without that "dream" technology we're all doomed to incessant climate change, IMO no other single "invention" will stop climate change.

Not sure if climate change can be reversed though, some bio-engineering that, like trees, will pull the CO2 back out of the atmosphere. Hypothetically, some means of rapidly pulling CO2 back out and converting it directly to a usable fuel, would be an alternative (AFAIK there isn't enough space on the planet to grow food AND crops for bio-fuel, and the latter is a slow process).

freddofrog said:
Only we are not.

Whilst it is true there are far too many vehicles doing too few sensible journeys on the road (four/six seater cars with just the driver on board) the various governments have buried the vegetable oil option in among dubious research.

I did have a report somewhere in my Citroen XU9 paperwork when I bought a modified BX that confirmed (all along) that burning corn/rapeseed oil in a suitably unadulterated engine (with Bosch mechanical pump and other parts) was noticeably cleaner and more economical than the mineral fuel equivalent, particularly the now evil NOx. The official documentation from HM government labs at the time - 2007-2010 suggested there was either none, or very little difference.

Obviously there is a need to collect a decent duty at the pump, but to falsify figures after decades and billions of miles of pollutants suggests sombody with access to underground resources is pulling strings.

Jon_G said:
Mind you, if we could ban high VED vehicles (such as the one driven by Eric) the human race could perhaps go on a bit longer?
Banning vehicles that are enjoyable and everyone driving crappy diesels? That's humanity dead.

Might as well go back to horse drawn carriages.

If you ever did manage to keep close to my car in your diesel accord before I floored it and left you for dust you would notice a total absence of horrid diesel gunk blowing into your ventilation vents.

Pete1958 said:
Hi Eric, not heard from you on here for a while, how you doing m8?

As for the car Tax, it just something we all have to live with in this great poxy nation of ours lol.
Howdy Pete. I'm doing well thanks. Is that Accord still serving you well?!

toffee_pie said:
Banning vehicles that are enjoyable and everyone driving crappy diesels? That's humanity dead.
If you ever did manage to keep close to my car in your diesel accord before I floored it and left you for dust you would notice a total absence of horrid diesel gunk blowing into your ventilation vents.
Don't worry, I'll simply catch up (and overtake) during one of your many refueling stops. And I'll also wave ten pound notes at you as I pass, in a symbolic gesture celebrating the money I'm saving.

The exhaust from petrol engines isn't particularly pleasant either, by the way... a heady mix of pollutants reminiscent of farts and cat p!ss. We all pollute!

My Legacy spec B wagon used to cost me £31 a day to drive to work, the diesel accord wagon just £16.

Now my circumstances are different and I only have to go to the office twice a month, I wish I had the subaru back.

Apart from the economy, it was in every way a better car, and the Honda build quality (in respect to the mechanical components) doesn't even come close.

I still mourn the sale of my Subaru, but doubt I'll ever feel that way about the accord.

A manual spec B is such a wonderful thing to drive quick. The brake upgrade was the icing on the cake. The flat 6 noise with a full system fitted too is sorely missed.
It is a proper, proper drivers car.

Jon_G said:
Our sun is a fusion reactor.

The earth doesn't care about global warming. It'll simply carry on without us...
It's not "our" sun, it belongs to the DVLA. The DVLA produces clouds over the UK to justify the CO2 VED

Jon_G said:
Mind you, if we could ban high VED vehicles (such as the one driven by Eric) the human race could perhaps go on a bit longer?
Let's not prolong the agony :unsure:

Channel Hopper said:
Only we are not.

Whilst it is true there are far too many vehicles doing too few sensible journeys on the road (four/six seater cars with just the driver on board) the various governments have buried the vegetable oil option in among dubious research.

I did have a report somewhere in my Citroen XU9 paperwork when I bought a modified BX that confirmed (all along) that burning corn/rapeseed oil in a suitably unadulterated engine (with Bosch mechanical pump and other parts) was noticeably cleaner and more economical than the mineral fuel equivalent, particularly the now evil NOx. The official documentation from HM government labs at the time - 2007-2010 suggested there was either none, or very little difference.

Obviously there is a need to collect a decent duty at the pump, but to falsify figures after decades and billions of miles of pollutants suggests sombody with access to underground resources is pulling strings.
I think that in some respects you're right, but it's only up to a certain mixture ?
Also, if all cars ran on biofuel I think that there isn't enough space on the planet to grow crops for food and crops for biofuel ?
Finally, the technical issues are themselves quite interesting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issues_relating_to_biofuels#Technical_issues

Overall, it's my belief that we will be stuck with fossil fuels until Nuclear Fusion reactors become a reality. If that never happens then IMO the population of the human race will have to reduce, we cannot have dense populations without high energy requirements.

toffee_pie said:

Jon has a James Bond style grappling hook that can hook onto the car in front :ph34r:

Jon_G said:
Don't worry, I'll simply catch up (and overtake) during one of your many refueling stops. And I'll also wave ten pound notes at you as I pass, in a symbolic gesture celebrating the money I'm saving.

The exhaust from petrol engines isn't particularly pleasant either, by the way... a heady mix of pollutants reminiscent of farts and cat p!ss. We all pollute!
Hare and Tortoise, depends on the distance

Goodluckmonkey said:
My Legacy spec B wagon used to cost me £31 a day to drive to work, the diesel accord wagon just £16.

Now my circumstances are different and I only have to go to the office twice a month, I wish I had the subaru back.

Apart from the economy, it was in every way a better car, and the Honda build quality (in respect to the mechanical components) doesn't even come close.

I still mourn the sale of my Subaru, but doubt I'll ever feel that way about the accord.

A manual spec B is such a wonderful thing to drive quick. The brake upgrade was the icing on the cake. The flat 6 noise with a full system fitted too is sorely missed.

Both of you STOP TEMPTING ME :eek: :p :D

I can un-tempt you.

I'd it hasn't had it's tyres kept within 0.1mm of each other in terms of tread wear (and obviously on identical tyres), they kill the centre diffs and then fights itself coming out of junctions.
You have to be really careful if you want a used high-miler.

Besides that though, they're bulletproof. I put 90k on mine without fault. (And religiously rotated my tyres every 6k)

Jon_G said:

Everything pollutes, but diesel cars are ridiculous, whoever thought it was a good idea that they were good for the environment was not a very bright spark.

I would rather use a bike than swap my Subaru for a diesel accord.

Goodluckmonkey said:

The Subaru Legacy certainly is a beast, in fact I dont know what i will do when i do get itchy feet and decide to get a new motor, I am thinking it will be probably very likely i will miss this again in the future.

The handling, chassis, bilstein suspension, rapid manual transmission and rev happy 245hp power plant means its unlike most other cars out there.

and then there is this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAol_1iKM1Y

reliability is a given, in my ownership aside from an initial service i have only had to check the tyre pressure.

I used to have a set of Nokian's on winter wheels for mine.
It was ridiculous how much traction it had in the snow. 4" of snow was just like driving a normal car in the rain.