What's new

HELP please guys. Oil consumption

MyfirstVtech

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
Hey all. Right so the car I bought a 1.8 2001 reg. It hadn't had an oil change for 2 years and had 5w30 in it, I changed the oil a few weeks ago at 103k and put castrol edge 5w40 in bearing in mind it's had 5w30 all its life and now just checked the oil at 104800 and it's just above the minimum mark, I checked the oil last week before a trip to southport and it read full,
I had a fairly spirited driving day yesterday taking it up to the red line but obviously not staying there it was just for a second to get moving.
Have I fooked it and is there anything obvious I can check.

Vtecs use oil. Its fine. Make sure its always near the top marker. Never be scared to redline a Honda. You bought the wrong car if so.

Agreed with Marcus but also check your pcv valve as a faulty one of these can cause oil consumption I believe

Ah right ok Marcus but I've just checked the book and I changed the oil at 103989 just over 2 weeks ago.
Where is the pcv valve and how is it checked for working.?

If you changed it two weeks ago are you sure you tightened everything properly. Check for leaks

I tightened the oil filter by hand as tight as I could with a lubed seal and tightened the new sump nut with 3/8th drive socket pretty tight.

Check it before you start the engine in the morning with the engine cold. If it's still low then top it up.

Then continue to check it every morning when the engine is cold (before you start it the engine)

Perhaps you could try a W50? I ran 20-W50 in a 2.2 vtec for years. It didn't use much oil at all.

As Freddofrog said, regularly check it when cold. And try to do this with the car parked in the same place. Only then can you be sure about the actual consumption.

Richard B said:
Perhaps you could try a W50? I ran 20-W50 in a 2.2 vtec for years. It didn't use much oil at all.
While going up to a 50 viscosity might help to reduce oil burning (***uming that there really is a problem), using a 20w cold rating wouldn't be good thing to do in the UK!

20W-50's temperature range starts at -10C.

It doesn't get that cold in the UK does it?

or is that the effect of climate change. or Brexit.

I'm going to check in a moment so will report back but yes checking at the same place is a good idea cheers

Right ok so just been to check the oil level on the level and erm it may only be a third down but when I did the oil change I only a 4 litre of edge in then maybe 150-200 ml in out of a 1 litre container and if I read right it should take 4.3 litres?

Hi,

4.1L engine oil, 4.4 Including replacement oil filter.

Data from Tolerance

MyfirstVtech said:
Right ok so just been to check the oil level on the level and erm it may only be a third down but when I did the oil change I only a 4 litre of edge in then maybe 150-200 ml in out of a 1 litre container and if I read right it should take 4.3 litres?
that sounds better, and the one thing we all forgot about, apart from yourself today, is on the level !!! ;)

(plus, it's best to do it when engine is cold)

freddofrog said:
that sounds better, and the one thing we all forgot about, apart from yourself today, is on the level !!! ;)

(plus, it's best to do it when engine is cold)
But - to resurrect an OCD argument - how do you know when it's on the level?

Surely, if your main concern is oil consumption, then the important thing is to check the level at the same location?

Jon_G said:
But - to resurrect an OCD argument - how do you know when it's on the level?

Surely, if your main concern is oil consumption, then the important thing is to check the level at the same location?
well ok then

1. engine must be cold
2. use the same location
3. on level ground i.e. not tilted, not an incline

you need to take your car to Vietnam for item 3.

level-ground-trading-ltd-heirloom-rice-long-grain-700g-226.jpg

Jon_G said:
So not checking the ground using long lengths of straight batten and a spirit level then?
then there's the issue of using a batten that has a slight warp, so you need this with a spirit level

crane6-medium.jpg

I can't remember the last time I checked vehicle fluids on a level surface! Antifreeze turned up yesterday and topping up was all a bit 'guessworky'.

I suspect that most lounge floors are flat and level, maybe drive the car into one's lounge :lol:

Hahahahahahaaha so the moral of the story is just be on the level and keep an eye payout fluids if you think they are dodgy.

Oh and I took the pcv valve off and gave it a good blow and it's all clear and working as it should be and so is the line that goes from it to the intake.