What's new

Aftermarket install gone wrong - with a twist!

s-preston87

Members
Reaction score
Car
7th Gen- Sport
Hi everyone,

So i was installing my alpine HU earlier today using the Metra 99-7862 cubby kit (Removed cubby hole under OEM stereo - replace with single din kit).
Whilst I was connecting the harness one of the cables from the Metra harness touched the oem unit metal cage causing the short, it then came to me i had forgotten to disconnect the battery!!!!!!!!

I then tested everything and noticed the interior lights, dash lights, rear tail lights had all stopped working so i replaced the blow fuses like for like within both fuse boxes.

Everything seems to be working fine now BUT... the head unit does not turn on. However if i put a cd in it takes it in.
No lights on the oem unit what so ever - all other lights like dash/ ac lights are functional.
I then decided to disconnect the battery, install the head unit but there is no power to the head unit either
tested 3x aftermarket HU's in total and no power/ response (checked all fuses on HU's all ok)
also tested 2x HU cables as i had a spare and this did not make a difference either.

So now im left with a stereo that takes disks but has no display/ does not play music etc but everything else like ac etc works fine
regardless of HU none will power up. So i replaced the audio fuse but still no luck.
Lesson learnt, ALWAYS disconnect battery, and ALWAYS insulate exposed wiring!

Any advise/ ideas would be greatly appreciated

I had searched for this issue within the forum but was unable to find something which matches this particular issue.
If anyone does come across an older post please let me know,

Thanks

Have you manually spliced the wires to your aftermarket headunit or are you using an ISO connector? Sounds like you don't have either an ignition or permanent live somewhere in your loom

i've just connected the HU iso into the oem loom for now.

Just making sure but what fuse(s) are used to power the oem stereo? as i have already replaced inspected the audio fuse and it had not blown - replaced it anyways.

I've got a funny feeling it may be the oem loom thats fried. How would i go about checking this?

maybe try running a feed from the battery (with an inline fuse) as a temporary test to see if everything works ok

I doubt it's you need to check all the fuses the radio is shared with another fuse

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

s-preston87 said:
Any advise/ ideas would be greatly appreciated
Taking the negative connection off the battery (and pushing to one side) is the preferred method of working on vehicle electrics.

I am out when back in will check esm for fuses

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.
In the meantime I will try and get hold of a multimeter and test the ignition and the permanent live.

morning,

so after checking each individual wire in the oem harness everything checked ok - constant power was fine, ignition etc all checked ok.
I then decided to check all the fuses again... and to my surprise i had missed 1 fuse which had blown.

Replaced the fuse, tested oem stereo worked fine - spliced, soldered and shrink wrapped the aftermarket headunit ISO with the t harness supplied with the metra kit. DiSCONNECTED the negative and then connected the t harness, 1 end into my alpine head unit, 1 end into the original stereo and the female end into the oem harness.

Hey presto the power to the oem unit works and i can see the heating/ acc settings light (when parking lights/ headlights are flicked on) and the backlight works displaying the time, The head unit also works as normal as this is where the sound is played from.

Thanks all for your input - much appreciated :)

IMG-20170425-WA0010_zpshhqh7cyp.jpeg

IMG-20170425-WA0018_zpskztziakn.jpeg

IMG-20170426-WA0001_zpsn5sazhac.jpeg

Not the best of images but will send over a couple more once I have tidied it up a little :D