What's new

Clutch fitment question

Davymcl

Reaction score
Car
2007 accord tourer.
Hi lads. I'm planing on changing my clutch soon as it's slipped a few times. I'm just over 100k on a 57 tourer. Usually I would change the rear main oil seal when I was in there but can't find any mention of this being done when I search previous posts. So I was wondering if anyone has changed this seal or if any of the guys with high milers have had any leaks from this seal?

There was no mention of it when I had the clutch renewed on my car, and as far as I can tell it's not mentioned as a requirement in the ESM

What engine is in your car btw ?

If you are talking about the seal on the engine main shaft, the only reason to change it is to have peace in mind otherwise if any leaks are not detected there is no need to replace.
But still if you have the gearbox down is nothing wrong if you change it.
I would reccomend to change it.
At least i'm changing it every time i work on the clutch.
For what it cost is just a secure to prevent future leaks till the next clutch needs to be replaced

Poslano z mojega SM-N910C z uporabo Tapatalk

Yea that's what I would normally do just change the seal for piece of mind, but I've read lots of posts about changing the clutch and no one mentions changing the seal? It's standard practice on most other cars so I was wondering are Honda seals that good you don't need to change them? If only the clutches were that good....
My engine is a 2.2 diesel.

Never heard anyone mention changing it on a Honda, so I'd ***ume it's reliable enough to justify leaving it alone!

When you will change the clutch check for the DMF free play which should be from 6mm to 36mm

Poslano z mojega SM-N910C z uporabo Tapatalk

Be aware that the clutch on the diesel models has a self-adjusting pressure plate which is designed to ratchet-up and compensate for wear. Sometimes this mechanism gets a bit sticky, allowing slippage to occur... however this can be a temporary condition and the clutch may yet recover. Mine has fully recovered from two extended bouts of slipping and is still on the original clutch at nearly 180k miles (there are many reports of this type of 'miraculous recovery').

I wouldn't rush into replacing it, especially as it is a major job on these.

Jon_G said:
Be aware that the clutch on the diesel models has a self-adjusting pressure plate which is designed to ratchet-up and compensate for wear. Sometimes this mechanism gets a bit sticky, allowing slippage to occur... however this can be a temporary condition and the clutch may yet recover. Mine has fully recovered from two extended bouts of slipping and is still on the original clutch at nearly 180k miles (there are many reports of this type of 'miraculous recovery').

I wouldn't rush into replacing it, especially as it is a major job on these.
Indeed...mine was slipping occasionally and have just done another few thousand miles on a long trip and it seems to be getting better. In other words, doesn't seem to slip any more. Weird!