What's new

Buying Advice

MrSkywalker

Reaction score
Car
Nissan Primera
Hi Guys,

I have been the long time owner of a P12 Nissan Primera 2.0 but looking for a change now. Originally I had narrowed my search down to a few select petrol turbo models:

Mondeo Hatch 2.5T
Volvo V50 T5
Saab 95 Aero Estate 2.3T
Saab 93 Sportwagon 1.8t-2.0T

However, I recently discovered the 8th Gen Honda 2.4 Tourer, which has really got me torn!

Does anyone one know if they are available in manual form and if so how rare are they?

Buy the 9-5
The B235 motor would stomp all.the other cars in that list flat.

They are available in manual, but they're rare, and only come up once in a while, on Autotrader and Honda UK's used car search. You might have to pay a deposit online to reserve one.

MrSkywalker said:
Hi Guys,

I have been the long time owner of a P12 Nissan Primera 2.0 but looking for a change now. Originally I had narrowed my search down to a few select petrol turbo models:

Mondeo Hatch 2.5T
Volvo V50 T5
Saab 95 Aero Estate 2.3T

However, I recently discovered the 8th Gen Honda 2.4 Tourer, which has really got me torn!

Does anyone one know if they are available in manual form and if so how rare are they?
Add a Subaru to that list, Twinscroll legacies pack a punch if you can find one or a H6 variant like my own.

Twinscrolls aren't always the best bet. If they've not been mapped for UK fuel, and most haven't, they do like to rod the motors. They dont get the 6 speed either, and that's what makes the legacy spec B so good.

If you want a spec B wagon, you need to go for a pre-facelift to get a 6-speed manual one, as most of the facelift spec B wagons were autos.

The H6 with a set of pipes on it makes the best noise ever too.

Need to get some mods on mine but parts hard to get, I would like a CAI and new headers but no idea where to get.

toffee_pie said:
Need to get some mods on mine but parts hard to get, I would like a CAI and new headers but no idea where to get.
Perhaps a forum for Subaru owners would know... Scoobynet perhaps?

toffee_pie said:
Not that many header options out there. Raptor in Aus do them, but they're a lot of money for little gain.

For performance terms, the best thing to do with an EZ30 (apart from a raptor supercharger kit) is a cosworth panel filter, and have a stainless exhaust system built to let the flavour out. Think mine was 3" in the centre then 2.5" from the split.

The air box is pretty good on those as standard and takes a cold feed from under the front edge of the bonnet anyway.

Goodluckmonkey said:
Buy the 9-5
The B235 motor would stomp all.the other cars in that list flat.
I didn't have a clue about the 9-5 so googled it. Oh my gawd ! They are ****** ugly.

Edit - just to clarify, I don't use swear words on the internet, this website even edits minor cuss words.

Goodluckmonkey said:
Not that many header options out there. Raptor in Aus do them, but they're a lot of money for little gain.

For performance terms, the best thing to do with an EZ30 (apart from a raptor supercharger kit) is a cosworth panel filter, and have a stainless exhaust system built to let the flavour out. Think mine was 3" in the centre then 2.5" from the split.

The air box is pretty good on those as standard and takes a cold feed from under the front edge of the bonnet anyway.
could look into an exhaust, any suggestions who to use? powerflow?

toffee_pie said:
Isn't it a Turbo? Might be more beneficial to upgrade your intercooler as any cold air from intake would warm up in the turbo anyway, surely.

Better off on uklegacy.com
That place is very much like it is here. Good attitudes from 99% of posters, a nice friendly atmosphere, and well researched information.

Steve, T/P has the legacy with the 3.0 n/a flat 6 like i had.
Cracking motor that loves to rev. 245hp in standard form.
With a longlife exhaust and a panel filter, mine put out 272hp. Real sleeper.

And the best thing about it, they pull 4th cleanly from about 25mph up to 140-odd. Goes back to the conversation about diesel vs. petrol. A good.petrol motor will always be more flexible.

Find a nice custom place and have one made up in my opinion. I think power flow trade on their brand somewhat and are probably a bit over priced. But on the flip side, you know you'll get a good quality product that's tried and tested.

It depends what your goals are Eric. What's the philosophy behind wanting to mod. Are you looking to improve the car for your own sake or fit in with a Suby modding crowd? I think there's more brand snobbery regards modding in the Subaru scene. It's gotta be this or that mod or else it's frowned upon... that sort of thing (although I could be completely wrong - just the impression I get from seeing so many Subis modded in exactly the same way). If you don't care what others think, good for you, do some research and make your own decisions. If you do care what other Suby drivers think, that's fine too, but better to check out what everyone else is doing on the Suby forums and then do the same.

Subarus, like Hondas, tend to have their own way of going about things and their own nuances and peculiarities. It's important you try and absorb as much info from those in the know. Most of us here would only be able to speculate and I'd hate for you to have work done and pay lots of money on your Subaru based on the comments on us Honda owners here. If something ends up being completely inappropriate or incorrect for your car based on our uninformed opinions, well that would be a bad situation all round.

Goodluckmonkey said:
Cool, sort of reminds me of Mighty Car Mods Super Gramps, where they took the NA V6 from a Subaru chelsea tractor, put it in a Legacy and Turbo'd it! Maaaaad!

The legacy is to the impress, what we are with our accords to the civic crowd.

Don't see chavved-up legacies, they're usually super clean, or all performance based mods. Mine had loads of stuff done to it, and it took 2 years before a friend of mine (who restores cars for a living) even realised it was non-standard.

Like the APW turbo accord, they like to fly under the radar over there.

Stevearcade said:
Cool, sort of reminds me of Mighty Car Mods Super Gramps, where they took the NA V6 from a Subaru chelsea tractor, put it in a Legacy and Turbo'd it! Maaaaad!
Yep, it's the 3.0 version of that motor (that incidentally only makes 5hp.less, but can take more boost) same gearbox and drivelune too. We just got them in that configuration as manual wagons. The rest of the world didn't.
As a flat-6/6-MT/wagon, mine was one of just 68 cars in the country.

MrSkywalker said:
Hi Guys,

Mondeo Hatch 2.5T
Volvo V50 T5
Saab 95 Aero Estate 2.3T

the load area in the back of the 8th gen Tourer isn't as big as the 7th gen Tourer, because for some inane Honda reason they dispensed with the trailing-arm suspension which was perfectly ok on the 7th gen Tourer ....Honda probably thought that, with a slightly better engine in the 8th gen, people would take 8th gen Tourers out on track days, can't think of any other reason why they'd limit the load area in an estate car.

Other than that, I've no idea about the others in the list, but when I bought my Accord the Legacy was a very close choice for me, can't say if I made the right decision, but if I'd gone for the Legacy I wouldn't have ended up on TA ....and Eric wouldn't have bought a Legacy if I hadn't been on TA (after Eric sold his Accord he got a Lexus, then a Merc, then decided to get a Legend but I convinced him to get a Legacy)

I really fancy one of those later 4wd legends.

Goodluckmonkey said:
Better off on uklegacy.com
That place is very much like it is here. Good attitudes from 99% of posters, a nice friendly atmosphere, and well researched information.

And the best thing about it, they pull 4th cleanly from about 25mph up to 140-odd. Goes back to the conversation about diesel vs. petrol. A good.petrol motor will always be more flexible.
Think i will investigate further...!

Before
HP 245
NM 377

After
HP 282 (+37)
NM 434 (+57)

Stevearcade said:
Find a nice custom place and have one made up in my opinion. I think power flow trade on their brand somewhat and are probably a bit over priced. But on the flip side, you know you'll get a good quality product that's tried and tested.

It depends what your goals are Eric. What's the philosophy behind wanting to mod. Are you looking to improve the car for your own sake or fit in with a Suby modding crowd? I think there's more brand snobbery regards modding in the Subaru scene. It's gotta be this or that mod or else it's frowned upon... that sort of thing (although I could be completely wrong - just the impression I get from seeing so many Subis modded in exactly the same way). If you don't care what others think, good for you, do some research and make your own decisions. If you do care what other Suby drivers think, that's fine too, but better to check out what everyone else is doing on the Suby forums and then do the same.

Subarus, like Hondas, tend to have their own way of going about things and their own nuances and peculiarities. It's important you try and absorb as much info from those in the know. Most of us here would only be able to speculate and I'd hate for you to have work done and pay lots of money on your Subaru based on the comments on us Honda owners here. If something ends up being completely inappropriate or incorrect for your car based on our uninformed opinions, well that would be a bad situation all round.
When people think of Scoobys 99.99% think of Imprezas and big turbos and all that.
I am content with my Legacy but know there is scope for more hp with its 3 litre powerplant, did not think a stainless steel exhaust would yield such impressive gains so its something i will look into.

I have no real plans to change cars as this is such fun to drive and the facelifts are so rare in manual format i would sure regret selling.

Plus the car shocks so many on the road its nice to be different...remember about a year ago an Audi came up behind me in the 'move out of my way with your $hit box car' pose. Looked like a new ish model anyway i slipped into S# mode and booted it...

he was lost in the rear view mirror and he sheepishly looked across at the next set of lights.

freddofrog said:
the load area in the back of the 8th gen Tourer isn't as big as the 7th gen Tourer, because for some inane Honda reason they dispensed with the trailing-arm suspension which was perfectly ok on the 7th gen Tourer ....Honda probably thought that, with a slightly better engine in the 8th gen, people would take 8th gen Tourers out on track days, can't think of any other reason why they'd limit the load area in an estate car.

Other than that, I've no idea about the others in the list, but when I bought my Accord the Legacy was a very close choice for me, can't say if I made the right decision, but if I'd gone for the Legacy I wouldn't have ended up on TA ....and Eric wouldn't have bought a Legacy if I hadn't been on TA (after Eric sold his Accord he got a Lexus, then a Merc, then decided to get a Legend but I convinced him to get a Legacy)
The Lexus was too boring for me, when I get older i will probably get some other barge to waft around in but now i want something involving drive before i get too old, the Legacy fits the bill perfect.

Should have listened to Brian.. :wub: