What's new

Steering fluid

Channel Hopper

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 7 Estate 2005
Over the past week (and about 20 miles, if that) the Tourer is using up the fluid in the reservoir so that it is about half of full.

There is no leak on the tarmac underneath, but I can't judge whether the loss only occurs when driving, or only steering of course.

Checked the nearest pipes to the filler and they are dry.

So what is likely to be the most common union or seal that might be on the way out ? The car has 154k on the clock btw.

Thanks in advance

The high pressure hose that runs up past the rocker cover.
The usually go just after the clamp at the top, where they have the protective sleeve over them.

The other place to check is the coolant line on the low pressure side. It runs across the front of the radiators and isn't uncommon for them to corrode.

Mine got pretty bad, then got finished off when it took a stone to the face.

Thanks, I've looked in both places but nothing suggests anything is coming out where it shouldn't.

Additionally the handbook doesn't mention the grade of the fluid required and even though the local autofactors have used the registration number, none of their suppliers can identify the exact type that is required. What version is safe for this car and is there any potential issue with mixing old with new ?

I supppose putting some egg white in there isn't good to plug the current invisible leak.

You have to use Honda PSF in these.

Though in an emergency I used 5wt fork oil as it was the most appropriate thing I had on the shelf, and flushed it out 2 days later when I fixed the coolant line.

Price isn't stupid. About a tenner a litre or something.

Sure it was a lot less when I last ordered it from Holdcroft Honda.
It's only £12 delivered on eBay

More than likely goodluck, that was purchased over the counter at my local stealer - no discount

Completely forgot to mention that having topped up the reservoir (and slightly overfilled to make sure) it has remained at the same level for the past 20 miles. Still no idea where it disappeared to either.