What's new

Battery drain 0.88amp stopped by removing fuse 16 under bonnet.

Gavjbrown

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord ivtec ex 09
Hi Guys, can anyone help with this our Honda accord 09 i vtec ex has a battery drain of over 1 amp on connecting the multi meter which soon drops to 0.88amp. The car has been failing to start at times.

By pulling fuse 16 under the bonnet this stops the drain. Symbol of fuse looks like an interior light. On pulling the fuse we get a reading of 0.00amp.

I've fitted a 70ah battery instead of the poor 45ah but obviously that's not going to solve our problem here.

If anyone has any advice or link to the wiring diagram, that would be excellent.

Thanks so much Guys

***uming it's a 2.4, it could also depend on whether the car is a Saloon or Tourer .

It might be the light in the boot (Saloon) , is there a fuse to component list in the owner's manual ?

***uming the wiring loom / fuse locator is not in the back of the handbook, have you got any added extras in the car (on the cigarette lighter, or built into the dashboard / seat headrests ?

1Amp suggests mechanical movement or heating more than lighting, so are any of the seats warm when you sit down ?

Hi Guys, I've tried unplugging the interior and boots lights.

It's a 2.0 saloon. The same fuse stops the central locking working.

Unfortunately the manual isn't detailed enough.

Regards Gav

On the CU1 (2.0 Saloon) , Fuse 16 in the under-hood fuse box protects

Ceiling light, Driver's vanity mirror light, Ignition key light, Left rear door courtesy light, Map light, Passenger's vanity mirror light , Right rear door courtesy light, Trunk light

Thanks, that's great. I'll check those out. Don't suppose anyone knows where's there's a wiring diagram.

One thing I forgot to say was the OS mirror does not tilt down when in reverse but I've already tried disconnecting that and the drain was still present.

I don't want to be a pain buy did you manage to find the wiring diagram as I'll have the opportunity to get on the vehicle in the morning. Regards Gav

See how you get on with this album http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/btg_pics/library/Accord_circuits_8th?sort=9&page=1

I've added four for the under-hood and under-dash boxes , which are CU1_diagram_05 to CU1_diagram_08 (presently the first four in the album).

One of the advantages of the 7th gen is that the circuit diagrams are laid out conventionally. But the circuit diagrams for the 8th gen are horrible, in that "lines" jump around all over the place, using numbers within triangles to pick up from/to other pages. The only way that I personally could use them would be to print each out onto A3 (that's the size I selected to give max resolution) and then glue them together and use coloured pens to join up the lines. I also suspect that some of the fuse numbers in the diagrams are missing superscript numbers (see top right of each diagram for the superscript key) :eek:

Gavjbrown said:
One thing I forgot to say was the OS mirror does not tilt down when in reverse but I've already tried disconnecting that and the drain was still present.
Have you selected the switch on the mirror for the LH mirror ie left it selected to LH mirror other wise it will not dip.

Is there a total of 5 diagrams you've uploaded for gen 8. Struggling with printing or downloading using a pc as not used photobucket for years.

Regards Gav

Gavjbrown said:
Is there a total of 5 diagrams you've uploaded for gen 8. Struggling with printing or downloading using a pc as not used photobucket for years.

Regards Gav

Presently there are 11 circuit diagrams in the album "Accord_circuits_8th"

First 4 are under-hood and under-dash (both sides) on the CU1

Then there's 1 for the starting/charging/ignition systems on the CU1

Then there are 5 for the audio systems on the CU3

Then there's 1 for the seat heaters on the CW3

Got you, can see the 11 now , just struggling to see a print or download button on both pc and android. sorry for being a pain.

Not a problem ;)

Whenever I print an image from a browser, the method I use is to right-click on an image, save to disk, then open it using whatever picture viewer I have and print from that .

You'll probably need the first 4, CU1_diagram_05 to CU1_diagram_08, and while you're at it you might as well do the 5th, CU1_diagram_09

If possible, do them in A3 size, but otherwise A4 and a magnifying glass ;)

I suspect that you've downloaded the "thumbnail" rather than the full image, or something similar.

tbh Photobucket is becoming a pain in the neck with all the advertising , and it's not intuitive on how to do things either.

I'll embed the images here and then you can right-click and save-as from here.