What's new

Fog Lamp

Nightwalker

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hello.

I've still got my 04 Accord, petrol hehe.

I've got a broken passenger side fog lamp, well the light works but the glass is damaged from a stone or whatever.

Looking into getting a new unit on eBay, have found one for £30 but its for the diesel. So is this OK or is the unit different?

I wouldn't of thought the petrol or diesel are any different except for the obvious fact one takes petrol and the other diesel :)

This is the part I'm looking at...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222469411910?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks good to me, but is it?

Oh and anyone know how much a dealer would charge for the same unit? Is £30 a good price?

No logic diesel/petrol fogs to be different but for sure preface and facelift fog lights are different. I think facelift fogs are more then £100 dealer price...probably prefacelifts are cheaper.

The diesel fogs are smaller and on the one side have slots in the surround to allow air flow to the intercooler. That's the only reasoning I can place on them being different.

Stevearcade said:
The diesel fogs are smaller and on the one side have slots in the surround to allow air flow to the intercooler. That's the only reasoning I can place on them being different.
Yep. And that's why the diesel models have horrible foglights that look like a teenager's zits.

especially if they get water in them and turn a little bit rusty yellow :lol:

Jon_G said:
I've not heard of one actually exploding though.
:lol: gross!

Stevearcade said:

Ah, that answers a question I had many moons ago but forgot. My work colleague suggested the nearside front of the vehicle must have been in a crash, based on the missing plastic and the new - shinier - headlight .

She may have been in one of course as there are some dubious rust blisters under the bonnet on that side only.

So the fogs on the diesel are different?? Why is this?? I thought it was essentially the exact same car but merely took diesel fuel (especially the same year 04) Ugh!

£100+ dealer price!! Geez!! I was thinking about £60.

Anyone have any links they can recommend on ebay or amazon?

My car is 2.4 petrol and I bought replacements from a seller in the US. The ones I got were not Honda ones they were a kit for adding onto US Accords (that did not have fogs fitted as standard). Best of all they were all plastic so that cheap Honda metal no longer corrodes. I'll have a look to see if the seller is still selling them ......

OK is this an MOT fail issue? The fog light still works, the light display is the same, its just the glass that is cracked/broken.

The pricing along with the fact you gotta remove the bumper to do it means this will clearly cost me a pretty penny, and I don't even know if its worth it -_- (doesn't seem worth it considering its just a fog light that I never use).

front fog-lights aren't on the MOT, if that was the only reason for wanting to fix it, best to leave it ;)

Channel Hopper said:
It is in some countries.
tumbleweed_zps99ed90be.gif

freddofrog said:
a single reel of black tape will get lonely its own :(

0002190109_10.jpg
Not wanting to go off topic, but do you know how expensive ****ogue tape is these days! I haven't bought any 1/4" now for several years, but it was approx £35 for 30 minutes the last time (which is about enough to fill two 7.5" spools as pictured there). And that was the standard stuff, not a premium brand.

Anyway, back to taping up your fog lamp...

Old tapes won't be worth anything in terms of the tape itself. Tape doesn't age particularly well. I read a thing about old masters being found to be disintegrating in their climate controlled storage compartments. They can be baked to re-strengthen them. But essentially, over time they deteriorate, lose their strength, stretch, snap etc...

That said, if they're old commercial releases, there are probably collectors out there who would pay money for them. Check out eBay for ideas of prices.

1/4" is used in the commercial releases. Also used at the mastering stage (2-track - left & right), so you'd always want new tape for that, what with it being a master. 1/2" and thicker is used for various multi-tracking applications (the thicker, the more tracks). Once you get into 1/2" and thicker, then we're talking serious money. Hundreds of pounds a spool. And even then, it's standard practice to not over-use the tape as stretching and ghosting (previous takes bleeding through after over-dubs) become problems.

It's still a viable industry however (just about). BASF are probably still trading well with tape. It has a tonal colour that's hard to match digitally. Therefore many bands record to tape before transferring those tape recordings to digital. Others choose to master to tape and then transfer that to digital, just to capture some of the "tape sound". The format subtly compresses by its very nature and the way it works. This softens the peaks of transients, especially in the higher areas of the frequency spectrum. It also extends low end frequencies, so in all you end up with a warmer, thicker sound. All recording, no matter the format induces some degree of white noise. Tape has tape hiss, digital as quantisation noise. The higher the digital resolution, the less the noise, but it's still there. What's been found is that tape hiss is actually desirable in some instances. It has a character and warming quality that quantisation noise doesn't. Like I said, many bands and artists still record to tape. I know a mastering engineer who recently invested in an old Studer 1/4" as he was getting a number of requests for tape mastering services.