What's new

VSA Warning light

padraic

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord icdti
Hi everyone, I'm the happy owner of a 2007 Accord i-CTDI Sport. I've had trouble free motoring while I've owned the car and now that I'd decided to sell it it decides to give me a VSA warning on the dash.
I have spent a while reading other forum posts about this issue and I'd like to get more opinions from people before I go any further with this.

The warning light came on one morning last week, I had never seen it before.
I'm seeing the triangle with exclamation mark in it and the orange VSA writing beside it.
I'm also seeing VSA in the main dash display but that can be hidden by pressing the i button on the steering wheel control button.

I checked the brake fluid level, it looked low so I topped it up, this made no difference.
Could worn brake pads cause this warning?
I have checked the error codes by jumping pins 4 & 9, I'm getting error code 66, I've googled this and it sounds like the pressure sensor in the VSA Module.
I've tried clearing the error code but this has not done anything.

I'm just wondering if there is anything else I can do, or do I have to replace the VSA module.
I'm living here in Ireland and because of our stupid car tax laws, my car isnt worth very much. cars before 2008 are taxed based on the engine CC size, and cars after 2008 are taxed based on the emissions, so 2007 Accord tax is €990 and 2008 Accord tax is €445.
So I'll be lucky to sell it for €1700.00 and as you can imagine I cant afford to spend much on repairs before I sell it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Padraic.

only yesterday (I think) there's a good post somewhere with the paper-click method on clearing the code and doing the 66 re-balance

I'll have a look for it later but I suspect someone else will point you to it ;)

I've had the same it's with my 2.4 Type S. Replaced the module 18 months ago. Used BBA Reman.

Last week the dreaded VSA problems returned. Texting control light is on by itself upon startup, then VSA light comes on if the car is driven.

I've also had the check engine light which has got me thinking the engine crank sensor is goosed. No crank sensor, no traction control, no VSA.

Getting it checked out next week. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of the issue.

I'll be posting progress in the following thread:

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23432-traction-control-light/page-2#entry243589

Jon_G said:
66-1 usually means that a pressure sensor inside the control unit has failed. Companies in the UK (such as https://www.bba-reman.com/gb/index.aspx ) can refurbish your ABS controller with a new sensor for less than £200.

Hopefully someone's who's actually had their's repaired will comment.
When I made enquiries last year I was looking at £300+ and when you to.the research, all the firms that repair them have the most appalling customer service records.

As proved by one to sell me items they didn't have, and another not being able to give lead times. Neither were any good at returning a phone call either.

I'll also try to find a VSA unit from a breakers close to me here at home, I cant be with out the car for too long so sending the unit for repair isn't feasible. I would manage to swap the unit in a day if I had one.

J_VTEC said:
Last week the dreaded VSA problems returned. Texting control light is on by itself upon startup, then VSA light comes on if the car is driven.

I've also had the check engine light which has got me thinking the engine crank sensor is goosed. No crank sensor, no traction control, no VSA.

Getting it checked out next week. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of the issue.

I'll be posting progress in the following thread:

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23432-traction-control-light/page-2#entry243589
I also have one engine fault shown when in diagnostic mode (code 3-7 on the lights with paperclip) however the VSA light has been on permanently.
What chance this is a crank sensor issue rather than the ABS unit ?

A faulty crank sensor would bring up a diagnostic trouble code on the engine ECU (P0336 / P0337 / P0338 / P0339 / P0340 - depending on actual fault condition)... ***ociated with this would be the engine warning light and would also invoke 'limp mode' (depending on actual fault condition).

Hi everyone, I've tried to clear the faults and the VSA neutral position setting, but neither of these procedures have cured the problem. Is there anything else I can do before I attempt to replace the VSA Module?

Is there any chance I'm reading the flashes of the ABS light incorrectly, where can I find a list of fault codes?
Has anybody replaced their VSA unit and have a step by step guide done on the job?
Regards Padraic.

If you put 66-1 into the forum search (and make sure you select the 'forums' button) then you'll find a shedload of threads to wade though!

padraic said:
Is there any chance I'm reading the flashes of the ABS light incorrectly, where can I find a list of fault codes?
Has anybody replaced their VSA unit and have a step by step guide done on the job?
Regards Padraic.
I have replaced vsa unit in diesel

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

padraic said:

There are tens of DTCs for the VSA, and hundreds of other DTCs in the car.

No single list of them all, but, you can find each one of them in the ESM (Electronic Service Manual) for the 7th gen.

There's a link to download the 7th gen ESM at the top of page 2 of this thread --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/19286-haynes-us-accord-workshop-manuals/

I've been doing some research in to this issue and have found out that the ABS\VSA unit in these accords is an ATE Teves MK60 pump, also fitted to lots of VW\Audi\Seat\Volvos etc. I've also found out that its possible to buy a repair kit from VW which comprises of just the hydraulic block which has the pressure sensor fitted to it.
So It may be possible to buy this unit and replace the damaged one. I'm going to check this out tomorrow with my local VW garage and local motor factors and get prices for the unit.
You never know it might work.

I have taken one apart and they're just 3 pieces like a sandwich, with the block in the inner piece, so it can be swapped out.
There are also firms that offer an external pressure sensor conversion too.

Goodluckmonkey said:
I have taken one apart and they're just 3 pieces like a sandwich, with the block in the inner piece, so it can be swapped out.
There are also firms that offer an external pressure sensor conversion too.
Has anybody here successfully manages to fit a new hydraulic block to their pump? The problem i foresee is not having the correct part number when I go to VW or my local motor factors for the part.

There is a company in Cork selling recon ABS units, Freestorm is the name of them.
Their phone is 021 6019237
I don't know anything about them but it might help to give them a call.

Bounder said:
There is a company in Cork selling recon ABS units, Freestorm is the name of them.
Their phone is 021 6019237
I don't know anything about them but it might help to give them a call.
Hi there, I've been on to them, and they sound like decent guys but they are pricey enough. I presume that all they do is replace the hydraulic block the same as I'm hoping to do. I'm going to try to see if I can buy this unit myself and fit it.

***uming the part is manufactured by a third party (Bosch at a guess) , the main dealers should be able to cross reference their part number to an order list of OEM suppliers.

Hi, bit late tacking on, (new member so bear with me) had the vsa lights on, took brake module off myself out the top takes hour and half including draining brake fluid down, took mine to ecu testing, great service, but the repair failed few months later, needed another quick for the mot, ATP of Cannock changed failed unit over while I waited, takes hour and half to refit include bleed brakes, passed mot few days later and still going strong. Will post pics and write up on removing module out the top, Didn't fancy disturbing headlights etc

It's a pain in the axx to replace vsa on diesel doable but a pain

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Channel Hopper said:
***uming the part is manufactured by a third party (Bosch at a guess) , the main dealers should be able to cross reference their part number to an order list of OEM suppliers.
On the petrol Accords the ABS/VSA unit is Nissin, is it not also Nissin on the diesel ?

ATE mk60 on the diesel