What's new

VSA Warning light

There are different part numbers for pre and post facelift, and for saloon and estate models, but they're all the same lump of hardware AFAIK.

Thanks

I might have a go at dismantling the unit on Monday after the last of the checks, see if I can locate the switch alongside Padraic, it can't be that difficult (famous last words)

It's within the alloy block.
Comes apart easily, just the long bolts thay go right the way through. Think they were T20 Torx from memory.

Have you taken one apart before ?

I can see the large torx bolt heads around the cylindrical bit in black, are these the ones you mean ?

s-l1600.jpg

They remove the and pump from the block.
Grom what I remember, there are 2 long ones on the end of the pump that go through the whole shebang.

Well that's the reason why the diesels get these problems whereas the petrols don't, different manufacturer of the ABS/VSA unit.

The entire braking system on the 7th gen petrol Accords is Nissin, does this mean that the rest of the parts in the diesel braking system is also not Nissin ?

Apart from the VSA unit, the diesel has the same brakes as it's 2.4 counterparts doesn't it?

Goodluckmonkey said:
Apart from the VSA unit, the diesel has the same brakes as it's 2.4 counterparts doesn't it?
I don't know, I'm not the one with a diesel LOL

From the factory, the 7th gen petrol models came fitted with Nissin VSA/ABS unit and Nissin calipers

I'm just wondering what calipers came on the 7th gen diesel, if it came with Nissin calipers then why not a Nissin VSA/ABS unit

freddofrog said:
I don't know, I'm not the one with a diesel LOL
I don't have a 2.4 petrol to compare mine with either ;)

The VSA unit seems to be fitted to virtually every mid-sized diesel car of the same era, and it's a total lemon.

It's a load of nonsense anyway. I have a right foot to control any wheelspin, and years of racing have taught me vehicle control.

The VSA unit seems to be fitted to virtually every mid-sized diesel car of the same era, and it's a total lemon.

It's a load of nonsense anyway. I have a right foot to control any wheelspin, and years of racing have taught me vehicle control.

Goodluckmonkey said:
I don't have a 2.4 petrol to compare mine with either ;)
well I've already said in #38 "The entire braking system on the 7th gen petrol Accords is Nissin"

so what was on your 7th gen Accord diesel (before you started swapping calipers) ??

Goodluckmonkey said:

most other drivers resemble the one below, hence ABS and VSA (and it's nothing to do with the type of fuel that the engine uses)

old-lady-driver_2926832k.jpg

and once your car has VSA and/or ABS it must be in working condition ;)

Yes, garbage isn't it.
If I turn the VSA on in the wife's petrol FRV the motor feels half as nice, or at least that was the case on a spirited drive home the other day when I had it to myself - all heel and toe and lift of oversteer, it feels like a civic when you wail on it, great fun.

My accords still OE in the braking department as 2.2 turbodiesel doesn t really encourage much hooning.

It was my legacy that ended up brembo equipped.

Hi everyone, lots of great updates. I have got a price from my local VW garage for the a repair kit for the pump, the part number i used was 1K0698517B, €330.00 I also found a company here in Ireland that can do the repair fro €360 (Part exchange of my own pump)
So this has me wondering if they are repairing the faulty sensor or using the repair kits?

Anyway, if the repair kit can be got from VW for €330, it must be possible to purchase it elsewhere cheaper?

The only other option is if a separate new sensor can be sourced, remove the old one and shrink the new one with liquid nitrogen and install it, sounds easy.!!!

freddofrog said:
well I've already said in #38 "The entire braking system on the 7th gen petrol Accords is Nissin"

so what was on your 7th gen Accord diesel (before you started swapping calipers) ??

most other drivers resemble the one below, hence ABS and VSA (and it's nothing to do with the type of fuel that the engine uses)

old-lady-driver_2926832k.jpg

and once your car has VSA and/or ABS it must be in working condition ;)
Unless you have the vehicle classed as a hearse on the V5C.

When would one of the drivers as resembled above put the VSA into use btw, apart from at the demolition derby ?

Channel Hopper said:
When would one of the drivers as resembled above put the VSA into use btw, apart from at the demolition derby ?
VSA defaults to active every time you start the engine.

It is there for TCS and Oversteer/Understeer control, and also controls EBD.

freddofrog said:

And so helps your rear brake pads to wear surprisingly quickly (but not before the wretched things have jammed a few times)

Jon_G said:
And so helps your rear brake pads to wear surprisingly quickly (but not before the wretched things have jammed a few times)
I always turn the VSA off but it makes not difference to rear caliper issues

freddofrog said:
I always turn the VSA off but it makes not difference to rear caliper issues
I wasn't blaming the pad jamming on the VSA, just the additional wear that VSA creates on the pads.

Jon_G said:
I wasn't blaming the pad jamming on the VSA, just the additional wear that VSA creates on the pads.
maybe so, but as I say, I always turn the VSA off, always, every time I start the engine ;)

freddofrog said:
maybe so, but as I say, I always turn the VSA off, always, every time I start the engine ;)
I wonder if an insurance company could use that against you following a crash where no other vehicle was involved?

Jon_G said:
I wonder if an insurance company could use that against you following a crash where no other vehicle was involved?
I can't see why, if that was true then it would not be legal for a manufacturer to fit a VSA OFF switch

freddofrog said:
I can't see why, if that was true then it would not be legal for a manufacturer to fit a VSA OFF switch
Does it also turn off the ABS? There are circumstances where braking is improved with ABS off (e.g. driving on snow or sand).

Why do you insist on driving with the VSA disabled?

I'm not a fan either and hit the button as soon as I get in the car in the FRV.

Don't know about anyone else here, but I'm not keen on the car interfering, and part of knowing about the levels of grip and the road conditions comes from the.feedback you get through the car.
When it's applying the brakes and cutting the power for you, that information is lost.

A few years back I watched the 4x4 in front of me go up a bank in the snow and the car behind me find the following ditch on an s-bend in the snow.
I was in the Subaru and just potyered round with a small sniff of opposite lock and a tickle of the gas, whereas the 2 other vehicles with their electronic nannies both couldn't cope with the conditions.

I'd had a lower entry speed into the corners because I could feel what was going on. Ignorance isn't bliss.

freddofrog said:

I meant when would there be an occasion that the VSA is actually doing something to the brakes, or offering any ***istance to the drivers input, or other between 8-28 MPH ?

Jon_G said:
Does it also turn off the ABS? There are circumstances where braking is improved with ABS off (e.g. driving on snow or sand).

Why do you insist on driving with the VSA disabled?
VSA causes the car to "lurch" if you put your foot to the floor coming out of a roundabout in the wet, but with VSA off, you just get wheel spin without any "lurch". As Matt says, if you know how to drive a car quickly in the wet (and snow) that never had these "aids", you're better off without them. Turning off VSA does not turn off ABS, but note that ABS is there to enable you to steer normally while braking at the same time, ABS is not a replacement for cadence braking.

Channel Hopper said:
I meant when would there be an occasion that the VSA is actually doing something to the brakes, or offering any ***istance to the drivers input, or other between 8-28 MPH ?
see this --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23411-wheel-sensors-my-experience-of-drilling-out/?p=243779

freddofrog said:
VSA causes the car to "lurch" if you put your foot to the floor coming out of a roundabout in the wet, but with VSA off, you just get wheel spin without any "lurch". As Matt says, if you know how to drive a car quickly in the wet (and snow) that never had these "aids", you're better off without them. Turning off VSA does not turn off ABS, but note that ABS is there to enable you to steer normally while braking at the same time, ABS is not a replacement for cadence braking.

see this --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23411-wheel-sensors-my-experience-of-drilling-out/?p=243779
None of those appear to meet the criteria, except the first, and only in exceptional purposes (hard acceleration from an oily/icy stop, hardly the choice of the one in the image). A bank robber perhaps wanting a quick getaway off a winter kerb.

The only times I have deviated from chosen paths is when the rear shock absorbers of one car (early Passat 1800) and one bike (another Honda - CX500, not mine) were shot and they did their thing The CX was a wake up call in the corner but the Passat in a straight line at 55MPH was fun to try- once, and learn from the experience. In each case the failure of suspension parts was the root cause.

Complete traction control is the nirvana of many car designers, yaw algorithm solutions via ABS add-ons) have never been the ideal fix as anyone on an oil skid road (or hovercraft) will tell you. Fly by wire is unfortunately the end result, with the nut behind the wheel being completely removed from the equation.