What's new

Air Con Sensor 10 = ER

norton2j

Members
Reaction score
Car
Saloon 2.2 cdti 2004
Hi all,

After the first warm day since acquiring my diesel accord, I have discovered the air con is not working.

Searching through the forums I have discovered the diagnostics for the system, and number 10 for the gas pressure sensor reads "ER", which I would guess is part of the issue.

Presumably I need to get this replaced as a starting point, and the other forums suggest this ought to be done by a mechanic as the system will need de/re-gassing before/after changing the part. I just wanted to double check this was the case and ask if there is anything else I can do to test this before forking out any money. Also, is it possible/likely that there are other issues and that this won't be the only thing that needs doing? The system seems to work otherwise, fanning un heated air at low set temperatures and hot air when I crank it up.

Other things to note from the diagnostics:

Sensor 8 - Vehicle Speed - shows as 0 even when the car is moving.
Sensor 2 - Ambient Temperature - this isn't the same as the Outside temperature shown on the trip computer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James

If you think you're up to it then you can do it yourself, it really is not difficult.

I took my car to a Halfords Autocentre (the garage type of place) to evacuate the gas. Anywhere with an R-134a refrigerant recovery station can also do it. After you've done the work you will be going back, so they usually charge a fee for both removing and re-filling. They should note how much gas came out, and the amount of oil (if any), make a note of it to.

The rest is obvious, but when you remove the pressure sensor , if you have any e.g. "domestic problems" when fitting the new one and run out of time, block the pipes.

That's all there is to it .....any forum that suggests it should be "done by a mechanic" (or whatever) is not supporting the DIY community (they usually don't get their hands dirty).

As long as all the other sensors are working I wouldn't be too concerned about sensor 8 e.g. engine temperature, daylight sensor, and the flap percents (check that the percents change as you ramp the target temperature up and down).

What is the difference between sensor 2 and the one in the trip display, if it's a constant couple of degrees, there is an offset for the one in the trip display that can be changed.

Thanks Brian, I think I was being led by the fact you had to get the gassing done by someone. I've got one of those halfords centres up the road, I'll give them a call and find out the cost.

Do you have any threads to hand that walk through the process - where I'm looking etc. If not I'll have another search.

Also any suggestions on the cheapest place to pick up a sensor?

I think all the other sensors were doing what they should. As long as the speed sensor doesn't affect the performance of the system I won't worry. And yes sensor 2 was only a couple of degrees out. Again, not an issue but wanted to check.

Thanks,

see this thread --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/10382-diagnosing-aircon-problems/

I started that thread 5 years ago when I didn't know as much about the system as I do now LOL

But later in the thread there are a lot of pictures and bits of info on the pressure sensor in the diesel car.

Current price of sensor is £66 , part 18 here --> http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__6003&block_03=2847&block_05=hcr

you can get a 10% club discount from Holdcroft Honda in Stoke

a few more closeups of the other bits in front of the radiator --> http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__5801&block_03=2847&block_05=hcr

btw it's easier to get at if you remove the bumper

Cheers Brian.

Not top of my list, but at least I'm now armed for when I get the time to do it. Will update with how it goes when I do.

First time I've ever really tinkered with a car and feeling myself getting into it!

If you remove the bumper, it's not difficult but fiddly , and it's a tad easier first time if you have someone to help lift it off and put it back on (even more fiddly).

This parts diagram might help
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__4600&block_03=2850&block_05=hcr

You don't have to take it all apart like that LOL, but it's a good idea to make a note of which plastic clips came out of which holes, they are different lengths (although if a mechanic has had the bumper off previously, even a Honda mechanic, you'll probably find that some of the plastic clips are a bit bodged).

Watch out for the hidden self-tappers #55, and the bolts #37 under the front