• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Name:Serg
  • Car :Accord 2.2i CTDI
  • LocationBarnet

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:45 AM

Hi all,

I've just started to get this whining/siren sound coming from the engine on a cold start which i believe is the turbo, the sound only kicks in when i put my foot down a bit and the sound gets louder at around 2000rpm. I had the turbo reconditioned about 18 months ago plus i had the car remapped with egr off. When I have driven the car for a bit and its heated up, the sound becomes much lower but still noticeable.

I took the car to the garage who reconditioned and fitted my turbo and he is blaming it on the egr being off and that a vacuum solenoid and another solenoid is not functioning correctly so the turbo isnt working at 100%.

Has anyone experienced or know anything about this please? The car still drives like normal and has plenty of power, no engine lights on all clear, although the car is eating a bit extra oil, just before the last service the car was drinking the oil a lot more as the oil got towards the end of its life.

Cheers.

(2008 Accord 2.2i CTDi)

Honda Accord 2.2i CTDI Saloon - 2008 Reg - Black Colour (What a Monster!)

#2 Jon_G

Jon_G

No Longer Active

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,124 posts
  • Name:Jon
  • Car :2005 Tourer i-CTDi
  • LocationNr Ludlow, Shropshire

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

Hard to accurately diagnose such things remotely like this, but your description of the problem - specifically the noise and oil consumption - sounds EXACTLY like a failing turbo shaft bearing to me.

if a vacuum solenoid had failed then the associated engine sub-system would not be functioning correctly. Then the engine management warning light would come on.

If you have a high oil consumption because of a failing turbo shaft bearing then you are at risk of catastrophic diesel runaway... https://en.wikipedia...engine_runaway

Edited by Jon_G, 18 May 2017 - 09:02 AM.

#3 DJSR

DJSR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationBarnet

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:19 AM

Hard to accurately diagnose such things remotely like this, but your description of the problem - specifically the noise and oil consumption - sounds EXACTLY like a failing turbo shaft bearing to me.

if a vacuum solenoid had failed then the associated engine sub-system would not be functioning correctly. Then the engine management warning light would come on.

If you have a high oil consumption because of a failing turbo shaft bearing then you are at risk of catastrophic diesel runaway... https://en.wikipedia...engine_runaway

Hi Jon, thanks for the reply.

According to the wikipedia link, it tells me the engine draws extra fuel from an unintended source and overspeeds at higher and higher RPM until destroyed by mechanical failure or bearing seizure through lack of lubrication. 

Could this be caused by the remap/egr off ? or Would you recommend replacing the turbo unit completely?

Cheers

Edited by DJSR, 18 May 2017 - 09:21 AM.

#4 Jon_G

Jon_G

No Longer Active

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

Hi Jon, thanks for the reply.

According to the wikipedia link, it tells me the engine draws extra fuel from an unintended source and overspeeds at higher and higher RPM until destroyed by mechanical failure or bearing seizure through lack of lubrication. 

Could this be caused by the remap/egr off ? or Would you recommend replacing the turbo unit completely?

Cheers

You haven't yet suffered catastrophic diesel runaway, that link was merely to show to you what MIGHT happen IF your engine obtains a source of fuel from an unintended source, e.g. drawing engine oil through a very worn (and therefore leaking) turbo shaft bearing seals.

I cannot see how your current 'siren noise' problem could possibly be caused by the 'EGR off' remap.

IF the turbo bearing was worn so badly that it was making a siren noise and causing high engine oil consumption then I would definitely want to replace the turbo BEFORE more serious damage happened (such as catastrophic diesel runaway, which would almost certainly destroy your entire engine).

Did you get any sort of warranty with that recon turbo?

I'm speculating, but it wouldn't be the first time that an original turbo has failed, but then the replacement fails shortly afterwards. This is often because the underlying fault was/is a blockage in the oil feed pipe to the turbo shaft bearing that has never been cleared. 

#5 DJSR

DJSR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationBarnet

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:51 AM

I only got a 12 month warranty with the reconditioned turbo which was fitted 18 months ago.

it looks like i will be buying another turbo Jon, as it looks like the previous turbo was rebuilt poorly or as you say there is still a blockage in the pipe.

I'm just a bit stuck with where to get it fitted, i've found a place near me in london who rebuilds turbo's and has had good feedback from their customers.

If you got time, take a look at this reconditioned turbo company Jon and let me know what you think, or would you know anywhere to get decent turbo? 

http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Cheers 

#6 Jon_G

Jon_G

No Longer Active

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

Not a bad price and their eBay feedback is good and I see you'd get a 24-month warranty. So should be OK.

If you do fit a new turbo then do make sure that the oil feed pipe is properly checked for signs of blockage.

Although I'd bet a small amount that your turbo has failed, I'd still want confirmation before replacing it. Here's a YT vidclip put up (I think by this TypeAccord member... http://typeaccord.co...user/3725-wing/) showing the play that he had on his Accord turbo:-

• DJSR likes this

#7 Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car :Accord 7 Estate 2005
  • LocationKT8 Postcode

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:18 AM

Hi all,

I've just started to get this whining/siren sound coming from the engine on a cold start which i believe is the turbo, the sound only kicks in when i put my foot down a bit and the sound gets louder at around 2000rpm. I had the turbo reconditioned about 18 months ago plus i had the car remapped with egr off. When I have driven the car for a bit and its heated up, the sound becomes much lower but still noticeable.

I took the car to the garage who reconditioned and fitted my turbo and he is blaming it on the egr being off and that a vacuum solenoid and another solenoid is not functioning correctly so the turbo isnt working at 100%.

Has anyone experienced or know anything about this please? The car still drives like normal and has plenty of power, no engine lights on all clear, although the car is eating a bit extra oil, just before the last service the car was drinking the oil a lot more as the oil got towards the end of its life.

Cheers.

(2008 Accord 2.2i CTDi)

For the cost of the fluid alone, I would change the oil for something cheap and cheerful (keeping the old stuff if recently replaced) run around for an hour or so, check for any change in noise and the colour when you drain it back out.

Did the garage carry out the checks with a diagnostic tool and have you got the numbers confirming what they found wrt the solenoid etc ?

Edited by Channel Hopper, 18 May 2017 - 10:21 AM.

#8 DJSR

DJSR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationBarnet

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

For the cost of the fluid alone, I would change the oil for something cheap and cheerful (keeping the old stuff if recently replaced) run around for an hour or so, check for any change in noise and the colour when you drain it back out.

Did the garage carry out the checks with a diagnostic tool and have you got the numbers confirming what they found wrt the solenoid etc ?

Hi Stephen, thanks for the reply.

I only had the oil changed 3000 miles ago and i always use Castrol titanium 0-30w.

The garage did carry out a diagnostic check and said the Vacuum Solenoid (139700-0870 - No. 087 on the unit isnt working) and the other solenoid at the back of the engine which i think is 101362-4890 - No. 489. He wouldnt give me much other information and blamed egr being blocked.

#9 DJSR

DJSR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationBarnet

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

I've just made a video recording of the sound, click link below.

20170518_113513.mp4

#10 honda_saj

honda_saj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Name:sajeel
  • Car :honda accord
  • Locationlondon

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

Yes that is whine from turbo as
Others have said rebuild or replace

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
  • DJSR likes this

hope that helps post back and let us know so that others can benefit from the information

Regards,

saj

#11 DJSR

DJSR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationBarnet

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:13 AM

Yes that is whine from turbo as
Others have said rebuild or replace

Cheers for the reply Sajeel, How much life is left in it do you reckon?? 

• bananahead likes this

#12 honda_saj

honda_saj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Locationlondon

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

Ebay turbo seems good

• DJSR likes this

hope that helps post back and let us know so that others can benefit from the information

Regards,

saj

#13 honda_saj

honda_saj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Locationlondon

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

Cheers for the reply Sajeel, How much life is left in it do you reckon??

can't say could be a month or six months order replacement and keep that when it packs up crawl home and get replaced if you want to run it till it dies or replace for piece of mind (my recommendation) remember if you lose turbo and are far from home it will drive gutless.

Regards,

saj

#14 Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car :Accord 7 Estate 2005
  • LocationKT8 Postcode

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

I've just made a video recording of the sound, click link below.

20170518_113513.mp4

I can hear the - usual -  whine throughout, but about halfway and 2/3 of the recording you have a secondary lower noise that cuts in at a specific engine speed, not heard that before on any turbo.

Is there any blue/white smoke from the exhaust ?

#15 DJSR

DJSR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationBarnet

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

I can hear the - usual -  whine throughout, but about halfway and 2/3 of the recording you have a secondary lower noise that cuts in at a specific engine speed, not heard that before on any turbo.

Is there any blue/white smoke from the exhaust ?

I get smoke on a cold start, mainly white smoke.

#16 DJSR

DJSR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationBarnet

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

I've just spoken to my mechanic and he is telling me to purchase a new oil pressure pipe with the turbo, are these main dealer only ??

#17 freddofrog

freddofrog

won 16.4k on Euro lottery :)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • Name:.Freddo
  • Car :TBD
  • LocationOff abroad

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:55 AM

when it's fixed, fit one of these in the boot of the car

https://youtu.be/q5FwsIkJCXU?t=1m40s

• Jon_G and DJSR like this

#18 DJSR

DJSR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationBarnet

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:02 PM

when it's fixed, fit one of these in the boot of the car

https://youtu.be/q5FwsIkJCXU?t=1m40s

hahahaha! 

#19 DJSR

DJSR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationBarnet

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:03 PM

recon turbo - £240 , labour £280 , Oil Pressure Pipe - ??? (honda only part, they've gonna kill me !!! They wanted £240 just for high pressure power steering pipe!)

No Holiday for me this year, thanks car! lol

EDIT: Just spoke to Honda - Oil Pressure pipe £40....maybe i can go on holiday now! lol

(just out of curiosity i asked honda how much a new turbo would be - £2k lol bye)

Edited by DJSR, 18 May 2017 - 12:13 PM.

#20 Jon_G

Jon_G

No Longer Active

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:24 PM

Is that Honda quote from Holdcroft Honda with our exclusive TA forum discount?