What's new

Knocking under braking !

Grayedout

Members
Reaction score
So my weekend went like this on my 2004 Tourer:

Friday night - replaced from disks and pads - no problems

Saturday - drove the car and fine except brakes still felt a bit spongy. Had the tracking done which was out

Sunday morning - Took all the wheels off and bled all four brakes. No sign of air but pretty sure the fluid was ready for a change anyway. Also swapped wheels front to rear to even out tyre wear. Later that day drove the car and under light to medium braking there was a rotational knocking from the front. Sounded like nearside but hard to pin point. No loss in braking performance and no noise under harsh braking

Monday - drove the car and knocking still there and possibly getting worse!. So front wheels off and everything checked and all tight. Pads removed and checked against old ones to check size and looked fine. Swapped front wheels from side to side to see if sound followed. Re-built, drove car and after a single instance of knocking the sound disappeared no matter how much I tried to make it return.

This morning - driving to work and the noise is back !!!!

Only think I can possibly think of is the pads chattering but the tension springs are there.

Any ideas?

May temporarily refit the old pads to see if this solves the noise!

It might be the pads I suppose. Where did you get them from ?

Is it always in a straight line ? What about during cornering ?

What about those darned shields, I know it's usually a screeching noise that they make, but has someone (tracking) bent one ?

Eurocarparts for the pads. They were the cheapest options.

Not really tried the cornering verses straight but you thinking the disks deflecting during the cornering?

No not the shields. When I had it apart the second time I checked nothing was catching anywhere !

I have the Eicher (?) EuroCarParts in my diesel and it's all good - actually due a new set.
Could they be the incorrect pads and therefore a little slack? Does the diesel and petrol pad even swap over??

Normally though with a slack pad, you just get the one clunk (I have rattly pads in my race bike)