What's new

ABS, /!\ and VSA dashboard lights all come on but no issues?

Economic

Members
Reaction score
Car
54 plate 2.2 CTDI ex
Hi guys.

Long time lurker first time poster.

I hope you are all well.

For about 5 months I've has the above three warning lights all come on seemingly randomly but they don't seem to affect normal use (although I did get a fright the first time it came on because I was on a long drive). I read a thread on here that someone just brushed some dirt off the wheel and that resolved the issue however I noticed something this morning. I have been feeling a slight (lasts for about a split second) grinding under pressure on the brake pedal sometimes (about once a day) and this morning as soon as I felt the grind the lights came on. It could be a coincidence...

Anyway. Any ideas what it could be if I should be worried?

They come on usually every day. I drive about 20 miles a day under city conditions, and sometimes it comes on after a cold start, others only after a good 10 minutes. Sometimes they turn off as quick as they come on, sometimes they stay on until the end of the drive.

Basic service with Honda in Jan 2016, transmission fluid and belt (chain?) change in June 16, service on way.

I hope I have been descriptive enough and am happy to do any further investigations.

Thanks in advance

Sorry, in case it's important, it's done about 110,000 miles

freddofrog said:
that was good timing , I've just made a new thread on this topic --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23543-obd2-scs-absvsa/

please continue the discussion here after you've read that thread

welcome to TA btw ;)
Thanks Brian.

I'm ***uming you want me to short pins 4 and 9, find the code and tell you what the code is (sorry, you'll have to be patient with me, I can follow instructions though).

I do have a ELM327 dongle that I can connect to my phone but i've never used it (I'm kind of a "be prepared" person) but I'm not sure it will do what I need at this moment.

I'll report back once I have the code.

Thanks!

yep, ELM327 won't read the ABS/VSA codes, but the SCS method works (see the new thread).

freddofrog said:
yep, ELM327 won't read the ABS/VSA codes, but the SCS method works (see the new thread).
Hi. Finally had time for this. Ok, so Engine light was 18 long, 4 short.
ABS light was the following:

So a lot of them refer to the left wheels. I'm ***uming I need to do something and not just clear the codes using the pedals, right?

Guidance please?

Thanks!

freddofrog said:
clear the codes using the link in that thread which is here --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23396-abs-vsa-fault-anybody-got-any-advice-please-cos-i-wanna-scream/?p=242991 then check again.

This is because old codes stay until someone clears them.
Ok, after step 4 the ABS light doesn't come back on but the errors remain and the lights still come up randomly while driving. I'm going to try to proceed with the rest of the steps ***uming that the ABS light came back on.

You could try a few times until the sequence works properly, best to clear them. But don't go OCD on it LOL

Otherwise, as you say, those codes are ***ociated with both on the LHS so you could take the wheels off and take a look at the sensors and the wiring.

freddofrog said:
You could try a few times until the sequence works properly, best to clear them. But don't go OCD on it LOL

Otherwise, as you say, those codes are ***ociated with both on the LHS so you could take the wheels off and take a look at the sensors and the wiring.
I shorted ports 5 and 16 because I was careless. They were shorted for about 3 minutes before the spark, and I had been turning the car to ignition and was wondering why no error codes were coming up. When I realised I had the wrong ports I removed the clip and I saw a small spark from Port 16. Now the car won't start. Any ideas please?

Another reason why I don't recommend the paperclip method, hopefully will be just a blown fuse and not damaged ecu

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Probably hasn't damaged the engine ECU, check fuse 8 in the box under the bonnet.

freddofrog said:
Probably hasn't damaged the engine ECU, check fuse 8 in the box under the bonnet.
Hi. Fuse 8 is a 20a and I don't have any spare 20. I swapped it with fuse 9 (cigarette port) and car still doesn't start but phone still charges (from cigarette port) so I don't think fuse 8 is blown. Any other ideas please?

I so grateful.

Edit ok, I'm looking in the wrong fuse box. I didn't realise there were two. I'll try but it's the first time there for me.

Seems straight forward enough but it's started to rain so I'll wait a bit.

It's in the main fuse box under the bonnet ......not the fuse box inside the car

Look in the lid of the fuse box, there is a 'location schematic' in the lid with the fuse numbers. It's number 8 that has blown. You can swap it with fuse 9, but be aware that this might spuriously bring on the glow-plug warning light.

(you're lucky it's the diesel ECU and not the petrol ECU, OBD2 pin 5 on diesel goes direct to ground, OBD2 pin 5 on the petrol goes to the engine ECU).

Yup, fuse 8 blown. Swapping with fuse 9 starts the car again. I'm putting the blown fuse in Port 4 under dash until I buy some more fuses tomorrow because the passenger seat doesn't recline anymore although you could hear it trying to react to the button.

I owe you guys.

I'm taking it to a trusted mechanic tomorrow for an oil change (i don't have a garage or stumps) and he'll take a look at the errors.

^ probably best move, garage readers will read any engine codes and, depending on their reader, it might read the 7th-gen ABS/VSA unit .

Ok so the mechanic acknowledged the faults with their device and turned the wheels for some diagnosis. They then took it out for a drive with the device connected but came back to say they are all reading equally, it could be an intermittent fault, and that I should monitor it.

The lights are currently off, and I'll keep updating.

30 minute drive in the morning, no lights. 15 minutes into a drive 8 hours later, lights come on.

I parked 5 minutes after they came on. I came back 15 minutes later and they were off for the duration of another 30 minute drive. I parked again for 5 minutes and drove for another 5 minutes. No lights still. Really weird. It's kind of bittersweet. I love seeing no lights but I kind of wish they would stay on so the garage could ****yse the issue lol

The related error code will have been stored. It's just sitting there waiting for you to read it!

The light does not need to be on for the code to be read.

As above.

The usual procedure is

1. clear all codes
2. run the car
3. look at the latest codes

Note that if 1. was not done, then 2 and 3 are futile ;)

The lights were on and off like a Christmas tree today... I'm going to the garage on Friday to change discs and track rods. Will update.

Mechanic says abs sensor needs replacing. £60 for the part. Will update.

Front left sensor was broken and replaced.there was no stock of the rear sensor. No lights for 30 minutes driving so far. Will update.

No lights after a typical week of driving. I guess we can consider this issue closed.

Thanks all.