What's new

Air vents pushing air randomly without being switched on

Economic

Members
Reaction score
Car
54 plate 2.2 CTDI ex
Hi. Does anyone know why this happens? I can't tell what triggers it, it seems random. When I turn it on it works fine but sometimes it pushes out air without being turned on by the buttons. It's never the air con though, it's very subtle.

Thanks

If the vents are open and the system is off, air flow through the system from outside will still find its way in. The faster you drive, the more you'll feel the air flow. If you don't want the air to flow in, you have to close the vent with the open/close wheels next to the vents on the dash.

^ what he said

the only way to stop it is to put it into recirc and then switch off

^^ when you stop your vent system the flap should cut the outside flow.
At least my car do this.
Hope its not something wrong with my car :)

could be something wrong with the Accords owned by the OP and Steve and me LOL
must admit I found it strange when I first noticed it

freddofrog said:
could be something wrong with the Accords owned by the OP and Steve and me LOL
must admit I found it strange when I first noticed it
I have reason to believe that this is the case. The last time I had the air con on the dial was on Lo. I've had the climate control off for a few days. Today I was driving on a 50mph road and I felt air coming out of the vents. I turned the dial all the way to the end of the red level and the air went (or turned hot, I can't tell, it's ever so sudden but there definitely was a change). I turned it back and within seconds it felt cold again. This could be a trick of the mind but I did it about 5 times each way and the change was definitely felt. Please try it yourself when you feel the air coming out of the vents when you have the climate control off.

This will confirm that it is not just air from outside but the car is definitely having some sort of effect.

When I first noticed it I tried everything, IIRC no different even when putting it to "recirc" before hitting off.
These days I hardly notice it, best thing is to turn up the music instead LOL
But you can leave climate control on and switch A/C off instead.

An update. While turning the dial to RED does stop cold air coming out the vents, it actually pumps out hot air! Remember this is when the climate control is off!

Pushing the recirc button seems to do the trick but seriously, this must be a glitch and cannot be by design, I refuse to believe that Honda designed air to be pushed out of the vents when they feel like it when climate control is deactivated by the driver and decided that a setting needs to be switched ON in order to stop this action.

Well the system is actually "climate control" which means that it's supposed to be on all the time.

freddofrog said:
Well the system is actually "climate control" which means that it's supposed to be on all the time.
You might be playing devil's advocate but I'll play along too.

In that case, why can I turn the "Auto" button on and off? It shouldn't be changeable.

well I wasn't consciously playing devil's advocate, but I was being trite ;)

As you may know, the system uses motorised flaps, but there is no flap on the inlet to the blower. The principle of "climate control" is to mix two air-streams, one hot and one cold. The former comes from the heater-matrix (which is either fully-on or fully-off) and the latter comes from the evaporator. The entrance to both streams is from the blower. The flap moves up or down between the two air-streams according to the difference between the target-temperature and the measured temperature. e.g. set the target to LO and the flap moves to a position which closes off the flow from the heater-matrix (and the heater-matrix will be turned off), set the tarhet to HI and the flap moves to a position which closes off the flow from the evaporator (and you should hear the compressor cycling on less frequently).

If your car has satnav (like mine) then the OFF switch does seem confusing, but if you go to the A/C controls in the satnav you'll see that there are more controls (which are there as real buttons in the non-satnav car). On those controls you can turn A/C off and also set the directions of the flow and the blower speed. I tend to use those controls rather than Auto. The target temperatures still adjust the flap positions between the two air-streams (with just ambient coming through the evaporator).

I can see why they never fitted a flap on the entrance to the blower because it is unusual to want to shut off the whole system completely. It's just that the virtual controls in the satnav make it seem odd.

freddofrog said:
well I wasn't consciously playing devil's advocate, but I was being trite ;)

As you may know, the system uses motorised flaps, but there is no flap on the inlet to the blower. The principle of "climate control" is to mix to air-streams, one hot and one cold. The former comes from the heater-matrix (which is either fully-on or full-off) and the latter comes from the evaporator. The entrance to both streams is from the blower. The flap moves up and down according to the difference between the target-temperature and the measured temperature.
I did not know about the flaps. I see how the flap moves according to the difference but this is my gripe- when I'm using any of the climate control functionality, the bottom of the lcd tells me what it's doing. When I push the "off" button, that whole bar disappears, and as such, I expect it to then disregard the dial and not consider it a target anymore because it looks like (to me, according to the lcd bar being blank) the climate control is no longer active.

freddofrog said:
If your car has satnav (like mine) then the OFF switch does seem confusing, but if you go to the a/C controls in the satnav you'll see that there are more controls (which are there as real buttons in the non-satnav car). On those controls you can turn A/C off and also set the directions of the flow and the blower speed. I tend to use those controls rather than Auto.
I have a non-sat nav version and I do use the buttons instead of "auto" but it may well be that I have misunderstood the "off" button and that it does not mean "turn off all climate control activity and let me bake/freeze of my own accord".

You're not really using a Nokia 6110 are you?

I did a slight edit on #11 (didn't know you were replying).

When you have the extra controls available (either using the virtual ones in satnav or real ones in non-satnav) the OFF button does seem anachronistic ...well it does to me anyway.

I suppose that what they should have done was move the recirc flap into position when OFF was pressed, but then it would have to remember whether recirc was on or off when Auto gets pressed. Then waht about the heater-matrix, should that be closed off too.

The point is that there are too many variables to take into account when OFF is pressed, basically the A/C compressor no longer works, nor does the blower, but otherwise everything else is "frozen" in position. Whatever else they did with the mixture flaps and the recirc flap and the heater-matrix, someone was going to complain LOL

freddofrog said:
I did a slight edit on #11 (didn't know you were replying).

When you have the extra controls available (either using the virtual ones in satnav or real ones in non-satnav) the OFF button does seem anachronistic ...well it does to me anyway.

I suppose that what they should have done was move the recirc flap into position when OFF was pressed, but then it would have to remember whether recirc was on or off when Auto gets pressed. Then waht about the heater-matrix, should that be closed off too.

The point is that there are too many variables to take into account when OFF is pressed, basically the A/C compressor no longer works, nor does the blower, but otherwise everything else is "frozen" in position. Whatever else they did with the mixture flaps and the recirc flap and the heater-matrix, someone was going to complain LOL
Thanks for the explanation. Now that I understand the intricacies, that light that pops on seems logical to me when I want everything to be "off" haha.

And I just googled "squawktalk"...doesn't exist...I think you had me there.

Economic said:
And I just googled "squawktalk"...doesn't exist...I think you had me there.
it's aimed at all these people using smartphones and tapatalk, as a sign-off it's not relevant to their message