What's new

MrCrazy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and i was wondering if someone would help me out. any advice would be greatly received.

I have a 6th Gen Honda Accord 1.8i, 2000 reg.

Last week i came out to my car and tried to unlock the car using my fob and nothing happened. I put a brand new replacement
battery inside the fob and still i got nothing. even tried another battery still nothing.

I took the fob to an auto locksmith who tested it with an RF tester. he said the fob was completely dead and needed to be replaced.

after watching this video [link below] and many like it. I felt confident that i could buy a used fob from Ebay and program it myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX8ODQ1GKqc

so after buying a replacement fob off ebay i went to program it following the steps in the video above and guess what still nothing :mad:
I believe the new fob is working correctly as the LED lights up when you press "LOCK" "UNLOCK" on the fob. I have even put a new battery in it just incase, still nothing. I'm stumped. thanks in advance for anyone who responds.

The only thing I can think of, is that the used fob from ebay is also dead. I wouldn't think that the LED on the fob indicates that the RF transmitter is working i.e. the LED may only indicate the the battery is ok and that the buttons are making electrical contact to the circuit board, but not that the transmitter is sending out good RF.

Thanks for the reply.

I will take the fob to be tested when i have some free time and i will get back to you. :)

I got the replacement fob tested today and its sending a signal.

I got my original fob tested again its dead.

I had tried programming it again today and nothing. :( :(

I don't think so, as long as the car recognises the immobiliser in the ignition, the system should let you code new transmitters to it.

Have you tried the procedure in the ESM , I saw it in there and I'm not sure whether it's 100% same as in video ?

its the same method. What i am going to do tomorrow is go to a breakers yard and hopefully get hold of a couple of fobs for testing.

Maybe the receiver is duff ?

According to the ESM the receiver unit on 6th gen seems to be behind the glove compartment.

Hello I went to a couple of breakers today and managed to try two fobs.

Both wouldn't program to my car. What i did notice is that these fobs i tested all look similar to the replacement i bought from ebay.

Check this link to my one drive and you will see what i mean. For starters the original fob that worked with my car has a different battery cover [link below]
also the chips seem different [link below]. I have highlighted the differences in red circles.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=E48E079470821FEB%21113&cid=E48E079470821FEB

I have also just noticed one has 6/8 and the other has 7/8. I don't know if that means anything?

That chip 754244 on the old board is a PIC chip (NEC) and I would think that the OMRON chip on the replacement board is the same (I can't make out the number immediately under OMRON).

There's also a SWitch (SW3) which is on the old board but not on the replacement board, so I presume that there are 3 buttons to click on the old fob and only two to click on the replacement fob ?

That might be why D2 is missing on the replacement board.

I'm beginning to think that the receiver is kaput .

I can't find any info on that chip.

But those board numbers 6/8 and 7/8 may be significant in that it's not just the missing SWitch that's significant. It is possible that the frequency is different, there are 69 channels in the 433 MHz ISM band.

Also was the ebay seller in the US , because US uses 315MHz band instead.

Finally, and this is very unlikely, there may be interference, maybe try the fob programming at another location (both fobs)

Hi.

I'm not sure if this will help or not and not having watched the video. From my understanding of key fobs, they are programmed once to the original car only and are therefore unable to be reprogramme to a different car/system. The only way to get a fob working is to obtain a new un-used/programmed fob and have it programmed by Honda or a auto locksmith, also in the fob there should be an additional chip about the size of a grain of rice which will be recognised by the immobiliser which is then deactivated. Once a key is programmed it will need re-pairing to the car.

All of the above is from personal experience with a Renault Laguna and advise from a auto-lock smith, however Honda key fobs may be different.

The other way is to go and have a chat with your local Honda dealer and ask for a new key, you will need your VIN or reg number and they should be able to obtain a new one for you, but you will need several hundred pounds to pay for it!!!

All of the above is from personal experience with a Renault Laguna and advise from a auto-lock smith, however Honda key fobs may be different.

smokingman said:
Hi.

I'm not sure if this will help or not and not having watched the video. From my understanding of key fobs, they are programmed once to the original car only and are therefore unable to be reprogramme to a different car/system. The only way to get a fob working is to obtain a new un-used/programmed fob and have it programmed by Honda or a auto locksmith, also in the fob there should be an additional chip about the size of a grain of rice which will be recognised by the immobiliser which is then deactivated. Once a key is programmed it will need re-pairing to the car.

The other way is to go and have a chat with your local Honda dealer and ask for a new key, you will need your VIN or reg number and they should be able to obtain a new one for you, but you will need several hundred pounds to pay for it!!!

Yes this is true but for the transponder or RFID chip in the key, which is responsible for the engine immobiliser.

The OP is talking about the remote locking transmitter. These can be programmed to any car as long as
1. you have the transponder key in the ignition
2. the frequency band is correct
3. the "Manchester" code in the transmitter is correct for the make of car
4. the re-programme sequence is correct (usually by turning the ignition on and off in a sequence) which deletes the stored transmitter codes and allows new ones to be added

Other than that there is no complexity involved.

edit:
here is the key from my 7th gen

IMAG0390.jpg

The transponder or RFID chip is in the plastic part that is attached to the metal key

The transmitter is in the part with the buttons, those transmitters can be swapped and reprogrammed to any car (meeting the criteria 1 to 4 above)

Tthe battery is in the transmitter part, and if that goes flat it does not matter because the car still has the code stored and a new battery will just make the transmitter carry on sending its own code.

Note that in the 6th gen the fob and key/transponder are separate, whereas in the 7th gen they are combined (as in the picture when re-***embled)

Hello freddofrog,

I have ordered another fob that is the same as mine with the same numbers everywhere. I will get back to you when i get it and try to program it.

Sounds good keep us posted

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Hello!!!!

Its good to come back with some great news the fob i ordered which is of the old type is working great!!!! :) :)

I followed the instructions for programming and no issue at all.

So for anyone out there who has a 98-02 accord and you have a problem programming a replacement fob. It might be worth trying the old style. It has a darker green PCB, lots of numbers on the battery cover.
I will leave the photos on my OneDrive for ref so anyone can compare the two fob types.

I don't know if this played a role but the numbers on my old fobs PIC chip are "754244" and i made sure the numbers on the replacement was the same.

I figured out how to install the Honda ESM for everyone :) and i have also figured out the fob problem aren't I good aye, only been on the forum two weeks , someone owes me a beer :D