What's new

Throttle body & PCV Valve clean

StuH

Members
Reaction score
Car
Superb Estate 3.6 V6
Decided to have a look at the PVC valve yesterday. It's done 122k and as you can imagine it was a bit dirty in there so gave it a good clean with throttle body cleaner. Whilst I was in there I popped of the air intake to have a peek inside the throttle body and found a nice crusty build up around the butterfly valve. Ideal would be to take the TB off to clean it but I've limited time so just went in with a clean cloth and throttle body cleaner. Another really simple job.

Results are very impressive; idles bang on 650+/- 10, revs better, acceleration is better but the biggest improvement has been how much quieter the engine is. Well worth doing.

Yes it is worth doing while I had throttle body out I did map sensor, maf sensor and accelerator position sensors made a massive difference car drives smoother

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

The list of things to do on my car keeps growing , top of the list though is to check the chain tensioner

freddofrog said:
The list of things to do on my car keeps growing , top of the list though is to check the chain tensioner
Yes I need to measure mine too

No, no guide on checking the cam-chain tensioner on either the petrol or diesel.

As far as I can tell, remove the tensioner cover, take out the tensioner, and look at the amount of slack in the tensioner and the chain.

Although hydraulically driven, there is also an internal tensioner spring for periods when the oil pressure is low (starting, hot idling, stalling, etc). I believe one of the problems is when the spring wears and so chain tension becomes inadequate at those low oil pressure moments, allowing the chain to jump sprocket teeth.

Jon_G said:
Although hydraulically driven, there is also an internal tensioner spring for periods when the oil pressure is low (starting, hot idling, stalling, etc). I believe one of the problems is when the spring wears and so chain tension becomes inadequate at those low oil pressure moments, allowing the chain to jump sprocket teeth.
Very well said [emoji106] [emoji106]

Decided to have a look at the PVC valve yesterday. It's done 122k and as you can imagine it was a bit dirty in there so gave it a good clean with throttle body cleaner. Whilst I was in there I popped of the air intake to have a peek inside the throttle body and found a nice crusty build up around the butterfly valve. Ideal would be to take the TB off to clean it but I've limited time so just went in with a clean cloth and throttle body cleaner. Another really simple job.

Results are very impressive; idles bang on 650+/- 10, revs better, acceleration is better but the biggest improvement has been how much quieter the engine is. Well worth doing.

Hi,
Could you guys please let me know where to find this PCV valve in 2.2idtec accord ‘09?
Thanks

Totally different setup mate. The throttle body on your engine is at the rear and not a simple task to remove and it doesn’t have a PCV valve. Best way to ensure it’s clean is to have the egr blanked off and that will ensure it’s only breathing clean boosted air.

Totally different setup mate. The throttle body on your engine is at the rear and not a simple task to remove and it doesn’t have a PCV valve. Best way to ensure it’s clean is to have the egr blanked off and that will ensure it’s only breathing clean boosted air.
Hi,
Funny you mention that. I just got some issues with egr pipe (exhausts fumes in the car) and I was thinking if valve is blanked will it finally stop this smell in cabin?

Yep your Egr bypss pipe will be cracked, a very common issue. Drop me a line if you want some options for a solution