What's new

Fob stopped working, alarm won't shut up!

elipton

Members
Reaction score
Car
Ford Cougar V6
Oh my god I've developed such a hatred for this car's dumb security system.

So our fob stopped working, and because we have the SE, the ultrasonic system is triggering the alarm non-stop. Unlocking the doors triggers it with hazards going crazy and it doesn't stop until the engine's off and the doors are locked.

We've torn out the siren from under the battery to quieten her up, but we need to solve why the alarm keeps going off when the regular key is used. I'm happy to cut wires if I have to. Taking out the ultrasonic box doesn't work. Is there a way to remove it and the alarm system completely?

Please someone, help us!

On the 7th gen, the reason why this issue occurs is usually because the battery in the siren is on its way out and so it doesn't read the "alarm cleared" logic from the MICU and ultrasonic. If you've taken out the siren, I don't understand why you need to do more to the rest of the car.

The hazards are still activating every time we get in or start the car :(

AFAIK that doesn't happen on the 7th gen

I've had a look in the 6th gen ESM and there are two "security relays" somewhere near to the under-dash fuse-box on the passenger side, one will turn on the hazard warning lights, if you find it and remove it then they should stop. But the fault itself could be due to a dodgy earth somewhere.

If you want the 6th gen ESM see this --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23470-electronic-service-manual/

had similar issue

FOB Battery went bad on a sunday and needed to get home, I disconnected the siren from the boot driver side, after replacing the battery of the remote you need to drive the car for approx 3 minutes to charge the battery of the alarm, (you need to drive as if you leave the car idle it will not stop) and then stopped.

if it is still on there is a possibility of a faulty alarm battery.

I had a look in the 6th gen ESM and turns out that the 6th gen is totally different from 7th gen ;)