What's new

Lag in acceleration

DJSR

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i CTDI
Hi all,

Getting the above problem, again, havent changed the fuel filter recently, is this the most common cause usually? I know it could be a number of things, but not getting any engine error lights all seems clear. Its funny, because after fahad done my remap, the lag stopped, and now its back again. thanks in advance.

Serg.

As first change the feul filter as you already mentioned.
Check if the VNT is not sticking or blocked in one position and check the intake manifold if you did not blocked the EGR when remaped

Jan Accord said:
As first change the feul filter as you already mentioned.
Check if the VNT is not sticking or blocked in one position and check the intake manifold if you did not blocked the EGR when remaped
Yep i'm about to do that mission of a job changing the fuel filter......sorry for my ignorance, but what is VNT? And yes Egr was blocked during rempap.

DJSR said:
Yep i'm about to do that mission of a job changing the fuel filter......sorry for my ignorance, but what is VNT? And yes Egr was blocked during rempap.
Please let us know how long it takes, I am considering doing same next month, even though I'm getting no issues currently.

Channel Hopper said:
Please let us know how long it takes, I am considering doing same next month, even though I'm getting no issues currently.
Your looking at least 45 mins to an hour to change the bloody thing, its in the most inconvenient place! (swears very loudly at Honda!)

DJSR said:
VNT is Variable Noozle Turbocharger.
The fastest and most efective way to unerstand how it works is youtube.

Jan Accord said:
VNT is Variable Noozle Turbocharger.
The fastest and most efective way to unerstand how it works is youtube.
I've just had a new recon-turbocharger fitted.

If a dirty fuel filter was restricting the flow you'd be getting the engine MIL coming on and stored error codes P1065 and/or P0087 (and the glowplug light would flash on while the engine was struggling). But if you really want to change it then get the OEM part (Made by Denso on your FL model).

Did this only start happening when your new turbo was fitted? I'm thinking loose boost pipe connections or the boost actuator incorrectly set.

DJSR said:
Are you anywhere near the south East of England? If so, any objection to me turning up and doing it with you on my car side by side?

Economic said:
Are you anywhere near the south East of England? If so, any objection to me turning up and doing it with you on my car side by side?
Your models have very different fuel filters, by the way. The part on your pre-facelift model should be made by Bosch.

DJSR is in Barnet.

Jon_G said:
Your models have very different fuel filters, by the way. The part on your pre-facelift model should be made by Bosch.

DJSR is in Barnet.
You're right. I was on mobile and didn't realise this was a 2008 version. Thanks anyway.

Sorry to hijack but about to start a new thread with a similar topic.

Over the last few months noticed what I would describe as turbo lag where the turbo seems to be taking longer to spin up and provide the required boost.

Noticed it a lot when in cruise control and coming to a hill where the speed drops and then the cruise starts to open the throttle but no speed response until suddenly the boost kicks in and the car surges forward.

No error codes or dash faults.

Is a fuel filter change worth doing as a starting point? Not been done since I bought the car.

Like I said a while back in post #8, fuel filter issues show as DTCs and an accompanying engine warning light. As long as it's the OEM part (Bosch, part number ending in 442) then I'd not bother changing it, although it'd be worth draining it to remove any water build-up (there is a valve underneath the filter for doing this).

Your problem sounds like it could be the EGR valve failing to close sometimes?

Jon_G said:
Like I said a while back in post #8, fuel filter issues show as DTCs and an accompanying engine warning light. As long as it's the OEM part (Bosch, part number ending in 442) then I'd not bother changing it, although it'd be worth draining it to remove any water build-up (there is a valve underneath the filter for doing this).

Your problem sounds like it could be the EGR valve failing to close sometimes?
EGR issues were my second thoughts and was thinking about getting it re-mapped to remove it.

Needs to be checked but yes sounds like egr issues starting to manifest.

Grayedout said:
EGR issues were my second thoughts and was thinking about getting it re-mapped to remove it.
I suggest you prove that the problem is the EGR valve before getting a remap, or things will become very complicated! You can physically blank the EGR yourself using, say, a cut up Coke can... you'll get the engine warning light but at least you can see if doing this restores performance. Or remove the EGR valve and properly test it, here again is Jayok's vidclip...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgFY10NgMtk