• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Name:Serg
  • Car :Accord 2.2i CTDI
  • LocationBarnet

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

Hi again,

i want to get my accords engine fully checked to make sure its working at 100%, other than Honda, wheres the best place to get a full diagnostic check up? I'm in London btw.

Honda Accord 2.2i CTDI Saloon - 2008 Reg - Black Colour (What a Monster!)

#2 freddofrog

freddofrog

Ungentem pungit, pungentem rusticus ungit

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,146 posts
  • Name:Freddo
  • Car :CM2 pre-facelift
  • LocationNLD triangle

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

you could start by just reading the codes on the OBD2 port

see here for info on OBD2 readers  --> http://typeaccord.co...bd2-scs-absvsa/

sent from my Nokia 6110 using squawktalk

#3 DJSR

DJSR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationBarnet

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

you could start by just reading the codes on the OBD2 port

see here for info on OBD2 readers  --> http://typeaccord.co...bd2-scs-absvsa/

nice one, thanks Brian.

#4 DJSR

DJSR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationBarnet

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:52 PM

When i say i want a fully professional diagnostic, i want the whole lot checked, engine, turbo ect ect.... is all working at its full capacity. Will the OBD2 reader do all these? I just had a gander, but obviously i'm no mechanic and would need the car plugged into a system capable of checking everything. Is this possible and if so where can i get it done?

#5 Jon_G

Jon_G

No refunds given

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts
  • Name:Jon
  • Car :2005 Tourer i-CTDi
  • LocationNr Ludlow, Shropshire

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:04 PM

Go somewhere that has a Honda Diagnostic System (doesn't have to be a Honda garage). That can test the engine subsystems by running them through their paces and reporting the results.

Quite a few TA members have an HDS, including some in London. Maybe one could help you out if you went round to see them and made a small contribution?

#6 freddofrog

freddofrog

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,146 posts
  • LocationNLD triangle

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

When i say i want a fully professional diagnostic, i want the whole lot checked, engine, turbo ect ect.... is all working at its full capacity. Will the OBD2 reader do all these? I just had a gander, but obviously i'm no mechanic and would need the car plugged into a system capable of checking everything. Is this possible and if so where can i get it done?

HDS isn't a miracle machine (I've got one myself), and although it is required for some service procedures,  the main advantage of HDS is that it reads all the ECU's in the car. 

If you want to read and store real-time engine data, HDS will also do that, but so will any OBD2 reader with the right software. Any garage can do this, or get your own OBD2 reader.  

At the end of the day, wherever you take the car, and whatever they use, you're still down to the vagaries of the person looking at the car. It's same as going to a GP, some GP's are better than others, and no miracle machine will help a bad GP to improve.

Edited by freddofrog, 29 June 2017 - 07:40 PM.

#7 Jon_G

Jon_G

No refunds given

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:00 AM

But HDS does have the ability to run interactive, target-settng diagnostic routines, as well as passively reading fault codes. Isn't that the main advantage (and what the OP appears to require)?

However I agree with the GP analogy. It takes an experienced operator to actually pinpoint the reason for any failures.

#8 f2raf

f2raf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Name:Imran
  • Car :Honda Accord
  • LocationRochdale

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:17 AM

Does anyone have a link for an OBD2 reader from ebay and android app to use with. I did purchase that cheap blue one on ebay but it didn't work on my 05 7gen tourer diesel.

:)

#9 Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car :Accord 7 Estate 2005
  • LocationKT8 Postcode

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:19 AM

Does anyone have a link for an OBD2 reader from ebay and android app to use with. I did purchase that cheap blue one on ebay but it didn't work on my 05 7gen tourer diesel.

Not eBay but I got this one from Amazon a couple of months ago.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wifi as opposed to Bluetooth which really makes no difference to me, and came bundled with a link to the OBD Car Doctor app which in basic form cannot store anything, but does allow realtime running conditions - dynamic parameters -  to be read straight from the screen,

Check the reviews, it did everything I required (as far as engine work), and clearing down codes. Not bad for £17 delivered either, but having also mastered the paperclip method is it infinitely more expensive for the same job, however this one gives you something to play with on the iPad or tablet whilst driving around, though obviously only on a private track of course.

• freddofrog and f2raf like this

#10 freddofrog

freddofrog

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,146 posts
  • LocationNLD triangle

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

^ looks very good, on an engine you won't need an HDS with something like that.

#11 DJSR

DJSR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationBarnet

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

As mentioned, i would prefer to take it to someone with experience, preferably a professional, but if a experienced member from here happens to live in London, i would happily contribute.

#12 freddofrog

freddofrog

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,146 posts
  • LocationNLD triangle

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

tbh with something like this, except for 3 forum members on TA, there aren't any other forum members on TA or any other UK Accord forum with sufficient experience on diesels, and the first thing they'd do is check for codes.

The 3 members are (in no particular order)

1. Goodluckmonkey (Kent)

2. Jon_G (Shropshire)

3. Fahad (Yorkshire)

#13 Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationKT8 Postcode

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

tbh with something like this, except for 3 forum members on TA, there aren't any other forum members on TA or any other UK Accord forum with sufficient experience on diesels, and the first thing they'd do is check for codes.

The 3 members are (in no particular order)

1. Goodluckmonkey (Kent)

2. Jon_G (Shropshire)

3. Fahad (Yorkshire)

Option 1) is currently out of action as I am about to post his HDS unit back to Kent.

I could never get the software to work here.

Btw I ended up with a momentary lack of power when accelerating out of a right hand turn earlier. Very momentary.

After connecting the OBD scanner mentioned I ended up finding a P0201 fault mentioned on the iPod, which the Car Doctor app suggests is 'Injector circuit/ open'.

I cant tell if this is a left over from last week when I replaced the seal on No4 injector, but I cleared it down anyway.

#14 Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationKT8 Postcode

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

What the app looks like in an iPod 6pXxoA0Y.jpg9maJfOL.jpgbl4Q5oN.jpg

• freddofrog likes this

#15 freddofrog

freddofrog

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,146 posts
  • LocationNLD triangle

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:28 PM

Better than an HDS ;)

#16 f2raf

f2raf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationRochdale

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

Thank you for this, now ive found the same one on Ebay, its £14.99 for the Wifi one or they do a bluetooth one for £12.99 Or make an offer. my offer of £10 has been accepted.  I messaged him to find out what the difference is between the two, he said the wifi is best for laptop/ipad/iphone and the bluetooth best for Android.  As i have an android it should be perfect.  What app do you recommend to use with it. 

http://www.ebay.co.u...utorefresh=true

Not eBay but I got this one from Amazon a couple of months ago.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wifi as opposed to Bluetooth which really makes no difference to me, and came bundled with a link to the OBD Car Doctor app which in basic form cannot store anything, but does allow realtime running conditions - dynamic parameters -  to be read straight from the screen,

Check the reviews, it did everything I required (as far as engine work), and clearing down codes. Not bad for £17 delivered either, but having also mastered the paperclip method is it infinitely more expensive for the same job, however this one gives you something to play with on the iPad or tablet whilst driving around, though obviously only on a private track of course.

Edited by f2raf, 04 July 2017 - 10:37 AM.

#17 Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationKT8 Postcode

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

Car Doctor, as per the images works well, and I briefly checked the real time engine graphs, they work, but I'm not likely to use them.

The wifi version works on both Galaxy mobile and iPod, I can't tell any real deficiency in the Android operation, but using the Apple saves me from dropping a call , or getting car type dirt on/in the works mobile

#18 f2raf

f2raf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationRochdale

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:18 AM

https://drive.google...Rzd5aVd5S1lVTzA

Device arrived today. £10 delivered, easy plug & play with OBD car Doctor as suggested.  I have attached a link to images, I have some codes in it already which I have cleared, please see attched and any advice appreciated as I dont have a clue what they are about.

if it helps my car has stage 2 remap and physical EGR blank off & delete by Fahad.

The car runs fine, no running issues, EML only ever came on once 6 months ago and went to limp mode after i had over excessively unnecessarily floored it joining mway, was fine after swithing engine off and waiting a while, but never happened again. MPG good all good.  Ive cleared codes, so will rescan in a few days to see if any reappear.

Thanks

Edited by f2raf, 07 July 2017 - 11:36 AM.

#19 f2raf

f2raf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationRochdale

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

http://www.ebay.co.u...872.m2749.l2649

link to tool, £10 offer accepted for those interested. works fine on 2005 7 gen 2.2 tourer

#20 Jon_G

Jon_G

No refunds given

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

Best to delete whatever is stored and then see what comes back. Can that device be used to run diagnostic routines? It looks like a dumb reader.

Edited by Jon_G, 07 July 2017 - 11:42 AM.