What's new

Diesel problems

longshanks1

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord icdti
In nov/dec of this year I had a major problem with my engine , it had only done 50k when it started clanking and banging then stopped , turns out it had put a rod through the block ,the engine had plenty of oil , it was only doing about 5mph when it started , to cut a long story short , I had a low mileage engine fitted but there was a distinctive diesel fume smell , which I thought was contamination of the exhaust , it hasn't dissipated ,and an now going to check the injectors for leakage , I have checked the exhaust , that seems fine , could you please tell me what I need to remove the injectors , what make are the injectors , and what is the procedure for refitting if I have to do the job myself , also I saw somewhere somebody saying don't buy the washers off ebay , which I have done , any help would be appreciated , my vehicle is a 7th gen Honda Accord icdti 2.2 litre .

If your injectors are leaking you should be able to tell from visible signs of residue around the injectors. Give the area a good clean and make sure it's thoroughly dry and then run the engine for a few days and then check if there is any signs of diesel around the rocker cover where the injectors are seated.

If it's not the injectors then likely a cracked manifold or leaking gasket.

Have you checked the fuel filter area for a potential leak. It is under the windscreen and hidden rather well by Honda, but I would suspect this area before looking at the top of the engine since the cabin is just the other side of the bulkhead.

The exhaust manifold blowing and leaking injector gaskets are well-reported problems for the 2.2 i-CTDi. As Fahad says, injector gaskets are pretty obvious to check, but the manifold can be a subtle problem... Best to check with the bonnet open while cold starting is performed by an ***istant. Black smoke rising up from the rear of the engine will be the giveaway (the heatshield obscures the problem). Incidentally, the number of bolts on the heatshield is a useful tell-tale for whether the exhaust manifold has been upgraded to the later single-piece version which is practically immune to cracking. Two bolts indicates the later part, while three bolts indicates the original two-piece/welded part prone to cracking.

Removing our diesel injectors can be a battle, but I was lucky (see post #7)... http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/17379-diesel-injector-removal/#entry191037

Refitting needs to be done with care to ensure the gasket provides a proper seal. I was lucky that the seats did not need recutting (see post #67)... http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/4542-injector-issues/page-4#entry195858

I wouldn't remove any injectors unless I was sure there was a leak. It's a job that can easily become a nightmare if you get unlucky with a stuck injector, the clamp bolts commonly shear off (requiring a helicoil insert) plus injectors are easily damaged. Replacement injectors are expensive and need to be coded to the ECU (not urgently, but for optimum performance).

I know some of you have said there is a problem , with some inlet manifold apart from the two bolts holding the heat shield is there anything else . ,many thanks .

Never heard of an inlet manifold problem, although a few members have removed their's to clean out the coke build-up. Mines not too bad, even at 180k miles.

Steam-cleaning under the bonnet and driving around for an hour or so would show up issues on either side of the block.