What's new

2.2 i-dtec mpg

Aid

Members
Reaction score
Car
Toyota
I have been thinking a lot lately of changing my Avensis (petrol) to an Accord (diesel) probably the es gt. I would love to know what sort of mpg you guys/gals are getting in real life driving. I know there is a lot of different driving styles that effect this, mine is normally 50/60 mph on A roads try to avoid motorways as much as possible. I would do between 300&400 miles a week.

Forgot to mention that it will be a manual car. :)

if you're as careful as edgeoftime you might only get 40 ;) .
If you're as careful as me you'll get 50+ (averaged over 35000 miles of ownership with the odometer and forecourt receipts)

Thanks for the reply's :). One other question when/if :) you pull the pdf out does it improve the mpg by much.

Aid said:
Thanks for the reply's :). One other question when/if :) you pull the pdf out does it improve the mpg by much.
I'm sure you don't really mean Portable Document Format LOL

DPF removal would improve mpg by a measurable amount.

^Lol that's what you get for posting too early in the morning, yep meant dpf ;).

I suppose it would stand to reason that it should improve the mpg. I wonder how much of an improvement it would make. I don't have a car with it, though I have a few mates that have but they wouldn't even consider taking it out.

I suspect that most people don't contemplate having the dpf removed until the light keeps coming on and they have to keep taking the car to a dealer for a "forced regeneration". It's only at that point that the dealer-cost of a new one vs somewhat lower cost of having it removed, will prey on the owner's thoughts.

Matt said:
if you're as careful as edgeoftime you might only get 40 ;) .
If you're as careful as me you'll get 50+ (averaged over 35000 miles of ownership with the odometer and forecourt receipts)
See what I mean about being CAREFUL, if I had to worry about receipts and miles I would get rid of the car! One thing you can be sure of is that every mile will be a total pleasure.

edgeoftime said:
If you have to worry about fuel use then you cannot afford one, get a Honda 50, I understand they are good on fuel.
weekly shop is a bit limited

motorcycle-carrying-cargo-1771.jpg

edgeoftime said:
See what I mean about being CAREFUL, if I had to worry about receipts and miles I would get rid of the car! One thing you can be sure of is that every mile will be a total pleasure.
only if other road users know you're on your way :lol:

I don't seem to be able to quote post for some reason, but @Edgeoftime asking questions doesn't mean that you can/can't afford or worry about things. Maybe you like to jump into things blindly, but for me I like to find out about things as much as possible.

I suppose it never occurred to you that maybe Matt likes to know how his car is preforming each week.

Aid said:
I don't seem to be able to quote post for some reason, but @Edgeoftime asking questions doesn't mean that you can/can't afford or worry about things. Maybe you like to jump into things blindly, but for me I like to find out about things as much as possible.

I suppose it never occurred to you that maybe Matt likes to know how his car is preforming each week.
Do not take it to heart Aid, you need to read between the lines to get to know me. You asked about a IDTEC? mATT ANSWERED re a icdti, I think. and yes they are better on fuel had one but now got a Idtec, completely different animal, Keep looking you may find one before the government bans them all together. PS keep smiling.

Mine needs to perform on a daily basis

don't just take my word for it!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/accord/reliability

Is there a significant difference between the i-CDTI and i-DTEC motors in terms of economy then?

I looked at 8th gen Tourers back in 2011 because they're a beautiful looking car. My 7th Gen is just a cheap hack, but still have a bit of a twitch when i see an 8th. The want is still there.

I get slightly more from my 8th gen (the 50+ quoted above, actually it's closer to 53) compared to my 7th (I don't have the figures to hand, but my retentive post about 7th ownership is around somewhere) but I put the difference down to the extra gear in the 8th (5 speed 7th gen) rather than the engine revision.

Incidentally, cost isn't my motive for checking my receipts, it's so when people ask about mpg I can give genuine real world figures.

my 7th did 50+ constantly, manual tourer, no matter how I drove it. the 8th auto tourer does 40 ish driven the same way. Extra fuel is due to auto box? but as I have said before who cares.? Miss Daisy has given me the sack.

Hi.
Accord tourer 2.2 iDtec manual.

640 mile and 58 ltrs of diesel equals just over 50mpg. That was mainly motor way and A class roads with some country roads two adults and some luggage and not driving like miss Daisy.

Matt said:
I get slightly more from my 8th gen (the 50+ quoted above, actually it's closer to 53) compared to my 7th (I don't have the figures to hand, but my retentive post about 7th ownership is around somewhere) but I put the difference down to the extra gear in the 8th (5 speed 7th gen) rather than the engine revision.

Incidentally, cost isn't my motive for checking my receipts, it's so when people ask about mpg I can give genuine real world figures.
My PFL 7th tourer is currently at 41.4mpg over 28k miles.

Same deal here though. I've always loģged things out of curiosity and as a health check. Would hardly call myself a hypermiler.

I live in the land of speed humps, it tows, does mostly local trips these days, and generally just gets a beating.

Managed 58mpg on a long motorway journey once, but that's not really what it gets used for anymore.

Channel Hopper said:
Then you're not doing it right

motordupe46.jpg

bb2.jpg
e53a9b001000579ef86501027949f92a--moving-photos-cargo.jpg
aye but none of those is a Honda 50, edgeoftime said "get a Honda 50, I understand they are good on fuel", so I stuck to a clear example of that specific bike :p

not enough of #2 visible to be able to say what it is, and #1 looks like it's reached the zone of zero mpg