What's new

DIY Howto - Replace Evaporator and/or Expansion Valve

ErikV

Members
Reaction score
Car
'10 Accord CU1
Hi,

My aircon is blowing hot air from the start. I finally got around to replace the bits of the aircon that don't work. I started with the compressor (clutch was slipping due to wear). This was relatively straightforward.

I've pinpointed this problem (after checking sensors, pressures and temperatures of the lines) to the next likely suspect, the evaporator core and the main culprit : its expansion valve. Honda has placed this valve inside the firewall, so this will require some work.

Fortunately I found an example for the US version of the Accord, which is 99% correct for the EU spec Accord :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ftwfxp0_Qg

This is much less work than completely removing the dashboard! I will be doing this in a few days...

Not heard of problems with the evaporator/expansion valve,are you sure it's not just a perished condenser

Have you checked the condensor and/or it's fittings? Pretty sure that's the common culprit so far as leaks are concerned.

Freddofrog is our resident expert in these matters.

There is no leak, hadn't touched it for over 2 years and still several bar of pressure. It must be blockage in dryer or expired condensor, there's nothing left to replace haha.

It would be good to know what you did to check the air con system in the first place that led to the expansion valve, electrical and the mechanical moving parts.

A perished condenser doesn't necessarily leak, and a leaking condenser isn't necessarily perished.

"Perished" basically means that the cooling fins are detaching from the grid of piping that carries the liquefied gas, so the condenser has become inefficient at removing the heat in the air-stream.

mr freddo have heard you are the ac master expert :)

I've replaced the condensor and dryer, still the air wasn't that cold. So, we flushed the system 3 times, seems like there was a lot of crap in there (aircon hasn't worked since I bought the car).

After all the junk was flushed, we filled up the system again. And voila, 1.6C temp from the vents. Cold as can be.

Thanks for helping, guys.

Original diagnosis of the expansion valve was done by a mechanic friend of mine, but wasn't the cause. Still, aircon has been completely serviced now. The compressor and condensor/dryer were in a less than ideal state so needed replacement anyway. :)

ErikV said:
I've replaced the condensor and dryer, still the air wasn't that cold. So, we flushed the system 3 times, seems like there was a lot of ***** in there (aircon hasn't worked since I bought the car).

After all the junk was flushed, we filled up the system again. And voila, 1.6C temp from the vents. Cold as can be.

Thanks for helping, guys.
Original diagnosis of the expansion valve was done by a mechanic friend of mine, but wasn't the cause. Still, aircon has been completely serviced now. The compressor and condensor/dryer were in a less than ideal state so needed replacement anyway. :)
that is excellent news, and that bit about having to flush out the system is another thing for us to bear in mind in the future.

how was it flushed out ?

I'm not an expert (did not do flushing myself), but it was a special device with bottles which used a slightly higher pressure and a different gas I believe. I only did the mechanical work :p