What's new

Horses for courses?

apintofmild

Members
Reaction score
Car
Golf GTD
Diesel are made to be driven harsh at times, not for the faint hearted.
8mile trip is nothing for diesel. Car is probably switched off by the time it gets to the optimal temperature.
I agree with Honda. She should have went for petrol in my opinion.

Never been a fan of diesels petrol engine have issues diesel are just a disaster with this dpf crap

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Sounds like the sales guy was more interested in taking their money than advising on a more "suitable" model. Seen it time and time again and watched the sales staff laugh about it over a cup of tea in the staff room.
Could have made almost the same profit if they'd just advised her to buy the 2.0 vtec

honda_saj said:
Never been a fan of diesels petrol engine have issues diesel are just a disaster with this dpf *****

Come on, you know you are a fan of diesel deep down [emoji13]

No all ways been a petrol head

That article in #1 made me smile because the article refers to the DPF as a "fuel filter", and, they imply that a diesel with DPF needs to be driven on a motorway. ....not so, it just needs time to get fully warmed up and driven at 40 to 50mph along an A road for 10 minutes.

But yeah, Honda dealers are no different than any other dealer, they just want your money. The only difference is that Honda dealers are always very nice and polite, they would have been selling snake-oil in the US in the 19th century.

snake-oil.jpg

freddofrog said:
That article in #1 made me smile because the article refers to the DPF as a "fuel filter", and, they imply that a diesel with DPF needs to be driven on a motorway. ....not so, it just needs time to get fully warmed up and driven at 40 to 50mph along an A road for 10 minutes.

But yeah, Honda dealers are no different than any other dealer, they just want your money. The only difference is that Honda dealers are always very nice and polite, they would have been selling snake-oil in the US in the 19th century.

snake-oil.jpg
Feeling smug with my purchase, where in the 8th gen has Honda put the reservoir ?

She may have been one of them people who simply can't be discouraged from buying/financing a diesel.

The amount of people who will only buy diesel because they've had them for years is enormous and no matter how much warning of the effects short distance driving can have on a modern diesel, they still want one because they think they are saving money. More fool them.

Don't know why she's moaning, it's not even her car. It's on a PCP and belongs to the lender.

Probably wanted a diesel to save a tenner a month on fuel because she's loaded herself up with nearly £400 a month worth of finance.

with the internet at your hands you still believe the salesman and buy a diesel personally never liked the clatter that diesel engines make.

Totally agree Saj.

When I did 100 motorway miles a day for work, I bought a diesel.
When the wife wanted a car to do 10 miles a day locally, she got a petrol.

Buy the correct tool for the job.

honda_saj said:
with the internet at your hands you still believe the salesman and buy a diesel personally never liked the clatter that diesel engines make.
As I said, most people walk in to a showroom insist on a diesel and won't consider a petrol despite any advice that is offered. Usually they're the ones who bleat about costly DPF repairs that are caused by their own driving style.

Diesels are for penny pitching tight arses anyway. So 'm glad they have expensive repairs every so often lol.

Spot on. Everyone's so convinced that diesels the answer that they don't consider the alternative.
The salesman doesn't care, he just wants to meet his target, and he knows if they don't buy a diesel from him, they'll go up the road and buy it from someone else.

Very true facts

honda_saj said:
It's a purring sound.

I also purr when I contemplate how much money I've saved during the 100k miles I've covered in my diesel Accord.

Jon_G said:
It's a purring sound.

I also purr when I contemplate how much money I've saved during the 100k miles I've covered in my diesel Accord.
I bet you weren't purring when you were replacing the chains on that German based ponderous lump

I'm not a diesel lover, but after two years, it's more than paid for itself and all the parts it's had, in the fuel savings over a petrol.

Appropriate vehicle for the job because I needed a motorway mile muncher.

I'd it got hit by a meteor to ight I wouldn't be to bothered though, as i only do local trips now. Fortunately the EGR off map and lack of DPF mean I'm no worse off than I would be in a petrol in the same situation.

Our K20 powered FRV is a much nicer drive round town though. Far more flexible and refined.

I presume that drivers of diesel cars that put out NOx and particulates just don't believe the info on deaths due to those emissions

diesel_damaged_lungs.jpg

And that would've had something like £11k down on it!!!

Freddo, we've always known diesels are carcinogenic, but the nox (usually) comes out the back, and i couldnt refuse the couple of hundred quid saved every month.

StuH said:
Sorry, I've got stuck on the £398 a month plus £15,758 balloon payment :blink:
you missed this famous quote

“They checked the car’s computer which indicated I had not averaged over 20mph. It’s ridiculous.”

trailers-33920429-e1437588659751.jpg

Goodluckmonkey said:
but the nox (usually) comes out the back, and i couldnt refuse the couple of hundred quid saved every month.
that's the whole point

freddofrog said:
I presume that drivers of diesel cars that put out NOx and particulates just don't believe the info on deaths due to those emissions

diesel_damaged_lungs.jpg
All my previous diesels would happily run on SVO which is why I moved away from petrol. Its the manufacturer that chose to pursue deathstick design

Channel Hopper said:
All my previous diesels would happily run on about which is why I moved away from petrol. Its the manufacturer that chose to pursue deathstick design
I'm out of "likes" btw, I have been all day :(

Anyway, historically, it's definitely not the diesel buyer's responsibility in the first place, but the VW diesel scandal raised the issue of diesel car emissions right up into mainstream media. Now that everyone knows about the issue, owners of diesel cars that do not meet Euro 6 standards should feel quite guilty when they say that they've saved money. They may claim that they did not know, so their "social cost" (aka "externality" in economics) can be set to one side historically, but now that they know they ought to be more circumspect in saying "I saved money".

Furthermore, by continuing to use the car and still saying that they're saving money, is like a phone cold-call company that continues to cold-call, saying that if they cease they will put their employees out of work.

The main issue is that European governments saw the diesel car as a way to meet CO2 reduction targets, and as the NOX issue started to be raised, they were slow in introducing standards that the manufacturers had to comply with. Euro 6 should have been implemented 10 years ago.

So if a car buyer wants to have an IC engine with low CO2 emissions, they should buy a diesel car that meets Euro 6 and be prepared to meet the extra costs of AdBlue and DPF renewal.

That's some epic trolling!

Let's not forget that emissions from petrol cars are also toxic, carcinogenic and add to global warming... There is no moral high ground!

Jon_G said:
That's some epic trolling!
surely the "I saved money" (without acknowledging the bigger contribution to deaths) is more like the action of a Troll

Jon_G said:
Let's not forget that emissions from petrol cars are also toxic, carcinogenic and add to global warming... There is no moral high ground!
pre-Euro 6 petrol cars are nothing like as bad as pre-Euro 6 diesel cars

Euro 6 puts both types of IC engine on an equal footing