What's new

2004 Drivers door lock jammed/stuck/not working

tonedepear

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 Accord
Hello!

Hope this is in the right place! Apologies if not...

First of all, SO SORRY for my first post on here to be a whiny help request, I signed up a few days back and have just picked up my first Accord (I have an old EU Civic at home, but this is my first Accord), a 2004 model 2.0 SE. It's unremarkable apart from it was very cheap and I was expecting to have to sort some stuff out, but job one, it turns out, is that the drivers door won't lock.

A bit of detail, some of which may be relevant and some not but I don't know yet as I'm at work having picked it up on my lunch break and it's sat in the car park. Initially when I went out to the car the remote wasn't working (but the car was unlocked so I wasn't worried) I managed to fix this by syncing it or whatever (ignition on, press button, ignition off, ignition on, press, etc) so that was good and both fobs are working fine now as far as 3 our of 4 doors go. However, the driver's door won't lock at all. Not with the key (I managed to get the key to go in, but that was a battle) and it won't turn left or right at all. From the inside, the locking button on the door works the other 3 doors fine, and I can hear the drivers' door trying, but no actual movement of the pin or locking of the door. The door pin, I can't push down. I've basically leant on it with no success, door open or closed.

I haven't had chance to take the door card off (hopefully it's not too much of a pain to do? I did the civic the other day to replace a door mirror and that was a faff but survivable!), so it might be obvious when I look, but I'm guessing if it's making the noise then the actuator is *probably* ok and it's more likely to be the mechanical lock that's at fault? Or am I over simplifying? I guess if the lock barrel is duff I either want a full key set (£ouch) or is that not so simple either? I plan to spray lube judiciously and wiggle things and see what goes on, but is there anything else I should be testing/checking or anything else I can do? I have had a search of these forums and haven't found anything similar, possibly I'm not very good at searching, if so, apologies, but if anyone has any tips or suggestions they'd be very very welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Tony

33061597886cc02e772.64132980.jpg

Ok, I've just popped out to have another look.

1. I found an old door lock and handle in the boot that the keys fit in, so it's not a new fault!

2. If I turn the pin anti clockwise and wiggle it a bit, everything works as it should for about 3 lock/unlocks then it sticks again. So... Rods?

Point 2 is encouraging though! (Unless it sticks in the locked position, but I can still clamber in from the passenger side unless the battery goes flat...)

I think you're doing ok as it is, it's strange that someone swapped the original

OK, I took the old lock that was in the book apart and lubed it and took out a duff pin, so that works now, although it's still in my house and not on the car. Some judicious fiddling with the bars and door pin mean the central locking works, so all is basically well.

(It's also had a new radiator since my last post - *grumble* )

Cheers. :)