What's new

Did I Imagine it ? Doubling of vehicle excise.

Channel Hopper

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 7 Estate 2005
I caught the tail end of a radio broadcast late last night and somebody phoned in to mention that the DVLA is targeting diesel cars like mine and plan to almost double road tax fees in the next month.

Can anyone verify if this is the case ?

freddofrog said:
DVLA can't do anything like that, government policy dictates the VED
Apologies for leaving myself open to pedantry.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/26/diesel-drivers-face-new-nationwide-tax-rises-help-fund-air-pollution/

DEFRA also announced that it will need to reconsider how diesel vehicles will be taxed in the future. It said: "Measures to improve air quality will therefore be funded through changes to the tax treatment for new diesel vehicles, or through reprioritisation with existing departmental budgets."

Jon_G said:
I'll have to switch to red diesel to compensate...
2ekonl4.jpg

don't drug and drive

I live at a registered agricultural property that has a currently redundant 2000L fuel tank that previously held 28-second kerosene... I could easily have it delivered. Hmm...

But what additives need to be added to bring red diesel up to the EN 590 DERV spec?

Jon_G said:
I live at a registered agricultural property that has a currently redundant 2000L fuel tank that previously held 28-second kerosene... I could easily have it delivered. Hmm...

But what additives need to be added to bring red diesel up to the EN 590 DERV spec?
indica & sativa ?

Jon_G said:

Nothing , modern constructuon machinery engines are fuel sensitive and all are fitted with DPF filters and common rail injection systems just like cars these days so red diesel is available as EN 590 off the shelf and is as sulpher free and has all the same additives as white ..just has the extra addition of some red marker dye .

edit ...our supplier .. As Komatsu and Caterpillar also specify the same as John Deer or warranty is invalid .

With manufacturers for the off-highway sector continuously improving the technologies used within agricultural machinery engines, customers are advised to ensure that the most suitable fuel sources are being used. John Deere, in particular, specify that fuel used within their engines must comply with the higher BS EN590 white road diesel fuel specification in order to guarantee performance and avoid invalidating warranties.
As a solution, Watson Fuels is proud to offer Gas Oil 590 within its comprehensive range of fuel products. Available from Watson Fuels’ delivery locations at Wisbech, Great Yarmouth, Diss, Cambridge, Stevenage, Peterborough and Braintree, Gas Oil 590 meets the same BS EN590 specifications as white road diesel and is therefore suitable for use in farm machinery without the need for fuel treatments or additives.*

freddofrog said:
I think Jon just wanted to know how to remove the red dye
No. I actually I thought that red diesel was for very basic agricultural equipment, therefore never met the requirements of EN590 and that additives were required to meet the demands of a modern diesel engine. Clearly I was wrong and red diesel is fine, so long as a brand is used that meets EN590.

I imagine that the red dye is practically impossible to remove, at least without either contaminating the fuel or leaving some trace of your criminal activity that could still see you prosecuted by the authorities.

Jon_G said:
No. I actually I thought that red diesel was for very basic agricultural equipment, therefore never met the requirements of EN590 and that additives were required to meet the demands of a modern diesel engine. Clearly I was wrong and red diesel is fine, so long as a brand is used that meets EN590.

I imagine that the red dye is practically impossible to remove, at least without either contaminating the fuel or leaving some trace of your criminal activity that could still see you prosecuted by the authorities.
ahh ok, I thought that #9 was a "coded" statement :blush: because, based on several "cops" TV programs, I have seen "white van man" occasionally being caught with red diesel in the tank

I live in a highly agricultural area, surrounded by farms, and I've heard of neighbours being stopped and their fuel tank contents checked when attending agricultural shows or farming suppliers, etc., when driving their battered pick-ups. But I've never been stopped in the Accord.

Jon_G said:
I live in a highly agricultural area, surrounded by farms, and I've heard of neighbours being stopped and their fuel tank contents checked when attending agricultural shows or farming suppliers, etc., when driving their battered pick-ups. But I've never been stopped in the Accord.
aye , but that's my point, if red diesel is ok for battered pick-ups and also for white-van-man, then why did you think it needed to be modified for road vehicles ?

Because battered vehicle will drive on anything [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

freddofrog said:
aye , but that's my point, if red diesel is ok for battered pick-ups and also for white-van-man, then why did you think it needed to be modified for road vehicles ?
I was drawing a line between loved and unloved vehicles.

I'm not sure that ALL red diesel is EN590 compliant?

Jon_G said:
I was drawing a line between loved and unloved vehicles.

I'm not sure that ALL red diesel is EN590 compliant?
It is not ALL EN590 compliant , some of it is still high in sulphur content . But that will be changing as every pretty much new peice of agricultural and construction equipment now is made euro 6 compliant and the manuf warranty requires use of EN590 . The engines in tractors and diggers these days are just as and in some cases more advanced than you find in a car . But if you order EN590 red ..you get EN590 diesel ...just has a marker dye to distinguish it .