What's new

Tourer Handbrake Shoes

Grayedout

Members
Reaction score
Does the Tourer handbrake shoes have an auto adjustment or is it taken care of with the cable adjustment?

If there is an auto setup then any guides on how it works?

No auto-adjusters on it, because it's a parking brake, not an emergency brake, so on the MOT test the required force is very low.

As it is a parking brake, there should be no wear if it's all adjusted correctly in the first place, only some cable stretch. If you're sure that the shoes on each side are correctly adjusted and were never wearing, it's only cable adjustment that's required.

Best way to check is to jack up the car at the rear so that both wheels are off the ground, and then see how free the wheels are on each side, and pull the lever one click at a time and re-check. If they start to become less free at the same point, it's only the cable that needs adjusting.

Coarse adjustment at the shoes is required before fine adjustment at the centre console, at least when replacing brake components. So long as the rear adjustment was originally performed correctly then handbrake travel can easily be adjusted from inside the car by removing the rear section of the console (the section with the ash tray) then using a deep socket (manual says 12mm, but I used a 1/2") to tighten the moving nut.

Jon_G said:
Coarse adjustment at the shoes is required before fine adjustment at the centre console, at least when replacing brake components. So long as the rear adjustment was originally performed correctly then handbrake travel can easily be adjusted from inside the car by removing the rear section of the console (the section with the ash tray) then using a deep socket (manual says 12mm, but I used a 1/2") to tighten the moving nut.
So there is adjustment on the shoes themselves? Is there a guide for this?

Jon_G said:
There's a detailed guide in the Honda eService Manual, which I followed when replacing my rear discs/drums recently. Thanks to Freddofrog, the full manual can be downloaded here... http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/19286-haynes-us-accord-workshop-manuals/page-2
I could have sworn I'd pointed that out to him before LOL

Grayedout said:
So there is adjustment on the shoes themselves? Is there a guide for this?
you only mentioned auto-adjusters, all brake shoe mechanisms have a manual adjuster

see this post by me --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/21883-rear-brake-queries/?p=230562