What's new

Tourer Rear Brakes Sticking

Grayedout

Members
Reaction score
Recently fitted new rear pads and disks to 2004 Tourer and things seemed fine for first few weeks but recently had signs of sticking from one side with lots of smoke and smells on occasions!

Stripped, greased, filed the edge of pads to ensure loose fit and taken some adjustment out of the handbrake shoes but stills seems to be there. Pushed the piston out as far as I dared and cleaned it before pushing it back.

Got the wife to press the pedal hard and then release and straight after could feel binding in the brake but if I manually pulled on the caliper then it released.

Thought it could be hose issues so had the wife do the same and then cracked the bleed nipple to release any pressure but didn't release the binding!

Quick read of some threads says the Saloon and Tourer pads are different and getting the wrong ones can cause issues.

Has anybody got pictures of the two pads so I know if I have got the correct ones or not?

Not sure about pads but to cure mine I got replacement calipers from BIG RED, and also fitted new flexibles, what happens is the flexi's break down inside and get into the back of the caliper. So rather than trying to strip the caliper exchange units were fitted.

edgeoftime said:
Not sure about pads but to cure mine I got replacement calipers from BIG RED, and also fitted new flexibles, what happens is the flexi's break down inside and get into the back of the caliper. So rather than trying to strip the caliper exchange units were fitted.

Yeah I know about the hoses hence the procedure with the bleed nipple but I won't rule it out yet.

Grayedout said:
Has anybody got pictures of the two pads so I know if I have got the correct ones or not?
click to enlarge
SANY0017%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

My 7th Gen diesel tourer rears were Nissin.

prise-.jpg

I post this mainly to test out picload's hosting service now that Photobucket has spoiled everyone's fun.

freddofrog said:
probably replaced by a previous owner of the 7th gen

what is on your 8th gen ?
Seeing as it's a nice evening I've just slid under and had a look (don't ***ume I've nothing better to do on a nice evening, but you got me wondering)

8thgenrearcaliper.jpg

Also Nissin!

I thought the split of brand was about tourer / saloon (handbrake and not) as much as engine type?

On the seconds point; I only discovered picload last night and these are literally the first things I've uploaded. I thought I'd let them sit for a while before causing a stampede on the other thread, in case the service is a bit flakey. From what I can gather they're ok for relatively low bandwidth use (I have no idea how many hits TypeAccord generates). If you start to cause a strain on their system they can throttle your throughput. Which seems fair enough.

Right, I'm off. The dishes won't wash themselves.

Matt said:
Seeing as it's a nice evening I've just slid under and had a look (don't ***ume I've nothing better to do on a nice evening, but you got me wondering)

8thgenrearcaliper.jpg

Also Nissin!

I thought the split of brand was about tourer / saloon (handbrake and not) as much as engine type?
The conclusion we'd come to was that, since the ABS/VSA unit on the diesel is ATE, the stock calipers on the diesel are ATE. A couple of people did confirm that, but it now looks random LOL

I was also having some issues with the rear caliper getting hot. The piston had very little rust and was moving freely, but refurbished it anyway, still was getting very hot afterwards.
Before changing the hoses, two things that solved it for me were:
1) the surface where the anti-rattle springs lie needs to be very very clean, especially the upper spring which puts pressure on the pads. If it's dirty, the pads are basically stuck to the disc with no movement
2) grind the nipple on the inner pad, as with time the piston will start pushing the pad unevenly and stopping power will decrease. The nipple is present on some pads, depending on the make. Ferodo puts them, don't know why.

I got so fed up with my rear brakes binding that I replaced the calipers, slider pins and hoses before fitting new Honda pads again, which cured the problem. I now strip them down and clean them once a year to make sure it doesn't happen again.