What's new

Engine sound getting louder

Phg

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.2 Ex
Hi,

I have a 2006 Honda Accord Exec (Diesel) , 2.2. Recently the engine has started getting as increased the speed once past 50mph, and it also feels like I am driving on an uneven road surface once I am past 50 mph. I commute to work 30 miles a day, mostly motorway driving, I have started noticing the last two weeks that my tyres are using more pressure than usual.

I had my service done at Honda a few backs and they stated the NSF suspension arm bush was starting spilt. I wondered whether issues are all interconnected? Or whether issue is more likely to be with the wheel bearing?

I am currently waiting on my mechanic to get back to me also.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Is the noise from the front or rear? Or do you mean engine noise? And the tyres are losing pressure? Seems like a few unconnected problems!

My front lower suspension (compliance) bushes both split and collapsed a couple of years ago but, due to work commitments, I drove for several thousand miles before replacing them without noticing any noise or shaking (just a bit of tram-lining). A Honda dealer would tend to look for any little problem, so in my opinion it would be better to ignore them and instead respond to MoT advisory comments.

Wheel bearing noise comes and goes as you switch between left and right cornering.

Is it a tourer or a saloon? How many miles has it done?

It is engine noise. The tyres don't appear to be losing pressing. The MOT advisory comments state that suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint nearside front upper

I have only noticed the noise whilst driving on the motorway, not heard any noise when switching between left and right cornering

It is a saloon and done just 130k

Phg said:
It is engine noise. The tyres don't appear to be losing pressing. The MOT advisory comments state that suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint nearside front upper

I have only noticed the noise whilst driving on the motorway, not heard any noise when switching between left and right cornering

It is a saloon and done just 130k
Those upper control arm ball joints tend to wear very suddenly... if you had an advisory a while back then it might now have excessive play. Easy to check using just a small torch - with the wheels dead ahead, hold a torch in your mouth and shine it onto the UCA ball joint just behind the top of the tyre tread while rocking the top of the wheel with both hands. The extent of the wear will be obvious.

Probably best to sort this problem before looking at other possible problems. The whole UCA (complete with ball joint) can be bought for around £30 (I use Meyle) and are easy enough to fit (although the suspension leg does need to be unbolted and moved outwards to allow the UCA bolts to be withdrawn).