What's new

7th Gen lower control arm replacement

Accord-EX

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-CTDI EX
Have many of you guys changed the lower control arms in your 7th Gen accords?

My 2.2 icdti is approaching 160k miles and I've noticed the lower compliance bush is torn and will need replaced so I was going to replace both control arms which will come with bushes pre fitted. There seems to be a number of different manufactures at different prices - which are recommended?? I dont think I'll want to fork out Honda prices but at the same time I dont want cheap Chinese versions either.

I've also got 2 ball joints which I'd like to fit but this will require a bench to press them in - do you think its ok to not replace or is this a good time to just go get these done as well

Cheers

If you have no play with the lower ball joints then just fit the lower control arms.

I have done mine in 2015 and I had no play with my ball joints. I went for the Eurocarparts Q-Drive special because I was not really fussed (this car is just used for random jobs), it was better than any broken bushes.

Replacing the lower arms is pretty straightforward unless, like mine, the bolt that goes through the front (compliance) bush is heavily corroded into the bush... my driver's side bolt was so badly attached to the metal centre of the bush that forcing it undone actually pushed up the captive bole and broke the weld, so I had to drive the bolt out from above using socket set extensions as a drift and hammering the bolt downwards to break the corrosion and get it out.

Removing the split pin from the lower ball joint nut was impossible, so I simply undid the nut, broke off the pin, then drilled it out using a 3mm drill.

Torque settings from the Honda ESM (in lb.ft):
Compliance (front) bush bolt - 61
Inboard wishbone bush bolt - 47
Clamp mounting onto bottom of shock absorber (top of horseshoe link) - 32
Bottom of horseshoe link onto outboard wishbone bush bolt - 47
Drop link - 22
Lower ball-joint onto wishbone - 58-65 (tighten to lower figure then, if necessary, continue tightening until the new split pin can be inserted).

My Meyle arms cost around £115 for the pair and came with lower ball joints. When I replaced the arms I decided that the ball joints were OK, based on not being able to feel any free play, so did not replace them. However the car failed it's next MoT (a year on) on both ball joints having excess play, so I ended up fitted them last March... actually it's quite an easy job to drive the old ones out/new ones in using a drift and a club hammer so, seeing as you have them already, I would replace the ball joints while the car is apart. DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE ABS SENSORS WHEN REMOVING THE HUB KNUCKLE... I cannot stress that enough, as I destroyed both front ABS sensors trying to remove them and the replacements can be expensive and time-consuming to fit. Unplug the sensors just inside the inner wings and remove the hub knuckle with sensors complete with their wiring (cable tie it all together). My new ball joints came with nylock nuts with no provision for split pins, so I also used Loctite thread lock.

I bought a compliance bush from Honda, it was under £20 and got it fitted to the original arm. I've had bad experiences with pattern arms in the past on other cars so decided on this route.

I ***ume the whole knuckle has to come out to replace the ball joints? Although I don't have play in mine the rubber dust covers are looking very cracked and I don't think they'll last much longer.

Yes I see he has pairs for sale at around £119 but there is no manufacturer listed. I can only find Meyle at £89 each on ebay

Jon_G said:
I can't confirm that number, as mine (bought early in 2016) are no longer available. Both my pair (complete with lower ball joints) were only £117, so that seems very expensive. I used this eBay seller... http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/johnyboy-1?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754 and can recommend him.

Accord-EX said:
Yes I see he has pairs for sale at around £119 but there is no manufacturer listed. I can only find Meyle at £89 each on ebay
I had to ask him and he gave me a choice of Meyle or First Line.

Hmm ok I'll maybe send him a message then cheers