What's new

N22A1 engine removal

traderbob

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
Hi all,

Straight forward enough question this I reckon.

My engine in my accord is being replaced by a friend and he has said he is going to try to lift it out with gearbox intact. Personally I think the space looks tight......

Anybody done an engine swap on one of these without removing box first? Also any tips for making life easy on this one would be much appreciated.

Robert

It will come out in one lump with the engine high and the gearbox low. (Probably about a 30 degree angle)
A balance bar on the motor makes life so much easier.

You'll need all the auxiliaries off the front (I removed the inlet manifold too - for cleaning), the radiator out of the way (the crossmember under it has a flat top for standing on) and the turbo off the back - manifold can stay fitted.

I swapped my motor a couple of years back for an N22A2 from a civic.

Great time for checking the DMF, and of course the exhaust manifold for cracks.

While the bay's empty, take the opportunity to fit a new genuine fuel filter too.
Worth cleaning the inlet manifold, and fitting new timing and oil pump chains to the new motor as they'll be nice and easy to do while it's out the car.

Thanks for this Matt and sorry about the delay - engine drop complete and car running fine just an issue with the rear abs sensors now i need to sort out but going to post up about this now

If possible try and take some pics of the whole process and post back. Would be good to see.

Good luck and any questions please feel free to ask