What's new

Looking for a new car, possibly between Passat and 8th gen Accord, need help to decide

Don101

Members
Reaction score
Car
7th Gen 2.2 EX
Hi guys, just had my 7th gen Accord written off and I'm currently looking for a replacement asap. I'm looking at VW Passats and 8th gen Accords. I'm leaning more towards the Accord, however just wanted to know if the 8th gen is reliable and whether I should go for petrol or diesel? I've read issues with the DPF on the diesels, should I avoid these or not? Any useful info on this will be most appreciated, as I will most likely getting my car this weekend at the latest.

All modern diesels have DPFs and none that I'm aware of are without problems. If you do above average mileage and do decent stretches of fast A road / motorway that will allow the DPF to take care of itself you shouldn't discount one. If you're lower mileage or mostly start stop maybe stick to petrol, or at the very least begin your ownership clued up and knowing what to expect. Bare in mind if the car has been driven / serviced in a DPF unfriendly way by its previous owner(s) you might have to pick up the bill.

I don't know how long you plan to keep the car, but diesel is suffering a lot of bad press lately and long term its future is uncertain. You might even get charged extra for driving certain routes...

I like my 8th gen diesel very much, and it hasn't caused me any heartache yet, but I will be looking at my options carefully next time I change the car.

IMO Passats are two a penny, an 8th Gen Accord has some rarity value :)

If DPF's worry you, you need to steer well clear of anything Awful German car!

This swear filter about VW is silly

I read a few days ago that the government is going to make DPF removal illegal, is that true or not?

Don101 said:
I read a few days ago that the government is going to make DPF removal illegal, is that true or not?
Not sure about that, if you can remember where, it would be useful to know, because at present it's not illegal to remove a DPF but it is illegal to drive a car with the DPF removed

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/17/diesel-particulate-filter-removal-air-pollution-department-for-transport

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

freddofrog said:
Not sure about that, if you can remember where, it would be useful to know, because at present it's not illegal to remove a DPF but it is illegal to drive a car with the DPF removed

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/17/diesel-particulate-filter-removal-air-pollution-department-for-transport

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter
Sorry that's what I meant, illegal to drive with the DPF removed. How do you know if the DPF has been removed? Should I avoid cars that have this removed?

Don101 said:
Sorry that's what I meant, illegal to drive with the DPF removed. How do you know if the DPF has been removed? Should I avoid cars that have this removed?
AFAIK it's virtually impossible to tell by physical examination, and the only way that I can think of enforcement, would be for some government department to set up random roadside testing where they look at the ECU software. Note that this would be too big a task to ask on the MOT (unless they increase the MOT cost on diesel cars so that the test stations could get the necessary equipment and the time to do it).
But the issue in any potential prosecution would be to show which owner of the car (present or previous) had had the DPF removal undertaken ......"I didn't know that the DPF had been removed your honour"

Hi Don, currently looking at changing my 8th Gen 2.4 purely because I've changed jobs and will now be driving over 30k a year. The old girl has 86k on the clock. I've had her 2 years and she has never missed a beat! I've been warned away from diesels, even though I'm motorwaying it most of the time. The EGR valves don't do diesels many favours either. I'd go petrol if you can. I've read the 2.0i's are under powered. I'm happy with the 2.4, although I must say, it's not mega fast but that's probably comparing it to my last car which was a Volvo T5 !! Good Luck with your decision making !!

Buffalo44 said:
Hi Don, currently looking at changing my 8th Gen 2.4 purely because I've changed jobs and will now be driving over 30k a year. The old girl has 86k on the clock. I've had her 2 years and she has never missed a beat! I've been warned away from diesels, even though I'm motorwaying it most of the time. The EGR valves don't do diesels many favours either. I'd go petrol if you can. I've read the 2.0i's are under powered. I'm happy with the 2.4, although I must say, it's not mega fast but that's probably comparing it to my last car which was a Volvo T5 !! Good Luck with your decision making !!
Thanks for the useful info much appreciated. TBH I would happily go for a petrol version, the only problem is I do a lot of miles mainly motorways, 20k per year. Therefore I think I might be temped to go for a diesel and will be going to view 1 tomorrow actually. Fingers crossed it wont be a lemon.

No worries and good luck with the viewing. If MPG worries you, I quite quickly get up to 40-43 average mpg in mine if I stick to 70-75mph, as you should :0)

Hi and welcome aboard [emoji112] guess you will be on here a lot of you have choose a diesel good luck you will need it. It's simple pay at the pump or at the garage unless you will be doing your own maintenance

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Any Honda over any European manufacture. Had VW and Merc's both were more trouble than any Honda i've owned.