What's new

black smoke and limp mode 2004 ictdi 111000 miles

Kaneoid

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi guys.
I was on the motorway today plodding along at about 75mph. I moved into the 3rd lane to overtake and noticed the car was smoking a bit from the exhaust so i put my boot down thinking it was something daft and it would clear. I got to around 95mph and still bellowing black smoke, then an engine management light popped up and the car went into limp mode. I pulled onto the hard shoulder, plugged in the old trusty OBD tool and it gave a code. I cant remember the code but it related to ford and bmw fuel pump. I cleared the code and all is fine except for there is still quite a bit of black smoke. Any ideas? Am i looking at replacing the pump? Thanks for looking :x

If you can advise what the actual code is then we can take the guesswork out of it.

Unfortunately i cleared the code before making note :/ and i havent been able to replicate it since

Hopefully you get it sorted soon.

Guess it's waiting game until the code comes back mate so then you can narrow the issue down.

I know its not a lot to go on. Just thought someone might have had the same issue

Wait until the error code comes back.. get it tattooed onto your forehead next time!

If it ran ok then I'm guessing it was the IMRC stuck in the wrong position (P2004, P2006, P2008 or P2016?)

Everything is standard as far as im aware. Definitely not decatted and the power seems pretty standard so i dont think there has been a re map

Hopefully a one-off incident, but could be caused by the VNT mechanism in the turbo sticking, or the boost actuator failing? I wouldn't panic unless it happens again soon.

I often get black smoke, but never the management light. But its not all the time. I put it down to gunk in the intake manifold restricting the air flow and making the engine run a bit rich. I managed to remove alot of it from the throttle body and part of the manifold as well as the air intake sensor. Ive only owned the car since January and it hasn't been looked after well, ive been battling with minor things for a while like poor servings symptoms. Is there anything i can do to maybe clean the turbo? Im not too sure on what to look for

Loads of things can cause smoking. It's really not that serious on a diesel! You're probably right to blame a gunked-up intake?

Maybe ill book it in for a terraclean and done with it. See if that helps?

I was just thinking that because there is an obvious large build up of carbon everywhere it might be a good thing. But im not one to go against a professional opinion :) Thanks for the input, always appreciated

I'm not a professional, but thanks.

Terraclean goes into the fuel system, so it couldn't possibly clean the intake manifold or turbo... fuel is not present at these locations!

Oh i see. I was under the impression that it was used within the air system also :/ oh well, every day is a school day i suppose

Mbaccord had a similar issue only a few weeks back. It was egr stuck slightly open causing overboost. A number of DTC codes has been suppressed due to a poor remap. I would try blanking the egr and see how it runs. If you want a price for some some proper diagnostics including a check of your ecu software flash then drop me a line.

I would really appreciate a price please f6had. Ive heard good things about you so it wouldnt hurt

Drop me a pm with your vehicle details and location and I'll reply later

Update.
So, i did a little digging while i was away on holiday. It turns out that the issue lies with the intake manifold pressure sensor. It was covered in black gunky carbon. A little spray with contact cleaner and all is good.