What's new

High mileage petrol accord - a good buy?

markquinton

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Ex 2.0 i-vtec
Hi All

I'm desperately in the market for a new motor as i'm leaving my company car behind (change of job) next week. I will only be driving 3 miles to work and a few journeys a week to go and see local clients so therefore was ideally looking for a petrol motor and it has to be an estate as we are looking to get a large dog. The problem is i've really struggled to find any 8 gen petrol accord estates within 100miles so I had turned my attention to spending between 8-10k on a diesel such as a Passat estate. However today a 59 plate Accord 2.0 has turned up near me for 5k but the problem is it has 133k but loads of history and appears well maintained. I don't really want to spend more money on a Passat as my heart isn't it in but equally i know that 5k isn't much less and the Accord is older and has big miles. ***uming that I may be able to get the car for £4700 ish do you think I should be put off by the mileage and look elsewhere? I need a car quickly so will envitably end up spending more on a Passat or Mondeo if I ignore the Accord.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Mark

accord1.jpg

A fellow taxi driver I know ran his old 7th gen petrol accord to about 360,000 miles and he just had to do basic maintenance. He then switched to an 8th gen petrol accord and swears by Honda's petrol engines.

Edit* - just to add to this, his mechanic ended up buying his car off him.

Even though I own the diesel version I can't help but feel the big bills are more likely with a diesel now a days. DPF, Clutch, flywheel ect.

I'd also think things like tires may last longer on the petrol model because of the lighter engine and less aggressive torque curve. Personally I think the petrol would match if not exceed the diesel for reliability. Just not for economy. My two pence

Petrol Accords are generally considered to be pretty bulletproof, but that is a fair old mileage! Maybe OK if there's decent history showing what's been replaced, etc.

Just my personal opinion, but £5k seems a bit steep. That's what would put me off, rather than the mileage.

Yeah I don't disagree although if you do a search on autotrader for gen8 petrol accords there are next to none available. I saw a 59 plate with 60k for sale at a nearby Honda dealer recently for 9k. I'd be happier closer to the 4k mark from a dealer but I doubt they'll budge that much!

I see that that trader/dealer is also selling an iDTEC for same amount, also 59 reg, similar mileage.

A few years ago one of my sons bought a SEAT Leon diesel for top price from a trader/dealer , I went with him to look at it, their warranty was a cast-iron 12 month warranty and covered virtually everything. Good job too as, in this case, it turns out that the car had been remapped a result of which was that the injectors packed up. I suspect that that trader/dealer lost a lot of money getting it fixed, schadenfreude.

Similarly, for £5k on a car of that year, I would want a cast iron 12 months warranty, otherwise £5k is too much. I can't see much to go wrong on a 2.0 Accord though, except for clutch, which is time-consuming on these cars.

If it's got a decent history then 133k wouldn't bother me. Mine had 120k when I bought it, history was good, drove sweet, feels fresh as a daisy. Go on the TSX forums and 133k is low mileage.

Cheers for all the responses. I know 5k is a lot and I'd want a deal on it. The downside of Honda's holding their value I guess!

Cheers for all the responses. I know 5k is a lot and I'd want a deal on it. The downside of Honda's holding their value I guess!

133k isn't a lot at all..had a Toyota Corolla 1.4 petrol, had 130k when I bought it, just under 180k when I sold it.. really doubt a well maintained Honda petrol engine would give you any trouble.. it will go forever if you service it regularly.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Mark Quinton said:
Hi All

I'm desperately in the market for a new motor as i'm leaving my company car behind (change of job) next week. I will only be driving 3 miles to work and a few journeys a week to go and see local clients so therefore was ideally looking for a petrol motor and it has to be an estate as we are looking to get a large dog. The problem is i've really struggled to find any 8 gen petrol accord estates within 100miles so I had turned my attention to spending between 8-10k on a diesel such as a Passat estate. However today a 59 plate Accord 2.0 has turned up near me for 5k but the problem is it has 133k but loads of history and appears well maintained. I don't really want to spend more money on a Passat as my heart isn't it in but equally i know that 5k isn't much less and the Accord is older and has big miles. ***uming that I may be able to get the car for £4700 ish do you think I should be put off by the mileage and look elsewhere? I need a car quickly so will envitably end up spending more on a Passat or Mondeo if I ignore the Accord.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Mark

accord1.jpg

< 100 miles and dog friendly, a bit biased but hey, its not a V6 engine but still awesome :)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709099135775?radius=100&advertising-location=at_cars&model=LEGACY&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&sort=sponsored&postcode=nr21ad&make=SUBARU&page=1

Admittedly I looked at one the last generation Legacy's with the 2.5cvt engine. I'm just not sure that I could put up with 23mpg around town and a max of 30mpg on a run.

Jon_G said:
It's 11 years old! It's already a scrapyard dodger...
Legacies will outlive you Jon, they will still be having a rasping boxer 6 growl when you are in some faraway land consoling yourself on the demise of diesels.!

Jon_G said:
And there's that whole 'Subaru social outcast' embarrassment to contend with...
better enlighten us Jon, nothing screams embarrassment to me that driving a diesel and giving it loads only to leave behind a reeking pile of crap in your wake.

Mark Quinton said:
Admittedly I looked at one the last generation Legacy's with the 2.5cvt engine. I'm just not sure that I could put up with 23mpg around town and a max of 30mpg on a run.
this one i posted has manual box and is a SpecB, simply put it will (as Jon put it) embarrass all the cars mentioned above, but hey if you are worried about mpg and all that its probably not for you.

I dont do huge miles like yourself so dont see what the problem is - drive a nice car like a SpecB and you have to make some sacrifices, the economy figures mentioned is par for the course for any resonably high performance 6 pot engine plus its reliable.

LOL, you thought a Honda Accord was the best car ever when you owned one Eric!

Then Lexus became the best manufacturer ever.

Then Mercedes became the best manufacturer ever (but not for very long!).

Now Subaru is the best manufacturer ever.

What next... Vauxhall?

Jon_G said:
LOL, you thought a Honda Accord was the best car ever when you owned one Eric!

Then Lexus became the best manufacturer ever.

Then Mercedes became the best manufacturer ever (but not for very long!).

Now Subaru is the best manufacturer ever.

What next... Vauxhall?
they all have their merits, Honda, Lexus and Subaru, Mercedes are what they are incredible cars (V8 petrols) but best to not get ones with a MOT obtained through dubious means.

A SpecB Subaru is better than a Honda Accord, a Corolla (obviously), and IMO better than a Lexus IS250 also - Lexus is great for wafting about but no driver involvement.

You are so brainwashed on Diesel Jon I am surprised you dont drink the stuff on the rocks.