What's new

Pas & alternator belt question.

MyfirstVtech

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
Ok so I put a shorter non air-con model belt on as after changing the aux belts I was getting squeal on start up from cold for a second or 2 then when I put the air-con on it would squeal it's ***s off and possibly would only go away when warm.

First thing is with no belt on the air-con pulley, engine running and air-con off should I be able to turn the air-con pulley easily and when I turn the air-con on should the pulley have a little resistance?

And secondly the belts I bought where new gates ones, is it a case of the belt just wasn't tight enough or could it possibly be that I didn't tighten it enough?

I'm a bit confused by what your doing, is this different from your other thread ? --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23885-possible-aircon-squeal/

I have an idea, state the first 11 characters of the VIN on your car (NOT the full VIN, leave out the last 5 characters that identify your car to you) , and also state the Gates numbers of the belts, then with a bit of detective work, it might be possible to say whether you've been supplied with the wrong belts.

Ah yes well that one thread I did think was the air-con clutch going but after thinking about it it does seem more belt tension and as I couldn't adjust the topic ***le I thought best to start a new one with a more open ***le.
Humblest apologies Mr frog,

My second bit should have been is it safe to start the car with the power steering belt not attached just so I can narrow the noise down and eliminate another light whine noise that some have lead me to believe is a normal Honda thing of the pas pump whine? And if so is the fix just a new o ring at the top hose?

I shall do the vin number shortly thanks

I think the VIN should be something like SHH CG8 740 1U xxx xxx (don't put the xxx xxx) , I need to know if the CG8 740 is correct

Cool thanks here it is
SHHCH67201U and the belt number of the gates one that I put on that included the air-con is 6PK1103 2017W09 gates micro v horizon

Right, you can find drawings for your car by putting SHHCH67201U201111 (or any random 20xxxx) in here --> http://www.lingshondaparts.com/cars/oem-car-parts-diagrams.html

There are two belts on your car ?

Honda part number 56992-PAA-506 for the PS pump
--> http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection?block_01=17S4A11&block_02=E__1901&block_03=6898&block_05=hcr

Honda part number 38920-PAA-A03 for the alternator and A/C compressor
--> http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection?block_01=17S4A11&block_02=E__0601&block_03=6898&block_05=hcr
--> http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection?block_01=17S4A11&block_02=B__5700&block_03=6898&block_05=hcr

The generic part number for the latter is 6PK1105 , so 6PK1103 is perfectly ok (it's 2mm shorter).

But yes, you can run the engine with both belts removed, but don't attempt to drive it like that. Note also that the alternator won't be running either, so if you run it too long, the battery may go flat.

If there is no noise with both belts removed, try each belt separately. If the squeal is ***ociated with one of the belts being on, if the belt is new then either the belt isn't tight enough, or it could be a bearing on something that the belt is running.

Jesus mate that lingshonda is awesome thankyou very much it shows absolutely everything even different options of gear knob and front badge.

I will tackle the belts and thanx also I feel at ease now that I can take both belts off and run the engine to narrow down the noise. Hopefully with them both off the slight whine noise will go and then put the air-con/alt belt on and get that tensioned up properly, try the air-con and fingers crossed the noise should go as it wasn't there before I changed the belts.
Then put the pas belt on and get that tight enough. Is it supposed to be able to to turn a quarter at its longest point as I worry that the 10Mm bolt that is used to tension it may snap?

MyfirstVtech said:
Then put the pas belt on and get that tight enough. Is it supposed to be able to to turn a quarter at its longest point as I worry that the 10Mm bolt that is used to tension it may snap?
I'm not sure, but yes best to be conservative if you think it will snap.

btw, on that lingshonda, UK cars are KE
also, whenever you get to a parts page, the part numbers will be listed as "PFKL", to get Honda part numbers remove "_pfk" from the url of the page

Well today I tackled the belts job.
Took both belts off and started the car and the noise remained tbh it isn't that loud maybe just the Honda engine noise.
Finally got the air-con/alt belt on and started the car and managed to get the tension right first time, fired up the air-con and all is well. I suppose if the air-con clutch was going it would have squealed as soon as I turned it on.
I then got the pas belt on and tensioned up and she seems to be running better.
Revs rise when I switch the air-con on and ice cold air.